Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luis430
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 1 of 7

installing windows server 2012 r2 on thinkserver ts430 do not detect raid 1

Hello,

I am installing a TS430 server with 2 SATA disks of 1 TB each, I configured the SATA disks in the bios in RAID mode. By means of easystartup I configured the disks as RAID 1. The easystartup disk does not allow to install the operating system, it gives the indication to install it directly with the disk of Windows Server 2012 R2.

During the installation process of Windows Server 2012 R2, after requesting the language, it presents the following message:
"Windows installation program Select the driver you want to install Load driver: There is a missing media driver that your PC needs, it can be a DVD, USB or hard drive driver If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive , that the controller can contain, insert it now ".

It seems that windows does not recognize the array so it requests a driver to enable the fix.

I downloaded from the Lenovo site the LSI Onboard driver SAS RAID driver for Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2011, 2012 - ThinkServer TS430, I put it in a decompressed USB memory, but the windows installer does not recognize it.

I found this same problem with Dell, HP and Lenovo TS140, in all cases the problem is that the windows installer requests a driver for the disk array.

I appreciate any help.

------------------------

Hola a tod@s.

Estoy instalando un servidor TS430 con 2 discos SATA de 1 TB cada uno, configuré en el bios en modo RAID los discos SATA. Por medio de easystartup configuré los discos como RAID 1. El disco easystartup no permite instalar el sistema operativo, da la indicación de instalarlo directamente con el disco de Windows Server 2012 R2.

Durante el proceso de instalación de Windows Server 2012 R2, después de solicitar el idioma, presenta el siguiente mensaje:

"Programa de instalación de windows. Selecciona el controlador que quieres instalar. Cargar controlador: Falta un controlador de medios que tu PC necesita. Puede ser un controlador de DVD, USB o disco duro. Si tienes un CD, DVD o una unidad flash USB, que pueda contener el controlador, insértalo ahora".

Tal parece que windows no reconoce el arreglo por lo que solicita un controlador para habilitar el arreglo.

Descargué del sitio de Lenovo el controlador LSI Onboard SAS RAID driver for Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2011, 2012 - ThinkServer TS430, lo puse en una memoria USB descomprimido, pero el instalador de windows no lo reconoce.

Este mismo problema lo encontré con Dell, HP y Lenovo TS140, en todos los casos el problema es que el instalador de windows solicita un controlador para el arreglo de discos.

Agradezco de antemano cualquier ayuda.

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 116
Message 2 of 7

Re: installing windows server 2012 r2 on thinkserver ts430 do not detect raid 1

Hi Luis430,

Please follow the steps below:

1. Download the onboard RAID driver from the link: dd_lsi_swr_16.01.2014.0528_win.exe

2. Run dd_lsi_swr_16.01.2014.0528_win.exe file to extract the file.

3. Go to the folder where the driver packages were extracted, you will see <supported OS drivers>.zip files.

1.PNG

4. Unzip the <OSname>.zip file which you would like to load to, and copy the extracted folder to a USB flash drive. 

2.PNG

5. On the windows installation window which is asking for load driver,  click Browse, and select the extracted drivers from the USB flash drive, select the driver to be installed, and click next.

6. After the driver is loaded, follow the rest of the standard Windows installation steps. 

Highlighted
Luis430
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 3 of 7

Hi ccchen,

When the windows installer requests the driver, I choose for windows 2012 r2. I tried both options: LSI Embedded MegaRAID and RAID Virtual Device, but in both cases, it presents the following message: No new device driver was found. Make sure that the installation medium contains the correct drivers and then click OK.

Our server is TS430 type 0932 with 2 SATA disks of 1 Tb each, I configured a RAID 1 array by means of onboard SATA software RAID, I set drive 0 to boot. Then, through easystartup disk (v 3.7.19), with the option to configure RAID, I also established RAID 1. But it did not allow to install the operating system, asked to be installed directly using the windows installation disk. I downloaded the drivers to a USB drive.

I need some step? Will you have an installation guide? Will there be another driver to do the installation?

Thanks

Luis430
Paper Tape
Views: 73
Message 4 of 7

I tried to install the operating system on a single disk. In the BIOS I deactivated the RAID mode of the SATA disks, I put it in IDE mode and in another test in AHCI mode. I made the easystartup disk steps, chose the Microsoft Windows Server 2012 r2 operating system, started the installation, asked me to insert the windows disk, started copying the files but it did not finish, after 2 minutes he stopped reading the DVD and did not replied the screen.

I have installed other Lenovo servers, such as TS130 and TS140, the difference is that these servers had the operating system disk provided by Lenovo and did not present problems during the installation.

In the case of the TS430, the disk of the operating system was generated from the ISO image downloaded from the Microsoft VLSC site, I think there is no compatibility between easystartup and the disk of the operating system.

I also did the test by starting the server with the operating system disk, but it does not recognize the RAID 1 array, nor does it recognize the SATA disk in IDE mode or in AHCI mode, when I try to install without the disk array.

Do you have any idea?

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 43
Message 5 of 7

Hi Luis430,

It looks like the OS image has some problem according to your test description.

I agree that your thought that the OS file from MS website should not have a compatibility issue with easystartup.

However, if the OS image was completely downloaded and made a bootable ISO, there should be no problem used to install the OS in AHCI or IDE mode instead of DVD not responding.

I suggested to:

1. Install the same OS file on the non-RAID disk of another server.

2. Try to use another ISO file.

Luis430
Paper Tape
Views: 28
Message 6 of 7

Hi ccchen,

I thank you for the suggestions to solve this problem.

The most difficult thing is always the diagnosis, because even with all the symptoms, the answer is not always clear.

The ISO disk of W2k12, I downloaded it a few months ago and I had the problems that you already know. In your last suggestion, you told me to download the ISO of the operating system again. So I did, but this time I put it on a USB stick and it worked, I did the installation.

Thank you again for your interest and support, greetings from Mexico D.F.

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 14
Message 7 of 7

Hi Luis430,

Glad to hear the issue was resolved, thank you for the feedback.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals