Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muchandr
Paper Tape
Views: 768
Message 1 of 7

Xeon upgrage for i3 TS140?

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my TS140 featuring an i3 with a Xeon E3 family CPU? Of specific interest is E3-1286L v3 featured among the supported CPU list here

https://lenovopress.com/lp0034-lenovo-thinkserver-ts140

The reason I am cautious is that my original i3-4130 featuring machine has an ISM management engine, and Xeon versions came with AMT. So, there is obviously a difference in firmware between the two varieties of TS140...

Thanks!

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 738
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xeon upgrage for i3 TS140?

Hi muchandr,

Please read the KB as follows before you purchase the new CPU.

ThinkServer TS140 or TS440 will not be operational after a CPU or motherboard replacement

muchandr
Paper Tape
Views: 715
Message 3 of 7

Thank you. I knew I am living dangerously Smiley Happy I forgot to mention that I upgraded all the firmwares to the latest release. My current ME FW version is 9.1.45.3000, which appears to be new enough according to the article you reference.

Other than this requirment for newer firmware, is it OK for me to switch to the Xeon branch than? Most posts here talking about CPU upgrades to TS140 seem to be from people who already had a Xeon version. I am also running with 16 GB ECC RAM, if it makes any difference.

Thanks again!

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 698
Message 4 of 7

Hi muchandr,

Please check the FRU # on your motherboard, if it matches one of the above listed in the document, it will not work...you will need to update the motherboard to the newer version that does support the Haswell refresh processor.

For TS140:

00FC657 and 00FC659 motherboard can support both Haswell Refresh CPU and Haswell CPU.

03T8873 and 03T8612 motherboard can only support Haswell CPU.

muchandr
Paper Tape
Views: 671
Message 5 of 7

Sorry, now you need to to explain it to me like I was 5 year old.

Attempting to use wmic and various GUI tools like CPU-Z produced "not defined" for the motherboard version.

Various stickers I found inside the machine as well as on the shipping carton I still have revealed something called a MAC, an MTM and a bunch of serial numbers and EAN stocking codes. No FRU for the motherboard that looks like the ones mentioned.

There is a section of motherboard which has FRU NUMBER etched into it, but no actual number that looks suitable. Also not the sticker right to the left of it. See attached.

KIMG0017.jpgFRU NUMBER what?

Is it normal? The machine was not purchased through Lenovo channel sales, but a large German retail chain called Cyberport. It looks like this patch was reserved for the sticker with actual version or something...

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 651
Message 6 of 7

Hi muchandr,

You can identify the CRU/FRU Part Number from the link: CRU / FRU Part Numbers Lookup.

Enter your serial number in the search field, and the parts will be listed.

muchandr
Paper Tape
Views: 642
Message 7 of 7

Awesome! It says

Plannar Intel C226-C2 PCB V1.0SYSTEM BOARDS
00FC657

So glad I asked! The legendary IBM bureacracy is obviously very much alive and kicking. Keep up the good work! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors