Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 8

BIOS POST problem beeps on Thinkstation S20 desktop troubleshooting question...

2018-02-04, 22:18 PM

Just a Noob question who currently owns a post-DOA(recently)Thinkstation S20 workstation;worked fine until i tried taking the mainboard out then put it back in,and have since been getting the following (none of the OEM cooling fans work when the power cord is plugged into the PSU...) POST Beep Codes:1 short,3 short,3 short,1 short beep sequence...

if anyone familiar with the aformentioned beep code could please let me know what the aforementioned Beep codes mean????

fyi...i have done the following to troubleshoot the S20 POST beeps by:tried to clear CMOS jumper,removed/replaced good CMOS battery...have removed and swapped DDR3 ECC RAM....yet STILL get the aforementioned POST beep code!!!?!

Thanks in advance for a reply!!

Update by El Lenovo NooB....

i have found the IBM beep codes online that indicate i either have a bad DIMM slot ...or bad DIMM ram stick/s....

...funny thing is that i have tried removing / reinstalling the OEM Lenovo Ram stick/s (used individually as well as dual channel mode..)these RAM Sticks worked great when i first bought this workstation so i am thinking the TS s20 MB is "bad"(No POST boot,NO video,no fans running or BIOS SETUP....possibly a bad CMOS BIOS ???...)

I will probably end up sending this thinkstation to the nearest eWaste center if i am unable to resolve this issue(btw...i bought this from an ebay seller that refunded my {pro rata ...no less}payment for this Refurbished (?) Lenovo s20)...so after all i did get some of my money back on this purchase : /!!

Options

5256 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3702 Signins

51735 Page Views

• Views: 51735
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: BIOS POST problem beeps on Thinkstation S20 desktop troubleshooting question...

2018-02-05, 7:30 AM

The 1-3-3-1  beep sequence does indeed point to memory issues typically.

What CPU do you have installed in your system?
Are you using UDIMM or RDIMM memory (RDIMM is not supported in S20).  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: BIOS POST problem beeps on Thinkstation S20 desktop troubleshooting question...

2018-02-05, 15:30 PM

I'd also ask if the beep sequence changes when you try to boot with no DIMMs installed. No-DIMM chirps are usually different than DIMM-error chirps.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-02-05, 20:54 PM

sry for the late reply,but was afk and afpc....not a much of a diehard forum follower per se....but to answer your question:the Lenovo is OEM stock with the Xeon 4 core intel processor(1),and Lenovov spec ECC ram sticks(2 Lenovov branded oem at 2gb per stick...)

fyi..this was a refurbished Workstation bought as online purchase

Options

5 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-02-05, 20:56 PM

sry for the late reply,but was afk and afpc....not a much of a diehard forum follower per se....but to answer your question...no,the POST Beep Sequence remains the same(1-3-3-1)....whether i have 1 Lenovo branded Ram stick,2 L*****Ram stciks,or No L****Ram Sticks installed...

...which is surprising even to me...: /

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-02-05, 22:41 PM

I'd say that definitely points to a problem with your RAM channels and/or your CPU's connection to them.  We've basically eliminated the DIMMs themselves for now as a problem.  In order to get this machine back on it's feet, basically, we need to get it back to chirping the 3-1 no DIMM alarm when there's no DIMM's installed in the system, or else your system will likely require service.

I'd start by inspecting the DIMM slots, see if any clips are broken/loose, blow out the slots with canned air or ESD-less vacuum.

If reseating the memory after this doesn't help, its time to inspect your socket for damage,dust, and debris.  You can also give your CPU a good wipedown with alcohol to make sure theres no grime or Thermal Interface Material on the gold contacts on the bottom of the processor.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2018-02-06, 20:42 PM

I will try that next....

though...tbh...

the Lenovo S20 mainboard looks in near mint condition however the S20 case shows signs of being run in a fairly dusty environment so will try air/dry cleaning it out;the DIMM slots themselves look in excvellent condition as well(no chips,broken slots,etc...)...

Thanks for the reply!!

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-02-06, 21:25 PM

I just have to reiterate caution when I hear that you've removed the motherboard from the case and swapped the cpu on your own, it's all too easy to bang up a trace or otherwise cause damage when you're removing the motherboard, especially if it's your first time. 

Realigning the toolless motherboard mounts for reassembly usually requires a steady hand and some finesse.  Make sure your boards is level and that all the standoffs are securely in their channels before pushing the motherboard towards the back of the case.

And, as always, the socket is even more delicate than the rest of the motherboard, a bent or broken pin will brick your box.  Always work with the socket covered with a socket cover or the processor still clamped down onto the board.  If you go this route, make sure you don't get any crud or oil from your skin in the Thermal Interface Material while its exposed.  Hot spots in the grease can cause your chip to burn out.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms