Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter SystemsThinkServer
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-15-2014

Las Vegas

6 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 1 of 7

TS140 Add-On NIC Issues

2014-12-15, 4:21 AM

Hello All:

First post, but long time lurker. Just picked up a Xeon Lenovo TS140 over BF from Newegg along with 32GB of ECC DDR3 (unregistered of course), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, and Intel I350-T4 NIC. I have VMware ESXi 5.1U2 up and running using the custom/slipstream installation method and injecting the onboard NIC driver VIB. I also have BIOS 99A successfully flashed as well. Intel ME/AMT is also enabled and configured and working great. I have already scoured the Internet/Google/Lenovo Forum to no avail....

Onto the problem...

As long as I do not have the I350 plugged into the motherboard, the system POSTs fine, and I can use it no probelm with all of the memory, SSD, etc. When I have the NIC in the system, the screen remains black, the system does not even get to POST, and I am immediately greeted with 3x short and 1x long beeps code. According to the Lenovo beep code lookup, this points to bad memory, but as I have stated, I have no issues with the system at all when the NIC is not in the system; memory is fine. Oddly enough, this is one of the compatible and recommended models by Lenovo for this particular system, and I do not know what else to do.

Here is what I have tried:

1.) To rule out a faulty NIC, I placed it in my Windows 8.1 desktop system...Windows immediately recognized it and installed the proper drivers. The NIC works fine so it is not defective and the issue lies elsewhere.

2.) I tried both PCIe x4 and x16 slots in the TS140, same issue.

3.) Disabled the onboard NIC and onboard NIC PXE option, no avail.

4.) Disabled serial port thinking it may be an IRQ conflict (to free up the default IRQ reservation)...no dice.

5.) Flashed BIOS successfully to 99A, but problem persists.

6.) Enforced integrated VGA only (IGD), thinking that maybe the system was trying to boot using the NIC as a video device. Problem still present.

The only thing left to try that I can think of is to flash the Intel I350-T4 NIC to change features using my Windows 8.1 system, then trying it in the TS140 again...am I on the right path> Anyone else experiencing this or knows of a workaround? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options

471 Posts

07-16-2013

Slovenia

310 Signins

5496 Page Views

• Views: 5496
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: TS140 Add-On NIC Issues

2014-12-28, 23:54 PM

IIRC issue could be in memory allocation. Try it with 2 sticks of memory and see if it works.

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Options

2 Posts

01-20-2015

California

5 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 3 of 7

2015-01-20, 4:02 AM

This worked, thanks. I had the same problem—if I stuck the I350-T2 in there the server wouldn’t even boot and all I got was an ominous beeping alarm. As soon as I took it out, it worked fine. But since I paid close to $150 for a NIC with native esxi drivers, I was on the verge of violence. I’m the assistant manager of a Subway—it took over four months of scrimping and saving to pay for my home lab. I had 24 GB installed, 2 X 4 and 2 X 8. I took the 4 GB cards out and it worked just fine. Half an hour later I had esxi installed. Thank God I cheaped out and didn’t go the full 32. Now I’m just praying that it won’t crawl slower than evolution with only 16 GBs.

Options

471 Posts

07-16-2013

Slovenia

310 Signins

5496 Page Views

• Views: 5496
  • Message 4 of 7

2015-01-20, 11:49 AM

Good to hear that you had partial success. However I suggest that you open support ticket with Lenovo since I350-T2 and T4 are supported NICs. It should be working with full 32GB as well ...

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Options

2 Posts

01-28-2015

Puyallup, WA

6 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 5 of 7

2015-01-28, 16:29 PM
the easy way to fix this as I had the same issue with the I350-T4:

http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

just need some electrical tape and a good sharp razor blade. Took me all of 5 minutes and i've been up and running with 32gb of ram since.
Options

2 Posts

01-20-2015

California

5 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 6 of 7

2015-10-05, 2:27 AM

wrote:
the easy way to fix this as I had the same issue with the I350-T4:

http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html

just need some electrical tape and a good sharp razor blade. Took me all of 5 minutes and i've been up and running with 32gb of ram since.

Dude, That WORKED! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that you’ll ever see this response unless you get an e-mail alert, since it’s been so long since I brought the issue up. The reason it took so long to try it was because I got so discouraged with the whole thing that I temporarily gave up on learning vSphere and went back to studying math, Windows administration, and SQL. But yesterday I got a burst of resolution and went looking for a solution. That’s when I saw your post. Yep, in five minutes I had it fixed and the card works fine and the server sees all 24 gigs of RAM. When I get some cash I’ll go 32, as now I’m not afraid to anymore. If you’re ever in Simi Valley, let me know. Lunch is on me. I still work at Subway.

Options

1 Posts

03-09-2016

Tennessee

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 7 of 7

2016-03-09, 1:16 AM

Thank you so much!!! I was about to throw this thing out a window!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms