Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Truckeic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 306
Message 1 of 7

E31 that gets stuck on BIOS Screen

I have a E31. Trying to update drivers and let Lenovo Utility have a go at it. Turned my back and it started to update the BIOS. Now the PC boots and says hit enter to stop booting. It goes to the blue screen and lets me into the BIOS. The Rev that is in it now is 9S9CA. I think this is the wrog one. If I let the machine just try and boot it gets stuck on the hit enter screen and there we sit.

Can someone that knows more about these Lenovo's tell me if this is the corrrect BIOS and if I have any chnace of reviving this PC.

I sure would appreciate it.

I have downloaed the BIOS from the Support section that supposed to be the correct one and burned that image to a CD. The PC never starts to hit the CD...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 297
Message 2 of 7

Re: E31 that gets stuck on BIOS Screen

Can you maybe post a pic of what your BIOS summary screen is showing (where it lists the version of BIOS installed)?

I think you have the right BIOS, but perhaps something went wrong in the last update.

Also, if you simply burned the .ISO file to a CD, that's not going to work.  You need to create the CD from the .ISO (which is an image file).  You should be able to just double click on the file after it's downloaded to create the CD properly.  Of course, you'll also need to either make sure the CD/DVD drive is in the normal boot sequence, or press F12 during POST to manually select the drive as a temp boot device.  Lastly, make sure the drive you're using supports the media you've burned (i.e. CD-ROMs won't read a burned DVD-ROM, etc.).

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Truckeic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 268
Message 3 of 7

Ok So here is the Pic of the BIOS Screen. I did burn the ISO to CD not copy it. So if you got any ideas why this would just sit on the Lenovo screen and never boot to DVD would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!

Truckeic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 267
Message 4 of 7

Lenovo BIOS.jpgThis is as far as it gets when it bootsLenovo BIOS Version.jpgHere is the version screen

Lenovo Employee croooowe
Lenovo Employee
Views: 234
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for the images, we will verify that info shortly, but could you please edit your BIOS screen image to remove or blur the Serial Number?

Truckeic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 142
Message 6 of 7

Any ideas why this pc would never boot. I guess this is a brick. We have 8 or 9 Lenovo machines here where I work and with the status of how these work I am not sure I would ever buy one.

Lenovo Employee croooowe
Lenovo Employee
Views: 123
Message 7 of 7

It appears that you have the correct and current BIOS level for your system.

Have you tried selecting F9 while in BIOS to reset to defaults? Do that and then select F10 to save the BIOS settings and exit/reboot. If that does not work it is possible there was an issue or problem during the BIOS update. As you already have the ISO you may want to try to perform a BIOS recovery using the following steps:

1.  Create disc from BIOS ISO image, then insert it to the ODD drive.

2.  Disconnect AC power and move CMOS clear jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3.

3.  Apply AC power, boot system.  You should hear a two beep pattern (at minimum) indicating CMOS has cleared, and eventually you'll see a video sync showing progress of the recovery process.

4.  When that's done, the system should shut itself down.  At this point, remove AC power again and move the clear CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2.

5.  Power up the system and ensure it's booting through POST normally.  You might get a "setup data integrity check failure" message in POST.  You can enter BIOS setup (F1), load defaults (F9), and then save and exit (F10) to clear that message.

If this fails you may want to download the image again and try to create another CD/DVD of the same level, in case there was a problem with the original download, or even try the previous verion which can be found at the bottom of the page here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/WORKSTATIONS/THINKSTATION-E-SERIES-WORKSTATIONS/THINKSTA...

-edited for typos-

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors