Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockman9x
Paper Tape
Views: 320
Message 1 of 4

Online Expand RAID 5 Array with MegaRAID Storage Manager

Hi,

I have RAID 5 Array with 8 drives 300GB. I have 925GB free capability. Can I hot Expand this Array while OS running without loss data on Array? OR I must destroy the Array and rebuild then extend the array?

My OS is ESXi 5.5, I have System x3650-M5 with ServeRAID M5110e
image.pngThank.

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Dannyhsueh
Lenovo Employee
Views: 279
Message 2 of 4

Re: Online Expand RAID 5 Array with MegaRAID Storage Manager

Hi Rockman

Could you please refer the MegaRAID Storage Manager User Guide section 5.7.1.12 Expanding a Virtual Drive to expand a virtual drive and increase its capacity without impact existing data on the virtual drive by the expansion. 

Schlabberer
Serial Port
Views: 228
Message 3 of 4

It's no problem to expand online while OS is running. It's also a very quick process. Also adding physical disks while running to a VD is working well. As long as they support HotSwap and have the same bus like SAS or SATA. You cannot mix SAS with SATA drives in the same VD / RAID Volume.

Afterwards simply rescan storage in ESXi and provide the free space to the datastore.

Rockman9x
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 4 of 4

Yeah, I was already extended my VD without any problem while system is online. And increase datastore in ESXi as well. All data still intact.
At first I thought it very complex process, but now with MegaRAID Storage Manager it very simple.
Thanks everyone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals