Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

07-09-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 6

BIOS recovery - not flashing?

2021-07-21, 19:08 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to restore flash my P510 BIOS and I'm not sure what's going wrong.

jumper set for recovery

USB optical drive with burned ISO image from support site

booting with optical drive connected sees it spin up and read, then I get 2 beeps and it spins down, then it just sits there forever (over 1 hour tested) and does nothing

Same repro with USB thumb drive

Same repro with previous bios version

If I don't connect the USB optical or thumbdrive, I get a different faster 2 beeps (probably indicating that the bios has been cleared?)

Is there something preventing the recovery process from flashing? 

Options

5196 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3672 Signins

51385 Page Views

• Views: 51385
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:BIOS recovery - not flashing?

2021-07-22, 12:42 PM

It sounds like you are following the correct process for the most part.  Two suggestions:

1.  Make sure you're creating the CD from the ISO, and not simply burning/copying the ISO to the CD.  The recovery process needs to see the correct file structure on the disc to work properly, and simply copying the ISO to the disc won't accomplish that.

2.  Double check to ensure that the USB optical device you're using is capable of supporting the optical media you created.  I've seen in the past where people will overlook the fact that their base CD-ROM isn't capable of reading data from a burned DVD-R.

Alternatively, I think you could try using a USB key for recovery if you can essentially format the drive as fat32 and create the key from the CD ISO.  It's been a while since I've tried doing that, so I might be overlooking some details with the process, but at a high level I think it's supported.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

9 Posts

07-09-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-07-22, 18:02 PM

I've verified the contents of the ISO and even tried using different software to burn the CDs.  I'm using the same optical drive to write and read (as it's an external device) so there's no issue with the actual drive being able to read the disc.

I've also tried the USB thumb drive w/ FAT and FAT32 formatting, and neither work.  The beeping sound is the same whether I use the thumb drive or the optical drive, so I suspect both paths 'work' in that the recovery path is attempting to read the firmware, but something is preventing it from proceeding.

I've uploaded a video of the diagnostic beep sequence (quite long) here: (29) Lenovo P510 Boot - Diagnostic Beeps - YouTube

Options

5196 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3672 Signins

51385 Page Views

• Views: 51385
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-07-28, 2:40 AM

Seems like the error beep code is 1 long + 3 short.  I don't recall what this is off the top of my head, but let me run it by our BIOS team and see if I can get some info for you.

The odd part is depending on when you start listening, it can almost sound like the 3 short + 1 long beep code sequence, which typically points to memory.  But I don't think it's a memory issue in this case.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

9 Posts

07-09-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-07-28, 5:01 AM

Thanks psuturtle.  I do appreciate it.  Yeah the closest I got from other sources was also memory, but I tested the memory sticks and the sequence does not sound the same.  As far as I can see this beep sequence is undocumented.

Hopefully you'll have an answer for me!

Options

102 Posts

01-04-2021

Russian Federation

83 Signins

855 Page Views

• Views: 855
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-07-28, 8:04 AM

Can this help?

IBM BIOS Beep Codes - BIOS Central

Judging by it video card is faulty.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms