Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 559
Message 1 of 6

x230 Tablet keyboard issue

Hello, I started a new post because this is a different Error.

After I updated my x230t using the recommeneded updates from the website, my keyboard suddenly stopped working.

I tried re-installing windows but the error remained.

I eventually found the issue being that when I start up the PC, the Fn key is stuck as if its still pressed, even when its not (the key itself isnt stuck).

To solve this, I went into Bios and swapped the Fn key with left Ctrl, and now whenever I boot up the PC I plug in an external keyboard and press left Ctrl, this "unsticks" the left Ctrl key (which is physically the Fn key after I swapped them)  and lets me use the computer normally.

What could have caused it? is it unrelated to windows seeing as it happened after I clean installed? how do I go about fixing it? and can I contact an offical Lenovo support somewhere online?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 556
Message 2 of 6

Re: x230 Tablet keyboard issue

I would just replace the keyboard.  This sort of problem is almost always a short in the keyboard.  Used ones are commonly available.  The T430, X230, T530, W530 all use the same keyboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 552
Message 3 of 6

The problem is not in the keyboard, it worked perfectly before the update and suddenly its not working.

Also I just asked the Lenovo support guys, and after doing what they told me to and going to Bios -> Load Setup Defaults my PC wont turn on anymore, it just gos staright to Windows and an error on start up, restarting nad it loops.

TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 541
Message 4 of 6

So im back at square one, clean install of Win 10, current Bios 2.65.

Like I said, on start up its as if the Fn button is pressed and I cannot unstuck it, I went into bios and swapped Fn with Ctrl and now when I plug in an external keyboard and press left Ctrl on it, its all fixed.

This wasnt a thing until I updated Bios / installed all the drivers and what not when I just got the laptop.

Should I just keep going back in Bios versions until its fixed

Also could this be a cause of me choosing English/Hebrew languages when I just installed windows on this x230t which is in france?

The keyboard is also in france, maybe choosing English / Hebrew setup it changed something?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 530
Message 5 of 6

In the BIOS under config/keyboard and mouse, make sure Fn lock is disabled

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 510
Message 6 of 6

It is disabled, I downgraded the Bios to 2.65, still didnt do anything.

What I did figure out is that if I close the laptop (fold it in half and put it into sleep mode) and open it back up it also resets the issue.

After I do that the Fn key (which functions as control) "unsticks" but like in the other situations, its unusable (you can click it but it does nothing).

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors