Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danelco
Paper Tape
Views: 368
Message 1 of 5

E32 SFF Thinkcentre hang up on Lenovo Logo splash screen on restart

Yesterday I did a routine restart and when rebooting my E32 SFF it got hung up on the Lenovo Logo splash display and didn't load windows. The operatiing system is Windows 10 64 bit. Thinking it might be a hard drive problem, I had at the time a 500GB SSD installed which had been cloned from the original 180GB SSD that came with the computer. I swapped the 500GB drive with the original 180GB drive but the problem still persists which leads me to believe it's not a hard drive or Windows issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The fans power up and the led indicators as well as the USB ports, so I'm doubting a power supply problem. I have a Windows 10 repair disc but it won't boot on the disc as I believe the bios is set up to boot on the hard drive only. Is this a motherboard problem?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 322
Message 2 of 5

Re: E32 SFF Thinkcentre hang up on Lenovo Logo splash screen on restart

It could be any number of issues if the system is not getting out of POST.  Is this hang now consistant to the point that you cannot boot the system?

First step I would try is flashing BIOS to the latest level if the system will allow it.  It's tough for me to tell where the system might be stuck in POST, so not sure if that is even a viable option.  But it's the best place to start.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
danelco
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply. I actually solved the problem last night. I disconnected everything from the computer except the power and mouse and the computer booted fine. So I kept added one item back at a time, booting and shutting down the computer until I connected the final item which was my Western Digital My Passport external hard drive. It was the external hard drive that was causing the problem. Si disconnected it and all seems back to normal.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 313
Message 4 of 5

Ahh yes.  I've seen that happen on some of the older platforms.  I'm guessing if you left it sit at the spot where you thought the system was hung long enough, it might have eventually timed out and moved on and booted normally.  But that's just a hunch based on some past experience.  

Do you happen to know if that drive was excluded in the boot sequence?  Sometimes that will help with it, but I've still encountered cases where some non-bootable USB devices seem to stall POST on the older platforms.

At any rate, glad you got it resolved!

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
danelco
Paper Tape
Views: 310
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Actually I left it on in the hung up spot for several hours to no avail. I was very grateful I got it up and rinning and that it wasn't something more serious.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors