Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdituro
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,065
Message 1 of 4

x320t EEPROM Write-protected when resetting ID

I am a tech working an many x230t 's under contract. Have sucessfully replaced motherboards and reset the System ID on several units with the maintanence Disk (ver 1.86) on USB. I just recieved a new batch of replacement system boards, and on this batch I am having dificuty. When I choose set system identification, get the EEPROM is write-protected warning. When I try rebooting with the escape key I get the same message. I saw on other posts that the BIOS has to be in diagnostic boot mode to unwrite-protect the EEPROM. I have tried this without success. Are there any other procedures with which I am not familar, that might help.

Please let me know ASAP. I have many laptops to repair.

Thanks in advance for your help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,966
Message 2 of 4

Re: x320t EEPROM Write-protected when resetting ID

The only other thing is that I would make sure UEFI and rapid boot are not set in the BIOS.  (I don't have an x230t to look at right now, but I would guess you have those options.  Have the machine turned off. When you startup (cold boot), hit the ESC key a couple of times as soon as you see the Lenovo logo. If you did it at the right time, it will boot from the maintenance disk automatically, even if other devices are higher in priority (no need to hit F12).  Hit F9 to reload defaults when you are done.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jdituro
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,921
Message 3 of 4

I tried what you suggested and was not able to get past the write-protection. The Staff at USMA had a bootable flash drive that functioned. I compared the files on my drive and theirs and the files were slightly different. So the Maintenance Disk version must be differen then the one I was provided.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,747
Message 4 of 4

This is primarily a peer-to-peer forum.  If you are a dealer or warranty service provider, you must have a better place to go for support.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors