Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EgorLopatin
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 1 of 6

ThinkServer Lenovo RD640 - BMC loses connection

Hello,

We have detected the issue with BMC (IPMI) on our Lenovo RD640 servers.

The main issue is: when we try to reboot the server via IPMI or external IP-KVM module (Lantronix), BMC module loses network connection (port link become down for a moment), and Management Interface becomes unavailable, as well as ping to the BMC IP address, and we can not reach the server's management interface. The reboot can be performed via BIOS / BMC management interface in the Web or via Ctrl+Alt+Del in the console.

We tried to update BIOS and BMC Firmware to the latest version, but the issue is still persists. We also tried BIOS/BMC settings reset and BMC cold reset, but it did not help us.

It should be noted, that there is no difference, if the BMC works in 'Shared with Lan port' mode or 'Dedicated' mode. The result it the same. The standby voltage more then 5V, so seems like the power supply is okay.

Actualy, we have several RD640 servers, but the issue appears just on two servers.

May be somebody know if it is a power of configuration issue, and what we can do with that?

Lenovo Employee JVOSS2
Lenovo Employee
Views: 142
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkServer Lenovo RD640 - BMC loses connection

EgorLopatin,

Welcome to the community!

How are you confirming the port goes down? Can you check the switch port and see what it is reporting? Does it stay down and recover after a reboot or does it go down and come back up?

EgorLopatin
Paper Tape
Views: 127
Message 3 of 6

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, I see that the port goes in physically down state and in a second becomes up again in a switch's log. And it is important, that it happens just in case we try to reboot the server, in any other time it works well and stable.

I don't believe that the reason in IPMI configuration, but I'm not sure.

Thank you.
Lenovo Employee JVOSS2
Lenovo Employee
Views: 96
Message 4 of 6

Does a certain action trigger the disconnect? how often does the port bounce? Can you try replacing the network cable and/or try a different port on the switch? To see if the issue follows.

Lenovo Employee JackyJiang
Lenovo Employee
Views: 25
Message 5 of 6

Suggest to check if BMC has restart when the link down/up happen. And suggest to check if there have network broadcast storm occurs. I have a experience that the network storm may cause BMC restart, and the management port will have a down/up action during BMC restart. Hope this can help you, thanks.

Highlighted
cterek
802.11n
Views: 20
Message 6 of 6

I have a RD640 and the same thing happens on the BMC, the connection will drop but only when rebooting the server.  Not sure what the reason is for this, but it's exactly as the OP is seeing. Would like to know what I can check on the RD640 (settings wise) that is causing this, as it's clearly a problem on the unit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors