Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NattyH
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 1 of 10

Do I need to install Windows 10 1903?

I took delivery of my new ThinkStation (P330) on Friday Sept 6.

I've installed a few things on it so far, but not started the process of copying over all my data from my old Lenovo PC or installing all other software yet.

Should I proceed with the Windows 10 1903 update that is available when I run Windows Update -> Check for Updates? Or leave it for now?

If the answer is to update now, do I need to create a restore point? And if so how?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new to Windows 10.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 221
Message 2 of 10

Re: Do I need to install Windows 10 1903?

You are going to have to upgrade to 1903 at some point, so there is no time like the present.   

I would recommend that you first update all the device drivers etc. for your system using Lenovo System Update, because that will ensure that any drivers needed for 1903 compatibility are in place before the upgrade.    

Cheers, 

NattyH
Paper Tape
Views: 197
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I'd already run all updates via the Lenovo program. I'll run them again before performing this update, but do I need to create a restore point or anything like that before running the OS update? And if so, how do I do it in Windows 10?

Highlighted
namyacs
Token Ring
Views: 192
Message 4 of 10

I would strongly recommend creating your own restore points even though windows does so also.
There is no harm in doing so only benefits.

just search for create restore point.   There are a few entry points into this process e.g control panel, system, system protection

NattyH
Paper Tape
Views: 190
Message 5 of 10

Can you point me in the right direction for how to do this in Windows 10?

I just don't want to mess up in any way of form.

I held off updating the OS on my old Windows 8.1 desktop because of the issues colleagues had doing the same on their systems. So only wanted to switch to Windows 10 on a fresh system, and lo and behold an OS update is due... Smiley Wink

NattyH
Paper Tape
Views: 187
Message 6 of 10

Thanks just saw your reply after editing mine.

I'm hoping to get back to setting up my new desktop later this week after I get some jobs off my desk.

namyacs
Token Ring
Views: 186
Message 7 of 10

I amended my original response.  It’s straight forward.  Once launched,  In the window ensure the c drive protection is set to on.  Highlight the c drive line and select configure and ensure there is space provided using the slider then select create provide a description.  That’s it. 

You may want to protect other drives however consider if their contents and therefore if required.    Hope this helps always awkward via a description.  

Many youtube videos available 

namyacs
Token Ring
Views: 181
Message 8 of 10

I like windows 10, but my recommendation is to always use the pro version.   It’s quite stable however I have recently experienced blue screens on a p900 post 1903 patching with feature updates.  

So restorepoints make recovery “comfortable” !!!! 😨

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 162
Message 9 of 10

To create a system restore point

• Click Start and type Control Panel  and Select Control Panel from the list of search results to open.  (Tip:  Right click on the search result and select "Pin to Taskbar" for easy access in the future)
  • Select the System and Security Category, and then select System  
  • Select System Protection from the left pane of "System Information" window to open the "System Protection" tab of the System Properties window 
  • If you have more than HDD/SSD drive, from the "Protection Settings window", select the drive that contains the OS (System), and then select Configure
  • Ensure that "Turn on system protection" is enabled
  • Using the slider, increase that space allocated for System Restore points to about 50GB of drive space.   (you can allocate less space, but 50GB is will allow you to save about 10 restore points before the system begins overwriting them)
  • Click Create, give the restore point a descriptive name, and then select create. 

Cheers,

NattyH
Paper Tape
Views: 160
Message 10 of 10

Thank you all! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors