Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 354
Message 1 of 6

x230 Tablet keyboard issue

Hello, I started a new post because this is a different Error.

After I updated my x230t using the recommeneded updates from the website, my keyboard suddenly stopped working.

I tried re-installing windows but the error remained.

I eventually found the issue being that when I start up the PC, the Fn key is stuck as if its still pressed, even when its not (the key itself isnt stuck).

To solve this, I went into Bios and swapped the Fn key with left Ctrl, and now whenever I boot up the PC I plug in an external keyboard and press left Ctrl, this "unsticks" the left Ctrl key (which is physically the Fn key after I swapped them)  and lets me use the computer normally.

What could have caused it? is it unrelated to windows seeing as it happened after I clean installed? how do I go about fixing it? and can I contact an offical Lenovo support somewhere online?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 351
Message 2 of 6

Re: x230 Tablet keyboard issue

I would just replace the keyboard.  This sort of problem is almost always a short in the keyboard.  Used ones are commonly available.  The T430, X230, T530, W530 all use the same keyboard

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 347
Message 3 of 6

The problem is not in the keyboard, it worked perfectly before the update and suddenly its not working.

Also I just asked the Lenovo support guys, and after doing what they told me to and going to Bios -> Load Setup Defaults my PC wont turn on anymore, it just gos staright to Windows and an error on start up, restarting nad it loops.

TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 336
Message 4 of 6

So im back at square one, clean install of Win 10, current Bios 2.65.

Like I said, on start up its as if the Fn button is pressed and I cannot unstuck it, I went into bios and swapped Fn with Ctrl and now when I plug in an external keyboard and press left Ctrl on it, its all fixed.

This wasnt a thing until I updated Bios / installed all the drivers and what not when I just got the laptop.

Should I just keep going back in Bios versions until its fixed

Also could this be a cause of me choosing English/Hebrew languages when I just installed windows on this x230t which is in france?

The keyboard is also in france, maybe choosing English / Hebrew setup it changed something?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 325
Message 5 of 6

In the BIOS under config/keyboard and mouse, make sure Fn lock is disabled

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TL94
Fanfold Paper
Views: 305
Message 6 of 6

It is disabled, I downgraded the Bios to 2.65, still didnt do anything.

What I did figure out is that if I close the laptop (fold it in half and put it into sleep mode) and open it back up it also resets the issue.

After I do that the Fn key (which functions as control) "unsticks" but like in the other situations, its unusable (you can click it but it does nothing).