Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgarman84
Paper Tape
Views: 176
Message 21 of 25

Re: TS150 Newbie Questions

Hi all.

I see that no one has posted fopr a while but need some help.

I'm looking to expand my TS150 but the spec sheet is confusing to what others have said so i'm asking owners what i can and can't do.

So, can i

A) Fit a SATA HDD that is over 2 TB? Has anyone done this with no issues?

B) Fit a SSD thats over 960GB? Has anyone done this with any issues?

C) Fit a M.2 SSD? I only ask as it doesn't mention it on the Lenovo Press sheet but I noticed that someone has done it into one of the PCIe slots. Is that correct?

D) Had any issues with new RAM as i've had IBM out as a Crucial stick i bought killed it. 

Sorry if these sound really stupid questions, but i'm sick and tired of people regurgitating the spec sheet. I just wanna know from the users that have a TS150 what can be done and can't. 

I currently have 2 x 2TB HDDs, 1x500gb 2.5 HDD and a 3TB external HDD. 

I want to get rid of the internal HDDs and replace them with a couple of 4TBs and an SSD, but no sure which direction to take.

Thanks massiverly inadvance.

Michael 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 172
Message 22 of 25

Hey Mike can you please open up another thread on this so the whole team will see this? When replying to an older thread such as this not everyone will see your question. 

Highlighted
mgarman84
Paper Tape
Views: 150
Message 23 of 25

@Lockhouse wrote:

20170529_183859.jpg

So here it is, my kitted out TS150 - 4x3TB WD Red drives for RAID, an M2 SSD and a backup 2.5 SSD. I've temporarily fitted a graphics card so I can config and setup more easily but will probably remove it later.

The Lenovo official enclosures were expensive but decent quality - each with a mini fan on the back and I'm glad I took the trouble to source them. The M2 SSD is on a PCIE adapter card. Not done any tuning or performance checks yet but it all appears to be working. Thanks to all who replied.

Hi Andrew,

How the machine running?

How have you managed to instal and M.2 SSD when its not supported?

Also, have you managed to instal any HDDs that are over the 3TB with no issues?

Lockhouse
Fanfold Paper
Views: 144
Message 24 of 25

So, two and a half years later.

The M.2 SSD turned out to be a no-no. I lost the first one after six months and the second one six months later. I've been running on a standard SSD since then with absolutely no problems. I hardly ever connect directly to the server, just once a month or so to make sure it's applied patches etc correctly.

I've not used more than the 4x3tb disks and have had absolutely no issues to the extent that I never think about the server, it just works and that's how it should be.

So very reliable, no issues.

Do not use M.2 SSD.

mgarman84
Paper Tape
Views: 129
Message 25 of 25

@Lockhouse wrote:

So, two and a half years later.

The M.2 SSD turned out to be a no-no. I lost the first one after six months and the second one six months later. I've been running on a standard SSD since then with absolutely no problems. I hardly ever connect directly to the server, just once a month or so to make sure it's applied patches etc correctly.

I've not used more than the 4x3tb disks and have had absolutely no issues to the extent that I never think about the server, it just works and that's how it should be.

So very reliable, no issues.

Do not use M.2 SSD.

Well I'm glad you've said that as the adapter is in my Amazon basket and I've been looking for a suitable ssd. 

So do you think a couple of 4tb satas will be OK? 

I just can't afford the ssd prices at the moment. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors