01-01-2012

United States of America

105 Signins

689 Page Views

• Views: 689
  • Message 1 of 6

TS440 used to recognize SSD HD Win 7 64 and now will not in F12

2018-03-18, 17:37 PM

I have used this TS440 E-1245 v3 for nearly three years as a workstation (Crucial MX200 500GB SSD installed June 2015).  I closed it down last week, forgetting to remove a data USB flash drive attached to a USB port.  When started the next day it naturally looked for boot instructions on the USB drive (my bad) and finding none it would not boot.  I discivered my error, removed the USB drive, but even then it would not boot into Win 7.

The bootup sequence sees the 9240 RAID adapter and the MX200 SSD, but it will not boot.  F12 lists only the DVD drive, not the SSD.  I have tried various adjustments in the BIOS utility (Legacy, UEFI, etc.) but to no avail.  Right now the BIOS is reset to optimum.

I then tried to (re)install Win 7 (via a DVD) onto a new Mushkin 240GB SSD, but the install process cannot see the SSD to proceed with the installation.  It wants a driver.  What driver?  Then I thought of this forum, so now I shall wait to see what the talent on this site can provide.

I would rather simply figure a way to fix the boot routine for the older Crucial SSD.  But any help would be appreciated.  

Options

204 Posts

05-11-2017

China

525 Signins

3288 Page Views

• Views: 3288
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: TS440 used to recognize SSD HD Win 7 64 and now will not in F12

2018-03-20, 1:58 AM

Hi,

I then tried to (re)install Win 7 (via a DVD) onto a new Mushkin 240GB SSD, but the install process cannot see the SSD to proceed with the installation.  It wants a driver-------Did you attach the new Mushkin 240GB SSD to the 9240-8i RAID card? and what kinds of RAID mode did you do with the SSD?  RAID0 /RAID1 or other?     

If you just attached the SSD to the RAID adapter and no raid is done ,you can not see the HDD during installing OS, thanks!

Options

35 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

105 Signins

689 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2018-03-20, 15:51 PM

The primary drive in this TS440 is a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD.  The second, third and fourth are conventional platter drives (the second is a 500GB, the third and fourth are Hitachi 2GB).  I have these four installed in the lower bay just now (I do have four WD 3TB Red drives for the four upper slots, but for now they are removed and set aside).  When this machine first boots up (a long-ish process for a workstation, but I'm okay enough with that) the 9240 RAID controller is listed first, and below that these four installed drives are listed, each as JBOD.  So the machine sees them.  I've never used a RAID configuration on this machine, just BSOD.

When I press F12, the DVD drive is listed, as is the LSI RAID controller, and info identifying a network connection (which of course I do not have).  I am now assuming that the individual installed drives ought to be nested under the LSI controller, so I try to boot from that.  Nothing.  No OS is found. And the machine eventually reboots into a loop and tries again. 

I think there's something simple that I'm missing just now.  I set this all up about three years ago, and I forgot what I did then to make it all work.  The problem happened when I mistakenly left a USB data thumb drive connected (duh) and it would not boot into drive C:.  So I removed the thumb drive, rebooted, and now the drive containing the OS is not seen (well, the boot drive is listed in the initial boot up screen sequence, but not when I press F12).

Help me to understand what I'm missing, what I can yet try.  Just now the BIOS is restored to defaults.  Is there something I need to do in the BIOS that can help resolve this problem? 

Options

204 Posts

05-11-2017

China

525 Signins

3288 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2018-03-21, 3:31 AM

Hi,

Here is an example of boot order in BIOS setup and after press F12 on my TD350 server with Linux OS.

Can you see your win7 OS listed in the 'boot sequence ' of your BIOS setup screen ? May be there are several options about boot sequence, and please check if the OS in them.    If not , I guess  maybe your OS or boot loader is lost or broken.

Options

35 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

105 Signins

689 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2018-03-22, 15:20 PM

When I press F12 only the DVD and the LSI MegaRAID card and a network connection appear.  Win 7 does not appear.

When I access the BIOS there are options to adjust the boot order but there is nothing analogous to your second screen that identifies specific pieces of hardware and where they are connected.  There's only a list of boot order options and a way to change their order.  But specific hardware is no where to be found.

In my most recent attempt to find something like what Grace0330 has suggested (and I sincerely appreciate you weighing in on this), I saved everything with F10, exided, and . . . nothing.  I have tried to boot this machine back into the BIOS utility and . . . nothing.  So I removed all of the hard drives, unseated and reseated the MB battery, cleared the CMOS using the MB jumper, and . . . nothing.

Is there something else I can try?  Is it likely this MB is bricked?  I've worked with computers (hardware) for thirty years (installing/upgrading this, swapping out that) , and this is my first experience with a bricked MB (If that's what I have).  Are TS 440s noted for doing this?

Thanks for weighing in.

Options

204 Posts

05-11-2017

China

525 Signins

3288 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2018-03-23, 1:17 AM

Hi,

When I access the BIOS there are options to adjust the boot order but there is nothing analogous to your second screen that identifies specific pieces of hardware and where they are connected.  There's only a list of boot order options and a way to change their order.  But specific hardware is no where to be found.--------Because My TD350 have these specific hardware installed on my server.

According to your description, I think your MB is normal and just without OS .

If you cann't see your OS listed in the boot sequence of BIOS maybe Something is wrong with your current OS.  

You said you cann't see the new installed SSD when you tried to reinstall the Window7 OS in your first post. ----Did you attach the new SSD to the 9240-8i raid card and made it as JBOD mode?  if you have made it in JBOD mode I think you should see the SSD during installing OS. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms