Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 236
Message 11 of 40

Re: x61 error code 0000

@JCSH29 wrote:

Yes I tried to enter the rescue and recovery but I can't get past the black screen. If I order the recovery discs will that repair the ThinkPad? Where can I find them?

'afternoon.

Are you familiar with Linux, specifically, Linux Live CD?

Please let us know. It may be possible to rescue some or all of your personal files from the troublesome HDD before moving on to more drastic (reformatting / wiping) measures. If Linux can't mount the drive, it may be well and truly damaged, but one step at a time.

Cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

JCSH29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 236
Message 12 of 40

Nothing changed. This all started after the laptop froze and I couldn't shut it down properly. I had to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. Then when I turned it back on I got the Windows Recovery Error. The problems starteed from there. Everything is in its proper place. The hard drive is in its place and I haven't messed with the RAM. 

JCSH29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 233
Message 13 of 40

Good afternoon. I am not familiar with the Linux Live CD. I actually do not have any important personal files on my ThinkPad x61. I used this one while I was in high school and the tech center there wiped out everything that it had before I graduated. It used to run Windows XP but since they wiped everything out it has been running Windows Vista. I just got it not to long ago. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 229
Message 14 of 40

@JCSH29 wrote:

Good afternoon. I am not familiar with the Linux Live CD. I actually do not have any important personal files on my ThinkPad x61. I used this one while I was in high school and the tech center there wiped out everything that it had before I graduated. It used to run Windows XP but since they wiped everything out it has been running Windows Vista. I just got it not to long ago. 

Well, it's good that you'll lose nothing in a reformat.

Do you have an external cd/dvd drive? If so, using a Linux Live CD to boot the machine and try to mount the problem drive is a pretty easy task. It's just a matter of downloading the iso, burning to disk, setting the bios boot order and booting. If you can get Linux to mount the drive/file system and then shut down clean, it may clean up any file structures that are out of whack. This worked for me one time previously.

Alternatively, you could get a USB external drive enclosure, put your problem drive into it, attach it to another PC and see if it is recognized and is accessible. Again, if so, run a clean shutdown to see if that fixes any broken files structures and allows the problem drive to boot once again.

Please let me know if you'd like to try and we'll be happy to help further.

Cheers.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

JCSH29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 226
Message 15 of 40

I can burn the disc and download everything on this laptop but I would have to buy en external cd/dvd drive for the Lenovo ThinkPad. Will the ThinkPad read the the connection of the external cd/dvd drive even if I can't log on to my account. 

JCSH29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 222
Message 16 of 40

I cannot acces my user account on the computer. The farthest I can go is up to a black screen with the cursor. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 217
Message 17 of 40

@JCSH29 wrote:

I can burn the disc and download everything on this laptop but I would have to buy en external cd/dvd drive for the Lenovo ThinkPad. Will the ThinkPad read the the connection of the external cd/dvd drive even if I can't log on to my account. 

It's possible to create a Live Linux on a USB stick, but I'll need to read up on that. It's a bit more complicated.

The Linux boot won't care about your Windows account. If it "sees" the drive, it can try to mount it. If it's successful at mounting it, it can try to read the file system. That's the goal, anyway...

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 218
Message 18 of 40

@JCSH29 wrote:

I cannot acces my user account on the computer. The farthest I can go is up to a black screen with the cursor. 

Won't matter as we wouldn't be trying to boot the system on the troubled drive. We would only be trying to mount it to read it, then shut it down to make sure all of the file structures were in an orderly state.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 216
Message 19 of 40

All of the above is a fair piece of work.

Considering that you've stated there is nothing of value to recover on the HDD, you may just want to obtain the factory restore DVD set, as Ron suggested. Then, beg, borrow or steal ( Smiley Wink ) an external optical drive and try to run the restore. If the HDD barks, then you'll need a new hard drive to try the restore again.

I'm happy to try to help you through the Linux stuff, but there's no garantee. Your call...

JCSH29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 214
Message 20 of 40

I'm leaning more towards the recovery discs but I am also open to trying the Linux Live CD. How much memory will it take to successfully download it on a USB stick?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals