Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

08-10-2015

United States

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: D20 3TB HD Issue

2015-08-13, 13:57 PM

Erik,

I believe that you're correct. Here's a rundown of my recent experiences, including some details that I think support what you're saying:

• The 3TB drives cannot be initialized when not configured in a RAID array, regardless of whether I select MBR or GPT
  • I CAN initialize a 3TB RAID 1 array as GPT with a total NTFS partition of ~2.72TB, BUT:
  1. If I use the Marvell BIOS to create the array, I lose it after one reboot (the array does not show up at all in the Marvell BIOS, the disks return to a status of "free" as opposed to unassigned, and show up in disk management as individual disks, just as they do when I delete the array manually. They are, once again, unable to be initialized, throwing the errors about which I posted previously in disk management.)
  2. Once I tried using the MRU to create the array, it survived a reboot...only to cause the computer to crash very regularly (looking at my windows logs, the uptime ranged from 7 minutes to ~4 hours). The upside to these crashes is that they finally generated an error for me that gave me a definitive clue that the problem and its accompanying instability are coming from what I'm trying to do with the Marvell storage controller (see screenshot)error.png

Answer
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 12 of 18

2015-08-13, 14:42 PM

Mv64xx.sys is obviously the Marvell driver, pointing back to a drive stack error with the configuration.  I hate to say it but I don't see 3TB HDDs working in RAID 1 without a discreet controller card.  Sorry :(

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11 Posts

08-10-2015

United States

11 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 13 of 18

2015-08-13, 17:09 PM

wrote:

Mv64xx.sys is obviously the Marvell driver, pointing back to a drive stack error with the configuration.  I hate to say it but I don't see 3TB HDDs working in RAID 1 without a discreet controller card.  Sorry :(

That's my take as well, but I will admit that it was nice to finally find something in the logs that I could take as actual evidence of the problem. I interpreted the mv64xx.sys the same way. 

Thanks again for your help (and the same to everyone else who's replied). Been a slightly frustrating experience, but at least I have some concrete resolution. Thankfully I do have an external tower capable of accomodating the drives, I'd just hoped for a slightly different configuration than what I'll now have to pursue.

Options

1 Posts

10-13-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 14 of 18

2017-10-13, 16:19 PM

i know this is a old thread but anyone know if you could use a pcie raid card for boot and surpass this issue with the non uefi bios?

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 15 of 18

2017-10-13, 18:24 PM

Greetings noonebikes4free, and welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, yes, I believe that is what erik is suggesting in his last reply to the Original Poster.  If the onboard-based array with larger drives continued to be problematic, as he says, a modern discrete PCIe Raid-on-Card adapter could be used to boot an array of "oversized" drives and run it at full capacity.

Hope this helps!

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5193 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3669 Signins

51365 Page Views

• Views: 51365
  • Message 16 of 18

2017-10-13, 19:20 PM

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.  I think Erik's original theory was that a newer storage controller might allow boot to larger than 2.2 partitions, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would definitely work.

Part of the problem lies in the OPROM supplied by the controller.  It's my guess that many manufacturers tied large partition (>2.2TB) support to their UEFI OPROMs and likely left their Legacy OPROMs alone.  This certainly would have been lower risk for them (storage controller vendor), and they were likely thinking that at the time, many PC OEMs had already moved to UEFI so it was just easier to support large boot partitions with their UEFI OPROM instead of worrying about porting it back to their Legacy OPROM.  That's where the problem shows up though in that D20 was still a Legacy Only box and not capable of supporting UEFI OPROMs.  So unless the vendor also updated their Legacy OPROM to handle larger boot support, it still won't work on D20.

I think it's much safer to say a newer controller could prove to be a workaround to this problem if their Legacy OPROM included support for large boot partitions.  We really have no way of knowing what various storage controller vendors did and how they implemented it though.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 17 of 18

2017-10-17, 14:14 PM

Hello again all!

Psuturtle is exactly right, the implementation is card and vendor specific, so if you just tried blindly with an old card off the shelf like I did at first, you might be disappointed.   However, I was able to track down a bit of info from the Avago/Broadcom website that should be helpful.

3Gb/s SATA+SAS HBAs will detect drives with greater than 2 TB in capacity (in other words, the 3Gb/s SATA+SAS HBAs will work with 3 TB SAS disk drives) if Phase 13 or newer IT firmware only (i.e. not IR firmware)(SAS disk drives only, not SATA) is used.

6Gb/s SATA+SAS HBAs will detect drives with greater than 2 TB in capacity (in other words, the 6Gb/s SATA+SAS HBAs will work with 3 TB disk drives) if Phase 10 or newer firmware is used.

retreived from : https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161495837/using-drives-2tb-in-capacity-with-lsi-sas-hbas

If you are using a different RAID card manufacturer, they likely have similar info posted, as well.

Hope this helps!

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 18 of 18

2017-10-18, 0:30 AM

wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.  I think Erik's original theory was that a newer storage controller might allow boot to larger than 2.2 partitions, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it would definitely work.

Correct. Back in 2015 when I posted my response above it was still unknown exactly what, if anything, would work. But, if something were to work then it would have to be an HBA of some sort given the limitations in the onboard controllers. The challenge was (and still is) knowing exactly which HBA to suggest.

might be onto something here. Unfortunately it's still an unknown since we'd have no way to confirm exactly which card(s) and drive(s) to suggest.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms