Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-23-2021

Germany

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

Cable "map" for p340, SATA power cable for bay 1?

2021-07-23, 22:07 PM

Is there a document that describes the data and power cabling for a Thinkstation P340?  specifically a tower, 30DH00LMGE?

I had difficulty opening the black cable that holds the cable bundle in the chassis, but finally randomly got a fingernail in the right place (it's not so easy for anyone with impaired dexterity, or just not familiar with the cables, I wasn't even sure it was a latch, or if we were supposed to cut the tie).

Included was one SATA HDD power cable to one of the motherboard SATA power slot.  (when did SATA power switch to a motherboard slot, inside of wired from the power supply?)

I'd still like to see a cabling diagram, if they existed, for clarity, for adding additional HDD or optical drives.  

Options

5193 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3669 Signins

51365 Page Views

• Views: 51365
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Cable "map" for p340, SATA power cable for bay 1?

2021-07-24, 3:31 AM

Those cable guides can be tricky as I'll fully admit the latching mechanism is not visibly intuitive.  Once you get it open though, it should be clear how the mechanism works and hopefully that will make it easier to open in the future.  Those guides are not absolutely required...they simply help hold cables in place and out of the way.

Unfortunately we do not publish a guide with the cable routing used within the system.  

SATA power can be delivered from anywhere really.  Traditionally that voltage regulation was done within the power supply, which resulted in SATA power leads coming out of the PSU directly.  Many newer designs have moved that regulation to the motherboard for efficiency, cost, and help with cable routing.  As power supply designs move to single 12V rail outputs, SATA power regulation done on the board will become much more popular.

If you have a question about how a specific cable is expected to be routed, we can try to answer that and possibly provide pics if necessary.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms