Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Plasticman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 199
Message 1 of 3

D30 Mixing Dual with Quad Rank Memory

I have looked through the forums and came across some information with regards to mixing Memory ranks but nothing concrete for a D30.

I currently have in my system 8x4Gb (2rx4) and 4x8Gb(2rx4) sticks in my system. I am now looking to fill two of the remaining 4 slots with 2x32Gb sticks however I can only lay my hands on 4rx4 sticks.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this already and could they please confirm if I install these as per the d30 guidelines ( i.e. one to each processor, first in line and then move the rest down) that there will be no issues or if there will be issues then what can I expect?

Thanks

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 165
Message 2 of 3

Re: D30 Mixing Dual with Quad Rank Memory

I believe this will work OK, but unfortunately I do not seem to have the parts on hand any more to actually test it out.

Looking back over the D30 qualified parts, I do see that there were 4Rx4 ranked 32GB 1333MHz RDIMMs officially qualified on the platform.  From what I can tell, all of the other parts qualified on the platform were either single or dual rank, and I don't recall any rules that specifically blocked mixing of ranks.  It might not present the most balanced configuration to the controller when mixing ranks, so it's possible that you could see a slight hit to memory bandwidth.  But this might not matter if the increased memory capacity is really what you're going after.

Be careful of what type of DIMMs you're purchasing to make sure that they are in fact RDIMMs.  I did happen to have some 32GB LRDIMM parts on hand, and can confirm that those do not seem to function (and certainly wouldn't function when mixed with regular RDIMM).  

I can give you the vendor and model numbers of the 32GB RDIMMs that we actually qualified on D30 if you need it.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Plasticman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 156
Message 3 of 3

Re: D30 Mixing Dual with Quad Rank Memory

Hi psuturtle,

Thanks for the info, I have been looking only at RDIMMs, came across a few LRDIMMs but luckily noticed and discounted them.

If you have info on approved modules I will certainly take a look, I am running Reality Capture processes so am looking at max memory more than anything so I could handle a minor drop in speed, eventually I want to get to my max of 512Gb in my dual Xeon processor rig using only 32Gb Sticks so it would be a temporary fix for the moment whilst i get it all swapped out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors