Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 22 (5,380 Views)

TS140 will not boot with External HDD attached

[ Edited ]

I have just deployed a new server and am having boot issues.  the server is a TS140 and if i have an external hdd plugged in (for backup) the system will hang at the Lenovo splash screen.  if i unplug the drive and reboot it starts normally.

- the bios is current

- have excluded all usb drives in each of the 3 boot configurations

- have put the raid volume as the #1 boot option in each of the 3 boot configurations

- tried the drive plugged into each of the usb ports on the server (both usb 2.0 and 3.0)

- tried different boot options relating to Legacy and UEFI....sure ive tried every combination

i have tried 2 different usb drives each with the same result:

- 3TB WD MyBook 

- 3TB Seagate GoFlex

with the WD plugged in, the server would fail doing server backups.  with the Seagate plugged in, server backups have been successful.

what worry's me is when there is a restart or power down.  if the server shuts down or restarts at any point it will hang on boot unless the drive is detached which is a major inconvenience to my client.

i have seen this problem existent with other Lenovo systems (Laptops, Desktops, Servers).

suggestions??

Edit:

forgot to add, the Server is running Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 2 of 22 (5,319 Views)

Re: TS140 will not boot with External HDD attached

I also am having the same issue.  My boot gets stuck at the second 'ThinkServer' splash screen and I have to power off the unit and back on to try again.  Once I unplug the USB drive, it boots fine.

I've got a slightly different config, ESXi 5.5 with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a VM.  I'm concerned as well about a system reboot or more likely, a UPS power graceful shutdown/re-power.

Serial Port
Message 3 of 22 (5,241 Views)

[ Edited ]

Welcome to Lenovo's buggy UEFI/BIOS:
See here:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/A-M-and-Edge-Series-ThinkCentre/ThinkCentre-M93p-not-booting-with-WD-MyB...

EDIT: Regarding the problem with WD backup failure: Do you get periodic drive disconnects?

Lenovo Staff
Message 4 of 22 (5,226 Views)

Please try the following workaround and see if it helps with your issue. Please note: This workaround may not work for all devices.

You will need to change the BIOS setting to disable the Legacy USB support by following the steps below:

1. Enter the BIOS by pressing F1 during the system boot.
2. Select the “Devices” tag.
3. Highlight the “USB Setup” and press Enter.
4. Highlight “USB Legacy Support” and press Enter.
5. Select “Disable” and press Enter.
6. Select F10 to save changes.
There may be slight differences from platform to platform.

Disabling the Legacy USB support in the BIOS does not affect functionality or usability of the USB device from the operating system but only affects the boot options. The user will need to reverse this change if there is a need to boot from a Legacy USB device.

Not all USB storage devices will produce this issue. This could affect USB 2.0 or 3.0 devices connected to 2.0 or 3.0 ports. The cause of the issue is under investigation.
Serial Port
Message 5 of 22 (5,221 Views)

[ Edited ]

I_am_Nivek wrote:
Disabling the Legacy USB support in the BIOS does not affect functionality or usability of the USB device from the operating system but only affects the boot options. The user will need to reverse this change if there is a need to boot from a Legacy USB device.

Not all USB storage devices will produce this issue. This could affect USB 2.0 or 3.0 devices connected to 2.0 or 3.0 ports. The cause of the issue is under investigation.

I am pretty sure the proposed workaround does not work. I tried anything possible on my ThinkCentre but nothing helped. It is good to hear that Lenovo is investigating the problems but unfortunately we need 10 new PCs and a server right now, so we have to go with Dell and Fujitsu. I really like the Lenovo hardware and the whisper-quiet operation but we just cannot accept all the UEFI / USB issues in a business environment. Lenovo should probably buy two of the most widely used external HDDs from WD and Seagate and just let some students test if the PCs boot before selling thousands of computers... I am very annoyed as I have spent so much time trying to fix the issues without success. Nobody is working for free.

Anguel

Retired SuperMod
Message 6 of 22 (5,212 Views)

@ Anguel,

as Nivek stated "This workaround may not work for all devices".  ThinkCentre and ThinkServer are very different products which is why we have them separated in different boards.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Serial Port
Message 7 of 22 (5,201 Views)

andyP,

Can you point me to a Lenovo product that definitely can boot up with the USB hard disk drives mentioned in this thread? I suspect that all Lenovo UEFI computers share the same code as they show the same type of problems.

Anguel
Lenovo Staff
Message 8 of 22 (5,196 Views)

Anguel,

I have personally booted a TS140 with an external drive attached. I simply attached a Blac X 5g USB 3.0 docking station with a Seagate hard drive and the machine booted with no problem. I then tried a Western Digital drive in the docking station, that also worked. I am using the default BIOS settings as well so nothing special about it.
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 22 (4,876 Views)

We have two TS140's in the field with latest BIOS and drivers and both will not boot with an external hd attached. Drives are 1TB IBM drive and a second 3TB buffalo. Drives where plugged into 3.0 USB on back or 2.0 USB on back. Disabled legacy usb settings in bios both results in same hung boot until drive was unplugged.

Lenovo Staff
Message 10 of 22 (4,870 Views)

A new BIOS is being released at the end of this month which should resolve this problem. I do not have the exact date on hand, but it will be part of the regularly scheduled quarterly updates.
Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count