02-20-2019

GB

31 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 1 of 4

D30 Won't Power On

2020-06-28, 17:48 PM

I am hoping the community can help me out with an Issue on my D30.Recently I have been having issues with powering on my system, but today I just can't get it started at all, symptoms being no Power on, no beeps and no indication of any sort that the WS is attempting to power up. I have removed and paperclip tested the PSU which had the fan running, I then used a multimeter and tested the 24pin with the paperclip in and got correct voltage from the individual pins. All this would seem to point to a Main Board failure, however I have not seen seeing any issues with a failing board so just wondering if there has been anything that I have overlooked when checking out the hardware. The Unit does travel about with me when working away so is there something that I could have knocked loose that would cause this issue. Basically there is no indication at all at power up. The PSU fan does not spin when the system is cabled back up only when I am paperclip testing it.Any help would be appreciated

System Specs

2x 2690 v1 Xeon CPU

GTX 1080 TI GPU

Samsung EVO 1TB SSD

Seagate 6TB HDD

196 Gb RDIMM 

Thanks

Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:D30 Won't Power On

2020-06-29, 19:32 PM

The "traveling around" part is a bit concerning, especially with the GPU you're using.  Typically for D30 systems that are using large double-wide GPUs, we would have a metal extender bracket installed on the GPU that connects to the tail of the card and engages the card guide near the front of the system.  This bracket ensures the system can survive our normal drop, shock, and vibration testing with such a large GPU installed and not suffer any damage.  Transporting a D30 system with a large/heavy GPU installed that doesn't have one of those extender brackets could easily lead to damage to the motherboard.  I'm guessing the 1080Ti  you're using doesn't have a proper extender bracket installed that can engage the card guide.

I'd suggest pulling the GPU and seeing if you can get the system to boot with the GPU installed in the other x16 slot on the board.  If it works in the other slot, there's a good chance the original x16 slot was damaged.

If that doesn't yield any results, you could always follow basic debug practice here which would involve stripping the system down to a "bare bones" config consisting of only the minimal hardware required for the system to boot properly (namely CPU, memory, GPU).  The idea being to reduce as many hardware variables as possible to try to narrow down what's going on.  If that doesn't work, you could try pulling memory and GPU (i.e. boot system with only CPU) to see if you get the expected no memory error beep sequence.  If so, you know the board is at least powering up and trying to POST.  If not, then there's a deeper HW issue likely going on.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

9 Posts

02-20-2019

GB

31 Signins

265 Page Views

• Views: 265
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-07-01, 22:55 PM
Hi Psturtle, You are right I don't have an extender bracket that would support the card when moving around. I did strip the system down and tried several configurations and still couldn't get it to power, or attempt to power up. I get the power going into and coming out of the PSU but nothing at all once it hits the board. Can you explain the 2 lights above the power input on the back.of the PSU, i notice that one of these lights up when the cord is plugged in but the other remains dark. Is there any significance to this? I will tey a different location for the card to se if it makes any difference. Thanks again for your input.
Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-07-02, 13:38 PM

The lights on the rear of the power supply are diagnostic LEDs for the PSU itself.  Details should be covered in the HMM or User Guide.  If you see a single solid green LED, that typically means the PSU is functioning normally and you're good to go.  If you see a different pattern for those LEDs, (such as flashing, or the amber LED lit) then you'll want to consult the documentation on how to proceed as the LEDs should help differentiate if the problem is PSU related or board related.

Hopefully the board wasn't damaged, but it is something we've seen happen before.  For reference, the recommendation for cases like this where extender brackets can't be used is to remove the GPU from the system prior to shipping it to avoid damage.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete