Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matpl89
Punch Card
Message 1 of 6

x220 tablet 4 hours battery

Hi

I just got my laptop and after charging the battery to the max for 4 hours straight, the battery died after 4 hours using word 2010. The settings were on medium with 70% brightness. the turbo boost is not on too.

any comments?

Where is that 9 hours promissing battery life? even on the lowest setting its only 6 hours.

matpl89
Punch Card
Message 2 of 6

Re: x220 tablet 4 hours battery

The fan is sometimes really noisy, and when i reduce to max bat life (min brightness, ect.) i get now 3:45 h battery... I guess ill call a tech

JesseBAndersen
Punch Card
Message 3 of 6

[deleted]

joncordova
802.11n
Message 4 of 6

BTW, JesseBAnderson, you're awesome!

I called up Lenovo tech help to ask about it; on my X220 laptop, the rep said 5 hours is normal even with the 9 cell.

The favorable battery life numbers from CNET and Engadget use video loops at 60 per cent brightness. The truth is, even those are easy tests, because there are probably no other programs multitasking at the time. The Lenovo rep confirmed that battery life is just a matter of keeping processor utilization low.

Notebookcheck posts a number for max load in their review, full brightness with benchmarking software taxing the processor. In that test, the X220 drains its 6-cell in 1 hour.

I find normal browsing is actually processor intensive for one reason. Flash ads and Flash video. They clobber processor utilization. Think about it. GPU acceleration only helps HD video. I think.

It makes an argument for weaker processors. A full-voltage Intel Core will pull 65 watts at its peak, according to Notebookcheck, and will pull 25 watts even when throttling itself to 800mhz, I find. That doesn't count power for the screen, it seems. The 9-cell has 93 Watt hours, the 6-cell has 65 watt hours. Pulling 25 watts, the total 158 watt hours from the 9-cell+slice combo would be depleted in 6.3 hours even with the whole thing downclocking itself to 800 Mhz.

An Intel Atom or AMD E-350 would never be capable of pulling more than 25 or 30 watts.

It seems it's just the trade off we make.

chaosphoenix
Blue Screen Again
Message 5 of 6

Thats not true. If you pull up power manager, it shows the system power draw. For the tablets, the idle draw is around 7-9W (its higher than the non tablets which have 5-6W because the digitizer needs to be powered as well).

joncordova
802.11n
Message 6 of 6

Yes, but it's 5-7 watts at complete idle. A single web page with a Flash ad or Flash video--or a Windows 7 "gadget" like the clock or a CPU monitor, or keeping Task Manger open--will increase the power draw, in my experience.

That is just my experience, though. If you have any ideas how I can curb the power draw on my machine, I'm more than open to suggestions.

I have a second RAM module and a USB 3.0 adapter parked in the Expresscard 54 slot. I figure those must be pulling some extra watts at idle, but not enough to account for the 15-25 watts the Power Manager usually shows me while browsing.

Top Kudoed Authors