10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Views: 4987
  • Message 1 of 13

W8 input panel settings?

2013-01-25, 4:19 AM

I just recalled that previous windows versions allowed me to tweak the settings for converting ink to text on the input panel.  I recall I could adjust the delay for converting my writing to text, and could have it automatically insert text after a certain delay as well.  Where are these settings in Windows 8? I can't fathom that Microsoft would not include them, but I can't find them...

JC

Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Views: 38544
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: W8 input panel settings?

2013-01-25, 5:42 AM
I found a math converter that works poorly, but nothing else.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

NL

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 3 of 13

2013-01-25, 8:05 AM

I think that Microsoft has simplified the interface somewhat for Windows 8, and the settings that you mention have been removed.

However, it is still possible to train the recognition engine to cope with your own style of writing. To do that, you need to have the language pack for the language you write in downloaded and installed. See:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/W8ITProPreRel/thread/017b2cb3-118d-4746-bebe-e024b0f25fb4

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2013-01-25, 14:28 PM

wrote:

I think that Microsoft has simplified the interface somewhat for Windows 8, and the settings that you mention have been removed.

However, it is still possible to train the recognition engine to cope with your own style of writing. To do that, you need to have the language pack for the language you write in downloaded and installed. See:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/W8ITProPreRel/thread/017b2cb3-118d-4746-bebe-e024b0f25fb4

Yes, you are correct, I have since found other forums verifying that MicroSoft royally screwed the pooch on the business tablet experience by throwing out about a decade of refinements to the tablet input panel.  If that sounds harsh to anyone reading this, then you more than likely haven't used a Windows XP/Vista/7 tablet with an active digitizer for taking notes and navigating with the stylus.  The Windows 7 stylus experience for both navigating and inking-to-text was phenomenal.  The Windows 8 experience is just... amateurish, I guess.  Its hard to convey my shock that MicroSoft did not include one of their most distinctive tablet tools.

Thanks for the suggestion on training the recognition.  But the recognition on my TPT2 is actually pretty good.  The problem is first how slow it is:  I write a word then have to stop for a full second for it to recognize (in previous versions I could change that delay from 1 milisecond to 1 second), then tap "insert" before I can write another word (previous version had option of auto-inserting).  Also the amount of screen used by the new touch keyboard is far more than is necessary when using the stylus:  In previous versions, the pop-up keyboard in response to a finger touch was different than that from a stylus touch, with the former being big and finger-friendly, and the latter being small and stylus-friendly.  And as other TPT2 users have already pointed out in other posts, the new interface no longer presents and hides automatically when the user taps in a text-entry field.  This really boggles my mind at how MicroSoft would think it preferable to force users to click an icon to show the keyboard and hide the keyboard instead of making it smart enough to present if I put the cursor in a text-entry area.

I am pretty happy with TPT2 design from the hardware and form factor perspective, but am becoming less happy with Windows 8.  Maybe Windows 7 on my TPT2?

EDIT:  Found a short video which illustrates the responsiveness and functionality of the W7 TIP.  Note how quickly the ink is recognized to text, and how the input panel can be repositioned around the screen.  This was a great tool for business tablet users for probably the last ten years (although it wasn't this polished in XP and Vista), and I just can't believe MicroSoft just tossed it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ybCS8qhvOU

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

NL

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2013-01-25, 14:45 PM

wrote:

The problem is first how slow it is:  I write a word then have to stop for a full second for it to recognize (in previous versions I could change that delay from 1 milisecond to 1 second), then tap "insert" before I can write another word (previous version had option of auto-inserting).  Also the amount of screen used by the new touch keyboard is far more than is necessary when using the stylus:  In previous versions, the pop-up keyboard in response to a finger touch was different than that from a stylus touch, with the former being big and finger-friendly, and the latter being small and stylus-friendly.  And as other TPT2 users have already pointed out in other posts, the new interface no longer presents and hides automatically when the user taps in a text-entry field.  This really boggles my mind at how MicroSoft would think it preferable to force users to click an icon to show the keyboard and hide the keyboard instead of making it smart enough to present if I put the cursor in a text-entry area.

Er, I don't think you are doing it right, possibly because you are used to the old version of handwriting recognition.

You don't have to write a word at a time, and pause between each word while it thinks about what the word is. Just keep going. In fact, the more words the better, because it seems as though the recognition engine is phrase-aware.

It is true that the interface doesn't present and hide automatically on the Desktop - that's why the icon is there in the taskbar. Of course, in Modern UI apps, the interface DOES present and hide automatically. Conspiracy theorists will probably think that's a deliberate move on Microsoft's part. I'm not so sure.

I have to say that I don't find the new interface a problem. It does what I want with the minimum of fuss. But then I haven't spent years using the previous generation.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

226 Posts

10-08-2011

Florida

1049 Signins

4987 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2013-01-25, 15:01 PM

wrote:
Er, I don't think you are doing it right, possibly because you are used to the old version of handwriting recognition.

You don't have to write a word at a time, and pause between each word while it thinks about what the word is. Just keep going. In fact, the more words the better, because it seems as though the recognition engine is phrase-aware.

Thanks.  But I guess I write too fast for W8, as I consistently fill up both lines in portrait orientation before it has converted anything to text.  Then I have to wait a second, then hit insert.

Take a look at the video I added to the previous post.  It cannot convey the experience of having used the previous versions for so many years, but it illustrates the flexibility and functionality and responsiveness that MicroSoft developed in the last three OS's, only to drop for Windows 8.

And also, yes, I think MicroSoft intentionally made the touch keyboard less user friendly in desktop mode than in the Metro/Modern UI to "motivate" acceptance of the latter.  I also think MicroSoft's attempt to make one interface for all their devices is going to cause them to lose market share in the PC/tablet arena.  I have an Android tablet with a touch interface that is great for social and light business use, but not for spending hours in spreadsheets or documents while simultaneously screen-sharing, etc.  For that, I want a PC (or a Mac I suppose) that gives me full utilization of the screen space as I see fit, not a dumbed-down view of tiles and panels that I can muck around with and get side by side sort of but which pause/suspend if I switch to another program or app.

Oh well.  We'll see. I readily admit that most innovations to old technology are greeted by angry users cursing and pulling out their hair only later to praise the new versions.  Maybe I will end up like that.  But not today!

JC

Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2013-01-25, 15:33 PM
I find even the Pro version of win 8 to be severely lacking in all areas when compared to win7. It feels underdone, hit and miss, and in need of massive improvements via updates, if that's even possible.
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

NL

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2013-01-25, 15:34 PM
Ah - portrait mode. Yes, I can see that would be frustrating. I've found the landscape mode much better to work with. YMMV, of course.

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

NL

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2013-01-25, 15:42 PM

wrote:
I find even the Pro version of win 8 to be severely lacking in all areas when compared to win7. It feels underdone, hit and miss, and in need of massive improvements via updates, if that's even possible.

I don't agree. There are lots of improvements under the covers over Windows 7, and the Desktop (apart from the removal of the Start Button and tweaks to the Task Manager and Windows Explorer) is exactly the same.

The Modern UI part of Windows 8 is of course totally new, and very different from anything that has gone before. As such, yes there will be rough areas and shortcomings. As use cases get back to Microsoft, we will see it evolve. Personally, I like it, and use it on both desktops (with mouse/keyboard) and tablets. I won't be dumbing back down to Windows 7.

Options

1808 Posts

08-17-2011

USA

5548 Signins

38544 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2013-01-25, 15:45 PM
Yes, I'm sure there many who will disagree, but my opinion stands. Can you say WindowsMe? :D
===================
Don't get mad, get root.
3679CTO
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete