Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Punch Card

Re: TS200V Processor Upgrade Options

[ Edited ]

It's interesting that you mention the Quadro graphics card.  I actually had a Quadro FX380 from another PC I stuck in the TS200V when I upgraded to the x3470.  Since the Xeon doesn't come with the onboard video unlike the i5, perhaps your BIOS isn't seeing a video device and that's why it's beeping?  It's been a couple years since I've built a PC, but I'm pretty sure that the BIOS will trigger beeps codes if it can't detect any video device.

Now that I think about your symptoms, I'd put $5 on it being this.

Solutions: 569
0 Kudos

given that there's no GPU listed in his config, that's a very, very good possibility.   the onboard video sockets become disabled with xeon procs and will throw a beep code if no GPU is installed.

ThinkStation C20      ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · 600Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the feedback.  I will install an NVIDIA graphics card later today and let you know how it goes.  Makes sense that the BIOS isn't happy with no GPU.  Thanks.

Paper Tape

Gentlemen we have liftoff !  Thanks for all the feedback.  I happen to gave a GeForce card laying around and popped it in.  Bingo !  No beepcodes and I now have a functional  server.  Feel pretty silly trying to run without a GPU but everything is obvious after you discover the problem.  Thanks again.

george

Punch Card
0 Kudos

This raises an interesting question. How common is it for users in the field to swap out a processor, and upgrade to a faster one ? I have not allowed for this in the PC Sales Guide/Configurator - it is hard enough to keep the matching second processors aligned !! With a little bit of work (I think) I might be able to set the data to allow for installation of a different processor, if and only if the standard one has been removed. But before I do all that work, I would prefer to hear from someone in Server Brand to tell me (1) this is common enough (2) the data I need to enable this is readily available (3) they think adding this capability is a good idea We could perhaps experiment with one family, to see how much work it is at my end, and how much value it would be for the end-user. Comments & suggestions are invited. www.pscfg.com/downloads.htm (free, with free end-user support, and must-read instructions) Users will note that when you look for a second processor, if there is one listed, it matches the one on the system being configured. No other (i.e. non-matching) processor options are listed. I don't think there is one listed for every case, however. It also handles the bit about memory options allowed only to the half-full point, and then you must add the second processor. BTW, the ThinkStation team seems to have gotten out pf the business of offering a second processor option, so I manually looked up and added the hopefully-correct Intel partnumbers. Since the Configurator comes with dealer prices for the USA and Canada, you can get a good idea of what such a second processor would cost when using an Intel partnumber.