Punch Card
Views: 443
Message 1 of 10

Cannot update BIOS: "unable to get BIOS driver handle"

Thinkstation E32

Logged in as administrator

Trying to update BIOS from FBKT55AUS to FBJYD5USA

Lenovo System Update has updated many drivers.  However, no BIOS update appears

Logging into Lenovo Support and going to My Products, then selecting this machine, then selecting Drivers & Software, a BIOS update appears.  I first tried the update from Windows, Windows 10, recently upgraded from Windows 7.  I get "unable to get BIOS driver handle"

When attempting to perform flash update from iso file that has been burned onto a CD, in the Command lines I get the following.

BIOS version is lower than or equal to 97

Please use Windows version flash tool

Press any key to continue

When I press any key, I am returned to c:\ and nothing happens. So, I exit.

I am totally flummoxed.  Please assist

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 379
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot update BIOS: "unable to get BIOS driver handle"

We'll have to look into this.  I suspect the BIOS you're trying to update from is so old that you might have to take a stepped approach to get it updated.  I can't recall ever seeing the flash from CD ISO method actually telling you to use the Windows Flash method instead, so that's somewhat new to me.  But I still think it's because the gap in BIOS versions is too large.

Let me see if we can determine if my suspicion is correct, and if so which interim BIOS level you need to flash to before coming all the way up to the latest version.

Edit:  I've asked the moderators to delete your other thread (posted a day before this one) since it appears to be a duplicate.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
karlo
Punch Card
Views: 344
Message 3 of 10

Thanks.  I am updating BIOS and drivers in advance of upgrading from windows 7 to Window 10.  Is BIOS version FBKT55AUS compatible with Windows 10?  If so, I will proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade and deal with updating the BIOS after that.

Note, I intend to use Windows 10 fingerprint capablities and also wish to use fingerprint credentials for Power-on.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 301
Message 4 of 10

We took an E32 system we had in the lab and atttempted to test out your scenario.  Here are the steps that we've taken to do so: 

1. We flashed our E32 system back to FBKT55AUS as our system originally had a much new BIOS flashed on it by using the flash from USB method.  This particular flash package for FBKT55AUS can be found here.

2. We then installed a Windows 7 preloaded image on the E32 system. 

3. We then used the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade to upgrade the system to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

4. Once this finished up, we downloaded the flash from OS version of BIOS FBKTD5AUS here.

5. Double-click on the fbjyd5usa.exe file that downloads to extract the contents of the executable. 

6. Open a command prompt window (CMD) as administrator. 

7. Browse to the appropriate directory where the executable above extracted out the contents. In our case, it was C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\FBJYD5USA. 

8. Run the following command: "Flash.cmd".

9. It'll ask you if you would like to update the Serial Number.  We said "n" for No. 

10. It'll ask you if you would like to update the Machine Type and Model. We said "n" for No. 

11. BIOS continues to flash.  At this point, it should lock the keyboard/mouse out until BIOS finishes flashing. 

12. When BIOS finishes flashing, you'll get a pop-up box that says something like: "System must reboot before changes take effect. Close all applications before rebooting. Reboot now?". At this point, click "Yes" to reboot the system. 

Let us know if you are still running into any issues. 

karlo
Punch Card
Views: 230
Message 5 of 10

I will try
karlo
Punch Card
Views: 221
Message 6 of 10

@mebsterbball wrote:

We took an E32 system we had in the lab and atttempted to test out your scenario.  Here are the steps that we've taken to do so: 

1. We flashed our E32 system back to FBKT55AUS as our system originally had a much new BIOS flashed on it by using the flash from USB method.  This particular flash package for FBKT55AUS can be found here.

2. We then installed a Windows 7 preloaded image on the E32 system. 

3. We then used the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade to upgrade the system to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

4. Once this finished up, we downloaded the flash from OS version of BIOS FBKTD5AUS here.

5. Double-click on the fbjyd5usa.exe file that downloads to extract the contents of the executable. 

6. Open a command prompt window (CMD) as administrator. 

7. Browse to the appropriate directory where the executable above extracted out the contents. In our case, it was C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\FBJYD5USA. 

8. Run the following command: "Flash.cmd".

9. It'll ask you if you would like to update the Serial Number.  We said "n" for No. 

10. It'll ask you if you would like to update the Machine Type and Model. We said "n" for No. 

11. BIOS continues to flash.  At this point, it should lock the keyboard/mouse out until BIOS finishes flashing. 

12. When BIOS finishes flashing, you'll get a pop-up box that says something like: "System must reboot before changes take effect. Close all applications before rebooting. Reboot now?". At this point, click "Yes" to reboot the system. 

Let us know if you are still running into any issues. 

This helped.  I no longer get "unable to get BIOS driver handler"

I don't know if these made a difference, but, in addition to doing the above, I also did the following things that I did not do before.

1.  I right clicked cmd and chose Run as Administrator, rather than just open it, though, then as now, I was in Admin account when attempting to update the BIOS.

2.  In gpedit, obviously I had to "not configured" disable command prompt in my earlier effort and this most recent effort.  But, this time, I also "not configured" registry system editor.

Having done that, I followed the steps you provided.

In your Step 1, I think there are typos and you mean FBKTD5AUS, and not FBKT55AUS.

Per your Step 4, I downloaded the bios update using the link given in your post.  I think there is a typo and you meant FBJYD5USA, rather than FBKTD5AUS.  Nevertheless, the link downloaded fbjud5usa.exe.

In your step 7, I'll add that to browse to that folder in the CMD window, I entered CD C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\FBJYD5USA.  Then, I proceeded to Step 8.

The flash update proceeded, the machine restarted.  No "unable to get BIOS driver handle" appeared.  However, as I proceeded, problems were encountered:

A.  Upon restart, Lenovo startup did not recognize my fingerprint and re-directed to manual entry of password.  I manually entered passwords and got to Windows login screen.  Fingerprinnt login worked.  I shut down, then powered up again.  This time, Lenovo startup recognized the fingerprint.  I consider this problem resolved.

B.  The significant problem is that the BIOS did not update.  Using 'wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion' in CMD, the bios version is still FBKTD5AUS, despite the fact that the file that got downloaded and extracted was named fbjyd5usa.

My first inclination is to simply try flashing again, using the same files that were extracted.  But, I don't want to do that without advice.  I doubt a reattempt will change anything.  So, if it doesn't, what to do next?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 212
Message 7 of 10

BIOS version FBKTD5AUS is actually the latest BIOS listed for ThinkStation E32.  For my step 1 below, that's not a typo.  I basically was trying to get my system flashed down to the version that your system was at FBKT55AUS before attempting to update BIOS to the latest FBKTD5AUS.  

If your BIOS version is at FBKTD5AUS now as you indicated below, then the BIOS flashed correctly.  In looking at the Lenovo support site again today, it appears that we just released a newer BIOS FBKTD6AUS today 5/24/2019 if you would like to try updating to that latest level using the same procedure I highlighted above.  

karlo
Punch Card
Views: 206
Message 8 of 10

Great!

May I please have the link to the new BIOS?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 198
Message 9 of 10

karlo
Punch Card
Views: 186
Message 10 of 10

Thanks

Check out current deals!