Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad X1 Fold
All Forum Topics
Options

5526 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39865 Signins

764003 Page Views

• Views: 764003
  • Message 1 of 8

Living with the ThinkPad X1 Fold

2020-11-20, 16:21 PM

To complement the most excellent detailed technical review by our own @richk, I want to add some thoughts about this brilliant piece of engineering and manufacturing. I've had a pre-release unit for a month. The question I found myself asking as I used it daily for various tasks was: "What is it?".

1. The ThinkPad X1 Fold is a marvelous piece of engineering and manufacturing

It's hard to describe without actually doing it yourself, but the way the X1F1 unfolds flat is just amazing. Close up I was expecting to see the actual fold and that it would bother me. Instead it literally melts away. The OLED display just punches through and makes it disappear. Of course if you work on it and look at it from just the right shallow angle you can see evidence of the fold, but if you're actually using it for something at a normal viewing angle, visible signs of the fold melt away. Fragility is not a concern. This is a solid, no free-play, sturdy folding package.

X1F1: Hinge peeping at you from under its vanity cover

2. The ThinkPad X1 Fold can become a 13.3" tablet

Not only that, but a touchscreen tablet which folds to half-size. It's a pleasure to use for reading long documents and long web pages. The 2048 x 1536 resolution is crisp.

X1F1: Look how many community posts I can show you at once!
X1F1: Prop me up with the kickstand and you've got a movie screen
X1F1: Kickstand me

It's a fully-functional Windows 10 tablet, including a Wacom-enabled touchscreen and Lenovo Mod Pen stylus. On its own the tablet weighs about 1kg (2.2lbs), light enough for most purposes, but a tad heavy if you're planning on holding it in the air for a long time. If you're carrying the keyboard and stylus too, total weight without charging adapter is just over 2.6lbs.

Mod Pen: USB-C charging. Whee!

I'm an infrequent stylus user so not the most qualified to comment on the Lenovo Mod Pen. I like that it charges using the same USB-C as the tablet. It's Wacom-enabled. When you first use it, a Lenovo Pen Settings app from Wacom is installed. It gives you access to button and sensitivity settings.h

Mod Pen Settings app

Trivia question: Which has the bigger display: The 13.3" ThinkPad X1 Fold or the 14" X1 Carbon?

Answer: The X1 Fold has slightly more screen area than the X1 Carbon because has a 4:3 aspect ratio display vs the X1 Carbon's 16:9. 

X1F1: vs X1C8

3. The ThinkPad X1 Fold is a 9.5" mini notebook

When you place the mini bluetooth keyboard on the bottom half of the tablet screen, magnets gently tug it in place, and two things happen: The keyboard starts charging wirelessly and the active part of the display shrinks to fit the remaining visible half of the screen. That makes the combination like a mini notebook with a 9.5" screen. The resolution of the remaining display is an unusual 1536 x 1006, but Windows 10 copes fine with it. The keyboard has a usable touchpad, and of course the display is touch so whatever you need to get done you can do it. 

X1F1 Mini notebook mode!

The Fold mini keyboard is well, mini. It felt cramped to begin with but I got used to it after a while. It comes pre-loaded with quirks. The Ctrl and Fn keys are reversed compared to the usual ThinkPad arrangement, and there's no option to swap them. I keep hitting the wrong key there. The assumption is that you either charge the keyboard wirelessly by sitting it on the bottom half of the screen, or that you use a micro-USB charger which you must already have since none is supplied. It's a shame since the tablet and pen both use the supplied USB-C charger. 

4. The ThinkPad X1 Fold is a portable desktop computer

X1F1: Desktop mode

At 13.3" the X1F1 display makes a perfectly respectable desktop display, with a nice kickstand to boot. With the mini keyboard you have a complete desktop, suitable for banging out some edits or watching some media on the move or in a temporary working location. The screen is plenty big enough to share with a couple of friends or colleagues (when we get be close to them again).

Sadly, if you are using the kickstand you lose the USB-C port on the bottom edge. leaving only one USB-C port for charging or attaching other devices. 

If you can lift the tablet up somehow you CAN get at that second USB-C port. I did that long enough to show that the X1F1 will happily drive a pair of ThinkVision M14 USB-C FHD portable displays.

5. The ThinkPad X1 Fold is a book

While Windows 10 re-orients the tablet display as it changes orientation, the included Lenovo Mode Switcher software adds single and split-screen options.

X1F1: Lenovo Mode Switcher app for fold display arrangements

The X1F1 does all of this, and is available with a 5G connection option. Mine has it. It switches so seamlessly that at any given moment I can't tell whether it's using WiFi or 5G. I'm using a US AT&T nano SIM. Haven't been near a 5G mast yet so i tested 4G LTE only. But wait, there's more! The X1F1 is also packing WiFi 6, and I DID test that.

X1F1: Take that, Gigabit Ethernet cables!

6. What I dream of

For the next rev, I wish the screen was brighter than 300 nits for my frequent outdoor use (500 nits does it on the X1 Carbon). Dreaming really big, I'm a TrackPoint guy and would happily trade off a thicker wireless keyboard for that, with USB-C charging. More battery life would help for those long flights which I'm not taking (the spec says 10.6 hours but my rule of thumb is to halve that).

Conclusion

The X1 Fold Gen 1 folding tablet is an impressive piece of technology, a very handy size great for those uses where halving or doubling in size helps. While the core folding feature is solid, the rest is not exceptional and there are some quirks, such as the loss of one of two USB-C ports when using the kickstand, and the keyboard's micro-USB charging port, charger not included. I've already been impressing my friends and colleagues with demos of the X1F1's folding screen, virtually of course!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

11953 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40254 Signins

423714 Page Views

• Views: 423714
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Living with the ThinkPad X1 Fold

2020-11-20, 16:37 PM

I agree with all the comments about the engineering.  I am still fascinated by the hinge.  I did not notice the screen brightness issue but I have not used mine outdoors.  The cellular modem does not work with my carrier.  If that worked, I would be more likely to use it outside.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

170 Posts

01-28-2011

Germany

219 Signins

3201 Page Views

• Views: 3201
  • Message 3 of 8

2020-11-20, 17:00 PM
Amazing work. Thanks a lot!
ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Options

768 Posts

04-13-2012

Iceland

1297 Signins

58125 Page Views

• Views: 58125
  • Message 4 of 8

2020-11-21, 17:28 PM
Thanks for an excellent write-up! All the best from Iceland!
ThinkStation P620 - 3955WX/64GB // ThinkPad X1E Gen3 - i7-10850H/32GB
ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 - i7-2720QM/32GB
Options

15 Posts

12-08-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-12-11, 21:15 PM

After 2 weeks of (trying) to use X1 Fold I placed order for X1 Carbon gen 8 because I was not able to do my job on Fold. Keyboard constantly disconnecting, if you watch video for few minutes touch screen unresponsive on touch just a keyboard …I am on latest update. Amazing concept but far from good. Feel like its half baked just to be pushed out for sale. I did contacted Lenovo Customer Service for help and they opened ticket. Now is waiting time. I really tried my best to be patient with it but I paid that $3.000.00 and cant even do my job. I'm really considering returning it. 

Options

12 Posts

11-28-2020

United States of America

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 6 of 8

2020-12-12, 9:56 AM
SammyLag I hear you - I've certainly seen some deficiencies. I feel like a lot of the issues we're facing (that prevent it from being a capable machine for productivity) are fixable via software, but I'm not sure how to best communicate that to Lenovo. It would be handy if the product lead / product manager for the X1 Fold interacted with the community here so that they could take feedback from actual users and get software fixes out the door ASAP (or at least commit to timeframes so we know what to expect).
Options

15 Posts

12-08-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-12-12, 16:10 PM

@ fluffypony wrote:

SammyLag I hear you - I' certainly seen some deficiencies. I feel like a lot of the issues we' facing (that prevent it from being a capable machine for productivity) are fixable via software, but I' not sure how to best communicate that to Lenovo. It would be handy if the product lead / product manager for the X1 Fold interacted with the community here so that they could take feedback from actual users and get software fixes out the door ASAP (or at least commit to timeframes so we know what to expect).

Absolutely agree. This is Gen 1 and I did expect issue, but never issues with simple tasks like Microsoft Office and touch screen... Lenovo opened ticket on this 3 days ago and never heard back from them. Not sure if issues being addressed, is Lenovo working on these, do they even know about all these issues. Good thing is that my X1 Carbon just came in and I can at least do my job. I will wait for next week and try to get in contact with Lenovo again and make decision what to do next. 

Options

6 Posts

02-27-2021

Germany

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 8 of 8

2021-02-27, 22:15 PM

Thank you so much for this review.

You saved the walk to the shop for me

I might buy this ThinkPad as well. 

Änderungen und Wechsel sind ewig des Menschen Los.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms