18 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 5

TS140 Does not see my SD-SA2PEX-2E eSata Card

2018-09-11, 21:10 PM

HOME NAS SYSTEM

TS140 ThinkServer, with 32GB Memory

I originally set this up as external USB drives a year or so ago.   But my external drives started to fail, and desided to do a more robust/redundent setup.    Moved to exterior USB/Sata 4-bay enclosures, and moved to Windows Storage Spaces with 16 drives in 4 enclosures running off of a 4-port Ableconn eSata card.     Seemed to be working fine -- but has some slowdowns and brief freezes it appeared....  but I continued using it... as storage spaces reported everything was fine.     About 3 weeks ago storage spaces crashed my array and array and I lost close to 48tb of media files.   OH THE PAIN OF IT!

Friend introduced me to FreeBSD running on FreeBSD.    I installed it on the server -- trashing win10 and started over.   FreeNas installed esaily and simply...   But immeidately started showing me communication errors on my drives systems.  I believe these issues existed from the beginning on windows storage spaces but due to their lack of visual monitoring of the array -- it went unseen.     While WSS may have tolerated the issues, FreeNas kept insisting there was larger issues and pretty quickly I had an unhealthy array.

Troubleshooting with MediaSonic, and Ableconn...   WIth no success.  Although MediaSonic recommended the

SD-SA2PEX-2E eSata card (2-port).   WHich was a heck of a lot cheaper than my 4-port Ableconn card.   I purchased a couple of these.  Installed one card in the FreeNas.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

There is suppose to be a bios POST screen where I can get into the card bios to configure the raid or turn off raid, etc...  That never shows up -- elluding to the Bios not seeing the card.    Once freeNas is loaded it doesn't see any of the drives in the enclosure.   The link light indicating the enclosure is connected never goes on.  This historically with the 4-port ableconn card came on a micro-second after the power is turned on.   Again, elluding to the card not being seen by the bios on start.

Mediasonic insists I need to install a unix driver.   My research shows that this shouldn't need a driver under unix...  unless specific versions.   I'm not even sure how to go about loading the driver.  HOWEVER, let's put that aside for a moment.

I tried this in a second TS140 computer running windows 10...  installed the card, and booted up -- again, no POST display where I can enter the bios... and once windows is booted up, I should be able to go into device manager and load the driver to the hardware if it doesn't auto detect it on boot-up.     It neither auto-detects the card, or has it listed in the device manager.   As this is another TS140 -- this also elluding to the bios not seeing the pcie Card.  

Can anyone assist me in figuring out why this PCIe card is not being seen on either of my TS140 Thinkserver computers?   I'm thinking I have to turn something on or off in bios to support it possibly -- but no idea what seeting or what needs to be done.

Don Oldenburg

Palm Springs, CA

Options

4 Posts

09-11-2018

US

18 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: TS140 Does not see my SD-SA2PEX-2E eSata Card

2018-09-12, 12:47 PM
Anybody?
Options

526 Posts

08-14-2018

US

533 Signins

9874 Page Views

• Views: 9874
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-09-17, 15:59 PM

Don, I looked around but I don't see any information that this card has ever been tested by Lenovo in this server. 

Here is a link to the general product guide for the server. 

https://lenovopress.com/lp0034-lenovo-thinkserver-ts140

My apologies, but as I do not have one of these adapters in the lab to try and recreate this, or have any other information I will not be able to give you any useful information. 

Options

4 Posts

09-11-2018

US

18 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2018-09-17, 16:02 PM
Do you have a recommendation for an eSata PciE card with 2 or 4 ports that HAS been tested with the TS140?
Options

526 Posts

08-14-2018

US

533 Signins

9874 Page Views

• Views: 9874
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-09-17, 17:54 PM

You can find all of the supported devices for this server on Lenovo Press:

https://lenovopress.com/lp0034-lenovo-thinkserver-ts140

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete