Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-18-2021

Canada

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 5

D30 Memory Woes

2021-07-18, 22:38 PM

Hi Folks,

My D30 blew up a year after support ended.  It's a type 4354.  I was incredibly lucky to have found a working D30 not 200m from my house.  It came with the same CPUs and 32gb of memory in a very strange combination 2x8gb 3x4gb 2x2gb == 32. 

I added by drives and the OS booted up!  (ESXi 7.02).  I replaced the 32gb with my original memory (4x16gb) and it also booted up.

When I added the original 32gb to my 64gb, it refused to boot.  Remove it, and it boots.  I also added 2x16Gb and it didn't boot.  And here's the kicker: with the original 4x16, if I reverse the chips in slots 2 (cpu 1 <-> 2), it does not boot!  When I reverse them again, it does!

I'd love to add some memory!  I cannot even understand how this is possible!  The bios does not complain, simply doesn't start.  If I pull all the memory out I get the appropriate beeps.

Memory is all the same "type" but of various speeds (except the 4x16 original - Kingston).  Remember the 32gb boots and that is also a few speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben Chernys

Options

5198 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3674 Signins

51400 Page Views

• Views: 51400
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:D30 Memory Woes

2021-07-19, 17:29 PM

We would need more specific details on the memory being used to determine if they truly are the same "type".  Can you provide vendor name and part numbers for the DIMMs in question (for each vendor/capacity)?

My guess is there is actually some difference between the original memory in your system and the new batch of memory from the replacement system, and that is not allowing the system to boot when those DIMMs are mixed.  We'd need details on all memory involved to determine that.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

8 Posts

07-18-2021

Canada

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-20, 4:43 AM

Thanks for your response.

I will get the names etc on Wed when I get back to a "proper" machine in place of a phone:)  I simply won't be at the memory 'til then.

However, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

Combo 1     2x8gb, 3x4gb, 2x2gb == 32gb

Boots ok

Combo  2    4x16gb

Boots ok

Combo  3    combo 2 plus combo 1

Does not boot

Combo  4   combo 2 plus 2x16gb

Does not boot

Combo  5  Combo 2 but with slot 2

exchanged between cpus

Does not boot

Combo 5 is the real tough one to explain, no?  No matter what the memory is.  Combo 3 is also confusing, no.

Cheers

Ben Chernys

Options

156 Posts

07-14-2015

United States of America

278 Signins

2072 Page Views

• Views: 2072
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-08-03, 12:04 PM

@Ben.Chernys  - did you ever get the vendor and part number information on the memory DIMMs? Your scenarios above are definitely very strange and doing a comparison of memory vendors, types, etc, is probably going to be the best place to start debugging this one.

Additional thoughts:

- Have you tried adding memory DIMMs incrementally to the original "working" 4x16GB config? I'm just curious if the system will boot (or possibly throw a legitimate memory error) if you add just one new DIMM at a time to the working config. Incidentally, these couldn't have been the DIMMs that shipped with either D30 because I'm pretty sure we never qualified Kingston memory on D30 ( @psuturtle - keep me honest here ).

- If you can get to the point where you have a system that will boot, but perhaps not recognize all of the DIMMs, it would be nice to be able to run Memtest (https://www.memtest86.com/) or some other memory diagnostic against the problematic DIMMs.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

8 Posts

07-18-2021

Canada

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-08-03, 17:36 PM

Hi PhatMan,

You are correct in that when I bought the machine, 6 or so years ago, the vendor replaced the Lenovo shipped memory and drives.  Kingston (apparently) was the best, had a lifetime warrenty, and was cheaper.  Not sure why he replaced the drives but perhaps because of the 10K speed?  An excellent vendor and I have bought all my and my familiy's laptops over the years from him - all Lenovo except the first few (IBM).  He had to change the keyboard and installed Windows to English for me :)

I have a partial spreadsheet of models etc below.  6 chips, all 16Gb.

But in my 2nd post, scenerio 5 does not need the chip set info as explicitly, here's the scenerio:

Chips, a,b,c,d all the same type of Kingston 16Gb.  In cpu:slots:

a 1:1 b 2:1 c 1:2 d 2:2   boots ok

a 1:1 d 2:1 c 1:2 b 2:2   fails

I also had the original 32Gb in a wild array of chips boot ok but when combined with my original 64 failed to boot.  64 in 1,2 in rest in descending order of size evenly across cpus.

I have not added chips one at a time.  I thought I had to add them "ballanced" across CPUs.

Perhaps that would lower the massive number of possibilities of chip/slot populations.  But the above scenerio expands those possibilities immensly.  With my original 4 chips and four slots alone we're looking at 4! 24 boots.  I have 13 chips and that's  6227020800 - only if I use all the chips :)

Start of chip inventory

label cpu slot sz      
a1 1 2 16gb KTL - TS316/16Gb   pic1
a2 1 1 16gb KTL - TS316/16Gb 16GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 12800R - 11 - 12 -12 pic2, pic3
a3 2 1 16gb KTL - TS316/16Gb   pic4, pic5
a4 2 2 16gb KTL - TS316/16Gb   pic6,pic7

boots          
  fails   a1 a4 exchanged cpus    

fails   above + 2x16gb    
b1 1 3 16gb HP G787RB3 16gb 2Rx4 PC3 - 12800R - 11 - 12 - e2 pic8,9
b2 2 3   HP G74L7B3   pic10,11

BTW the two latest machines, a fully loaded 4k P70 and that original D30 have had no support calls.  I see that he must have replaced/augmented memory and drives in the P70 too unless it's in "Additional Parts".  I have 64Gb and an additional 1tb ssd.  Prior to that all machines have had at least 1 call replacing cooling systems.  I tend to buy them maxed out and I think the new Intel chips run cooler.  That being said, the old D30 seemed to generate a lot more heat than this one does at more or less the same load.

I am/was very very saddened of the evolution of the w701 to the p70 in the loss of the Wacom tablet!  And I must also say the keyboard is not as good.

Anyway, I'll get on that further list of the chips making up the 32Gb that did boot alone.  Can't get at it now though.  The chips are out of the machine and the machine is up and running normally (ESXi 7.0).

Anyhow you have a 6 chips which boot and don't boot listed above.  The 32Gb is icing on the cake.

I want to thank you for your efforts.  I will bring the box down as I want to review that one setting in the BIOS that the simulator showed I may have missed I/AOT.  I am trying to get a Win 10 guest to pick up the video card and screen.

Cheers

Ben Chernys

You mea

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms