Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanley86
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 1 of 4

RD640 Webbios freezes when conecting new SAS

Unfortunately I am facing the following issue:

=> Webbios of my RD640 freezes completely when I connect a new SAS in the last Slot (tried 2 different new drives)

First I tried to conect the drive with the server of and open the Webbios via CTRL+H, clicking at "start" the system freezes completely. Only the power button will resolve it even after 30minutes waiting nothing happened.

Second approach was to access the webbios with the server running and connect the new drive in hot swap. The system freezes completely again

Third approach was to follow this description of the forum:

https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/ht073997 again the system freezes completely.

How can I trouble shoot this issue?

Lenovo Employee arossett
Lenovo Employee
Views: 132
Message 2 of 4

Re: RD640 Webbios freezes when conecting new SAS

Hello Stanley86, couple of questions for you. 

Could you let us know what type of drive you are attempting to connect? 

As you stated that this is the last avaiable SAS slot, so I assume that this machine is fully populated with drives? 

Are you seeing any other drive related issues? 

Is it possible for you to run any diagnostic programs to test the hard disk drive?

I would also suggest to ensure that the hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane is correctly seated. .

Second I would ensure that the SAS cable connection is correct. I've attached the User Guide at the end of this post please  see

“Mini-SAS to mini-SAS signal cable connections” on
page 43.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkservers/rd640ug_hmm_en.pdf

Highlighted
Stanley86
Paper Tape
Views: 111
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much for the response! I will check the installation this week again though I am out of the office for a few days. The system runs 100% normal without the drive position.

about the server:
Yes, the machine is fully populated with drives!
Never had problems until now though I never used the last slot. The first time we had to increase space we did it just the same way with no problems.

One possible issue I was thinking is that the other discs are all in pairs (raid 1), then a hot spare as nr. 7 and this somehow is causing the raid controller to freeze...

The new drive is an "HGST Ultrastar C10K900 900 GB SAS 2,5" (I have two discs just the same type operating in the machine for more than a year).

I will see the possibility of checking the drives by someone.

thank you again for your attention!!!
Lenovo Employee arossett
Lenovo Employee
Views: 104
Message 4 of 4

One possible issue I was thinking is that the other discs are all in pairs (raid 1), then a hot spare as nr. 7 and this somehow is causing the raid controller to freeze...

I don't think that this would be an issue, as this would be a pretty standard config.  I didn't see any messages about not using this in the user guide. 

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkservers/rd640ug_hmm_en.pdf

I also looked through our tech tips and did not see that this would be an invalid config. 

The new drive is an "HGST Ultrastar C10K900 900 GB SAS 2,5" (I have two discs just the same type operating in the machine for more than a year

I looked but I don't see these on the compatability list for the server. Are these Lenovo branded drives? 

From my experience this sounds like it may be an issue with the the hardware. I suspect possibly the back plane / cabling or drive.  To eliminate this path (backplane/cabling) one thing you could do to test the drive would be to put it in another machine (if you have one) to see if it spins up and then run diags against the drive. 

If the drive spins up and is good we know it is working and we could proceed with troubleshooting the hardware of the server. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals