cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,726
Message 1 of 15

x61 tablet - How to map Shift key to tablet buttons?

Hi there,

I hope someone can answer me a little querstion. I recently bought a x61 tablet and am really happy with it. Although I could be much happier If someone could help me with the following problem.

I use Photoshop often, very often and for that reason I use the shift key a lot. In order for me to use it in tablet mode however I always have ot open the lid enough for my hand. I tried to map the tablet pc buttons in the control panel but it doesn't let me. I can map ctrl and alt and all of those but not shift.

Is there some secret way to map the shift key? Or do I have to use some loophole and remap one of my normal keys.

I hope someone can help me or at least tell me there is no way to do it. It would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks in advance

Pix (Short for Phoenix Smiley Happy)

sipp11
802.11n
Views: 4,721
Message 2 of 15

Re: x61 tablet - How to map Shift key to tablet buttons?

I don't really have a direct solution for this since I want to customize them as Ctrl, Shift, all kind of this as well. However, there is a workaround that I found it's really good.

What you have to have is "Mouse" Smiley Happy wired or wireless doesn't matter. Though I do recommend you to use wireless and Logitech as a brand. The reason why I recommend Logitech is because they have real nice SetPoint program which allows you to customize every buttons on your mouse. Then just map one of them as "shift" Smiley Tongue It works perfectly.. One hand with pen and another on mouse.

I think Razer and Microsoft are another brand I know which have this feature in their software.

ctoys
Token Ring
Views: 4,718
Message 3 of 15

I was able to apply the "Shift" key on my newly purchased X61 using Tablet and Pen settings within Control Panel.    Try it on the Esc button, in the Change window, highlight the existing "Esc" and press the Shift button on your Tablet PC Input Panel then click on the Apply button.   When you exit the Change Window, be sure that Shift shows up on the list next to Esc button.   What you will find is that now when you press the Tablet Esc Button, the Shift button will darken on the Tablet PC Input Panel.   Should work using the keyboard Shift button as well.   Try it again and let us know if it works for you. 

JEE

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,717
Message 4 of 15

that is an interresting approach and I will think about it although I would rather have the buttons mapped as shift so I can sit on the sofa, watch tv and edit pictures with the pen only.

I called lenovo support and they told me to download the hotkey driver and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I might try to remap one of the keys on my keyboard with a thirdparty program and try to map the button with that key afterwards.

If someone knows an official way to do it, let me know. 

Thanks

PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,716
Message 5 of 15

Hmm,

I tried using the driver and the the input panel trick, both don't work. I go to control panel, tablet pc and then on buttons. Click on esc and click change. Then I highlight the esc and click on shift, they are highlighted but nothing changes. I tried hitting enter but it only shows up as shift+Enter. I would be happy to map either button with shift. I just don't understand why it doesn't let me.

PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,711
Message 6 of 15

maybe its my driver, is there a way to reset the hotkey driver?
ctoys
Token Ring
Views: 4,673
Message 7 of 15

Pretty much out of ideas, but I do know changing the Esc Button to "Shift" didn't work the first time so I tried some variations.  Perhaps your method is slightly different.   

The Hotkey Utility is probably the best way to update drivers.   As another option you can try updating the drivers, from My Computer (right click), Manage, Device Manager, Human Interface Devices,  Thinkpad Tablet Keyboard and Buttons.   There is an update drivers button at this level. 

My three drivers associated with this selection were at the following versions:

i8042prt.sys  5.1.2600.2180

tkbtnpn.sys 2.3.2195.1620

tkbtnpn1.dll 3.0.1.0

Wouldn't think yours would be that much different.

Message Edited by ctoys on 07-09-2008 01:11 PM
Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,658
Message 8 of 15

hmm, it says its the most up to date, could it be a vista thing? I am using Vista Business
ctoys
Token Ring
Views: 4,618
Message 9 of 15

There are some noted support issues in other forums about hot/tablet buttons in Vista, but I would be surprised if the latest Lenovo tablets deployed were not tested for this feature.  Check to see if you're running the latest version of Windows Vista (Business) SP1.  
PHOENIX_X
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,614
Message 10 of 15

How do I see what version of vista I am running?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors