12-25-2015

CA

81 Signins

753 Page Views

• Views: 753
  • Message 1 of 6

3 PCIe slots for Lenovo D30?

2017-02-26, 15:29 PM

As there are 3 PCIE slots, why is it not possible to install a 3rd low power card in the motherboard?

Currently I have 2 video cards installed in regular x16 slots (slots #46 and #48 - in the users manual).

The video is running off one of the cards.

I have a slim line card (doesn't use any external power) for slot #49 (right adjacent to the memory slots of CPU#2).  When installed, computer would either not boot or when it did, would not recognize one of the other two cards.

What's the 3rd PCEI slot there for, decoration?

Options

4554 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3428 Signins

47925 Page Views

• Views: 47925
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: 3 PCIe slots for Lenovo D30?

2017-02-27, 17:18 PM

It could be any number of issues.  Do you have any details or specs for the card you're tying to install into that slot?  Also, what cards are you running in the full x16 slots?

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing from the description of your symptom that it might be a ROM space issue.  There are some things you can do to try to free up ROM space that might allow the system to boot normally.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

23 Posts

12-25-2015

CA

81 Signins

753 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2017-02-28, 2:35 AM

I have made some head way here....

Please note that I'm using this workstation as a seti@home number cruncher

I've freed up some resources as you've suggested, turning off some ROM features that are quit useful in other workstation platforms. I turned off audio, CDROM, and a bunch of other little things.

I have 2 GTX 780Tis for the 2 x16 slots, I used a kit purchased from Japan that allows a x16 video card to connect via a x1 riser card, and I fitted this into the blue x16 slot. The blue slot is mechanical x16, but will only do up to x4. I don't care, the main number crunching is done by the video card unit itself and the severe bottleneck at x1 is meaningless for my purposes, unlike gaming and CAD which rely on huge bandwidth pathway to make things look seemless.

The card I used in the blue slot is a GTX 750ti, very basic, no external power. (I don't have any SATA to PCIE adapters...yet)

quick boot up and it worked! It was initially recongnized as a "generic video card", but the drivers that were used for the GTX 780Tis also worked for the GTX 750Ti (I had to install them manually, but that flavor was present in the original installation package).

My power backup unit registered a draw of 680W when everything was fully working.

I understand these machines weren't tested for this purpose, with these cards. But they are just flying through the radio telescope data like its nothing. I'll query the seti@home site to see if there are any errors with the calculations. Obviously none of these cards are parity checked like the quadros, but we'll see what my error rates are after a few weeks of 24/7 operation. The website will alert me if any of the cards are giving them garbage data back.

I think there is a 4th small PCIex4 connector on this board, I think I'll press my luck and install another GTX 750Ti. Will report back if it works well. There maybe some mechincal obstruction from the huge GTX 780Ti though, we'll see.

Options

4554 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3428 Signins

47925 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2017-02-28, 16:38 PM

Hmmm....well I'm not sure what features you might have disabled, but audio and CD-ROM drives don't actually load any OPROMs during POST (or if they do, they are tiny in size), so I don't think that had any effect on the boot situation.   However  you seem to now be booting so that's good.  For reference, I would normally recommend disabling the second LAN or any unused storage controllers to free up OPROM space for other add-in cards if there is a situation where that available space is getting tight.

I also don't understand why you would choose to run a graphics card in a x4 electrical slot and then run it through some sort of converter to cut it down to x1.  I think you could actually accomplish the same thing in BIOS setup if you wanted, but I don't see the problem with simply letting the card run at x4 bandwidth (even though that's not a priority as you pointed out).  Cards should automatically train to the number of lanes provided without the need to set anything in BIOS specifically (assuming you've not changed the default settings for PCIe).

Probably no harm in putting another card in unused x4 slot.  It has an open tailgate design so it can accept higher bandwidth (x8, x16) cards if needed.  You might have some physical interference to watch out for with the SATA connectors depending on card length.

Also keep in mind that, as you mentioned, these systems aren't spec'd for 24/7 heavy load use that normally comes with stuff like SETI@home.  Running your system for long periods of time like that could impact the overall lifetime of some of the components within your system (particularly some of the components on the motherboard).  Just something to be aware of. 

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

23 Posts

12-25-2015

CA

81 Signins

753 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2017-03-01, 2:09 AM

Great points... will disable the 2nd LAN, and the storage controllers.

I will keep the side panel off and I will have a fan set at medium blowing some air across the board for added cooling.

Just to clarify, the 3rd graphics card is sitting on a separate daughter board and via a USB cable, connects to the blue PCIE slot via a x1 interface, thats how they come I suppose.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Machine-Enhanced-Extender-Adapter/dp/B01CU1U2XG

If I had a slim single slot card, I would just plug it in directly without the adapter cable.

I have a D20 and D30 that I'm putting them throught the Seti@home torture test, so far these Lenovo machines are build like tanks! Will report back with progress every 6months or so.

Options

4554 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3428 Signins

47925 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2017-03-01, 22:39 PM

Oh I think I understand now.  You're running into a space issue with double wide cards.  The card you'd normally try to plug into the blue x4 slot is a double wide, which is why you're using the x1 adapter thing from the link in order to fit everything.  Makes sense.  Is that 3rd card internal to the system, or just kind of crammed in there?  I'd be curious to see how all of that looks in terms of fit.  Sounds like a franken-system ;)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete