cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SparkyBoy006
Punch Card
Message 31 of 77

Re: TS140 (70A4) BIOS Update Not Taking

So two hours after I spoke to the last tech, a UPS Sonic Air delivery man dropped off a replacement motherboard at 2:40AM during a snow storm.  I was shocked, but very appreciative.  I replaced the motherboard myself, but I have to program some OEM info into the BIOS.  When I turned it on, the System Brand ID and System Serial Number were INVALID in the BIOS and it was throwing up errors. 

I managed to update those using the AMIDEWIN.exe tool that comes with the BIOS download.  It can be found in the C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\BIOSWIN64 folder.  Run AMIDEWIN.EXE /ALL in an admistrator cmd window to show all the info.  I'm missing some information there and need to manually input, but I don't know what else I need.  Can someone please run that command and edit out any serials etc that they need to and upload it for me to see please. 

lenovoDD
SCSI Port
Message 32 of 77

Make sure that

1) "Machine Type and Model"  is  70A400xxxx  (from the black label on the front, ignore 7 symbols limit warning)

2) "System Band ID"  should be  "ThinkServer TS140"

SparkyBoy006
Punch Card
Message 33 of 77

Thank you for that information.  Last thing, I need to update the BIOS on this new board.  Is it safe to use the file on Lenovo's site as long as I flash using the Flash.bat?

lenovoDD
SCSI Port
Message 34 of 77

I've updated new motherboard to CLA bios  using flash.bat,   changed INVALID values with  vpd.bat. 

Just in case:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkservers/bios_me_ts140-240-440-540_fbktcla_biosdos.txt

SparkyBoy006
Punch Card
Message 35 of 77

After getting everything installed and setup, I plugged in the Ethernet cable and it said my cable wasn't plugged in.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and tried to do some of the Intel driver diagnositcs and got some wacky results with connection speed popping up 10.0Mbs every now and then. 

I looked at the ethernet jack and there was one pin bent halfway down, I tried pushing it up with a sewing needle (I don't really want to install another motherboard right now), it went up just a bit but isn't all the way up.  Tried connecting again and now it works... I'm just curious if your screen says unavailable for all the boot images when you check the "Flash Information" in the Intel driver properties under Boot Options.  

EDIT: Unfortunately the ethernet jack keeps going down... it's definitely related to the pin that's half way down, but I can't get it to go up more.  Called Lenovo back and now I'm going in circles trying to get an exchange for the defective board they sent... they keep telling me I don't have a warranty and won't let me talk to anyone that is tech savvy unless I pay. 

IntelLAN.JPG

Thanks for all the help!

SparkyBoy006
Punch Card
Message 36 of 77

This is a picture of the pin causing the Ethernet issues... Using an add-on ethernet card would take away the built-in AMT functionality.  I'm stuck here trying to get Lenovo to help me without telling me for the hundredth time I'm out of warranty.  Their BIOS update killed my motherboard and then they sent me a defective one to replace it.  I'd really appreciate any advice on how to get Level II tier support or anyone else that's willing to help involved.  Everyime I ask, they want me to pay first which doesn't make sense to me.

EthernetJack.jpg

lenovoDD
SCSI Port
Message 37 of 77

Well, I've tried to warn you:  don't expect much :-(     

Level II support is no picnic either -  even with assigned Level II  support engineer, I am waiting for some response/resolution  about my second server with CKA bios  since December 4-th.

Highlighted
Apesbrain
Fanfold Paper
Message 38 of 77

Guys, I feel your pain.

20180105_084815 (Medium).jpg

lenovoDD
SCSI Port
Message 39 of 77

Oh,  new bios  CQA is on the Lenovo website.    I wonder  if they added any checks for those who ended up with CKA version.

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Forum Rules

SparkyBoy006
Punch Card
Message 40 of 77

Let me try to simplify my question so it doesn't get moderated.  Why are the CQA BIOS release notes removing any mention of the motherboard bricking CKA BIOS update that was mentioned in the CLA notes?  Those release notes are historically important in getting resolution to our bricked motherboards (AKA a replacment for out of warranty cases).  

Top Kudoed Authors