Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ELaimins
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,045
Message 1 of 3

Disk Cloning

Hey folks,

I have an SSD for my (E31 w/windows 7 Pro x64) system disk, and a 1 TB HD with three partitions on it...

As an additional safety measure I'd like to clone my system disk to the spare storage I have on my HD.

Yes I know about the source > destination disk size requirement (i.e. Destination must be at least as big as the source drive).

Are there any FREE and proven cloning apps out t here that anyone has used and can recommend?

Thanks!

Eric

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 2,015
Message 2 of 3

Re: Disk Cloning

you might try windows backup and restore.   it's a feature baked into win 7 and allows bare-metal backup and recovery of a system disk or data volume.   as long as you can read your target HDD using win 7 pro x64 boot media (DVD typically works best) then you can recover the source copy to a replacement SSD or data volume.   if the target SSD increases in side then you can use disk management to increase the partition size.   backups can be scheduled multiple times per day or scripted using task scheduler and wbadmin + command line params.

one side benefit is the backups are saved as VHD files and can be mounted and accessed from any system.   if you accidentally delete or overwrite a file you can mount a previous VHD and grab the latest copy.   i save a mirror of my backups to an external encrypted HDD then take it with me when mobile.   if i need a file while away then the VHD can be mounted and it looks exactly like my system's drive structure.

i use windows server backup which is essentially the same thing but for server OSes.   i believe the underlying architecture is similar to what's included with win 7.

there are certainly better apps out there but i've yet to have this completely fail me and give reason to hunt down an alternative.   i've used it for 5+ years, possibly longer.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Highlighted
ELaimins
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,988
Message 3 of 3

Re: Disk Cloning

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for that.

Since I posted the question I researched the matter further. I found EaseUS Todo Backup Free 6.0 and it's perfect for my workstation.

I simply cloned my boot/system partition on my SSD and placed it on a partition of equal size on my HD. 

I tested the image by booting up to it and no problems at all.

So now if my SSD goes bad or won't boot, I simply hit F1 at computer start and chose the HD as my first boot disk. 

Works great - and it's free... and free is good Smiley Wink

Eric

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors