Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 4 (404 Views)

Does ThinkStation permit add storage capacity?

Hi,

I write from a science company. We want to buy the WorkStation P910. If we buy that with an M.2 PCIe SSD unit but without another storage disk, Does the workstation permit add storage disk in the future??

Currently, we have a 3.5-HDD with many information and we want to conserve it and install it in that new computer unit if were possible.

Cheers,

--
Norman.

Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 4 (397 Views)

Re: Does ThinkStation permit add storage capacity?

Yes this can be done without much trouble at all.  Since P910 uses blind connect assemblies for the standard method of attaching storage, you should be able to install up to 4 SATA drives (1 per tray) in the HDD bays with no additional cabling required.  

If you need more than 4 devices, you have 2 options:

1.  Install them in the ODD bays.  Note that you would need converters to allow the drives to fit in this case and would also need to supply SATA data cables for each additional drive.  We support  up to 2 drives in the available ODD bays.

2.  Switch over to one of the 8-port LSI controllers.  This will allow up to 8 drive connections in the standard HDD bays (up to 2 per tray), but this would be limited to one 3.5" and one 2.5" drive per tray (i.e. 8 x 3.5" SATA would not physically fit).

How many 3.5" SATA drives do you need to add to the system post purchase?

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 4 (374 Views)

Thanks. Very complete.
To your question, in the future, we need install just 2 SATA drives. One 3.5-HDD and one 2.5-SSD.
I understand the P910 will supports it.
Lenovo Staff
Message 4 of 4 (359 Views)

OK two 3.5" SATA drives is very easy...no extra parts needed.  

One word of caution as people often make this mistake.  Take note as to the orientation of your 3.5" SATA drives when installing them.  For each tray, there are two separate connectors on the backplane.  When using the onboard Intel storage controller, only one of those ports will be active per tray.  If you have AC power attached, you should see an LED indicating which port is active and what drive types can be used.  I believe in your scenario, the 3.5" SATA drive will appear to install upside down when inserted correctly.  The dimple on the tray will be on the lower side.

Top Kudoed Authors