Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Views: 51380
  • Message 1 of 11

Feedback request - SIO and Front Panel Firmware update for P-series platforms

2017-01-04, 16:52 PM

As some of you might be aware, there have been a couple of threads/posts referencing a problem when trying to use the SIO and front panel firmware update package that is provided on the support site (here).

Some users have reported issues with the installer failing very early in the process due to a checksum/security issue.  In the error condition, the progress indicator will stop at 15% and there will be a message displayed saying "Error: Package file integrity check fails.  Please try to reinstall package [1]".  The message looks similar to this:

We've actively been working on this issue, but we could use your help in getting to root cause.  Part of the delay in debugging this problem is once we clear the error, we can't get it to replicate again.  And not every system replicates the error in the first place.

So here's the deal....if you have experienced the issue above and are willing to help out, please send me a private message.  I will distribute a test version of the  update package that we are working on for you to flash on your system.  This test package will update the firmware for the SIO and front panel to the correct levels, and while doing this is will create a log file of some information we need to help continue our debug process.  This file will be stored at C:\Lenovo\Firmware\FG01_V5385_S1629\setup.log.  All we ask is that if you agree to use/test this update package for us, that you please send us the log file that gets created such that we can work to finalize the fix for the update package.  Log files can be sent to me via private message and I will relay them over to the team working on this issue.  In return, you get your system updated to the latest SIO and front panel firmwares :)

Note, this applies to P500/510/700/710/900/910 systems only!

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.  Thanks for helping! 

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Feedback request - SIO and Front Panel Firmware update for P-series platforms

2017-01-13, 14:37 PM

I never have experienced that error on my P700. Also I just updated the SIO/FP fw to the version in your link and it went on flawlessly.

But I am willing to help out if the log generated on my system still would be of any help.

Let me know.

Edit: My BIOS level is at A5KT76AUS

Options

27 Posts

05-24-2016

Australia

67 Signins

495 Page Views

• Views: 495
  • Message 3 of 11

Re: Feedback request - SIO and Front Panel Firmware update for P-series platforms

2017-01-21, 12:54 PM

Hello psturtle,

Yes, I have this problem with a P900.

I noticed there is an 'updated' version of the firmware dated 18/01/2017.  I was not amused to find this one failed because the current and new firmware versions are the same.

So I still seem to have the problem, and the latest fix doesn't work either.

The machine is currently out on loan, making it difficult (but not impossible) to test fixes.

Is this any help? In case it's relevant, the machine is running on BIOS level 93.

Paul

Options

5 Posts

09-07-2017

France

8 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 4 of 11

2017-09-07, 15:46 PM

Hello,

Still unable to update the SIO and Front Panel Firmware of my P-500.

And the USB front panel ports are inoperant and the card reader as well. This happened just after the windows anniversary update. Previously everything was working okay.

Could you please fix this issue (annoyance) ?

Regards.

Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2017-09-11, 17:03 PM

The integrated card reader is really completely separate from the FW update that is referenced by this thread.  Based on the image you provided and the fact that you say your card reader is not working, are you sure the front panel cabling is connected correctly to the motherboard in your system?  Double check to make sure the connector for "F_MAIN" and "F_USB" are connected correctly.

The error message shown in your image is indicating that the software update can't communicate with the front panel.

If everything is connected OK, you might want to check device manager and see if there are any devices showing issues there (such as a USB3 controller) and/or reinstall the correct drivers.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

09-07-2017

France

8 Signins

76 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2017-09-12, 14:59 PM

Hello psuturtle,

As I said before, everything was okay before the anniversary update.

Devices are working well when connected to the rear ports as you can see in the inclosed report.

As soon as I try to use the front ports, device doesn't start (mouse lights up briefly for example).

And when we insert an sdcard, we can see a brief flash of the sdcard icon on the front panel but the card  doesn't mount inside windows.

Hope these indications will help to find a solution to this issue.

Regards.

Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2017-09-12, 19:22 PM

If everything was working correctly prior to the anniversary update, have you tried rolling back the update to see if the problem goes away?

Also, you've not provided much background, but the following info would be helpful:

- Which OS are you using?

- What USB devices are you trying to use that aren't working in the front ports, and do those same devices work in the rear ports (both USB3 and USB2)?

- Has your system ever been serviced?

Your symptoms aren't really making sense here.  I don't think there's a general issue with the anniversary update breaking the front panel...otherwise the forum would likely be full of people reporting similar problems on P500/700/900/510/710/910.  We've seen this happen before with other MS updates.

The front panel is essentially isolated from the rear ports.  The front USB3 ports operate through an integrated hub.  The integrated card reader is on a completely separate bus (USB2) from the front USB3 ports.

Again, I'd start by ruling hardware connections out first.  Check the cable connections for F_MAIN and F_USB to ensure they are correct.  For F_MAIN, make certain none of the pins are bent or mangled, and make sure the connector is aligned properly (i.e. not missing any pin connections).  The F_USB connection is pretty straightforward, but reseat it just to be sure.

If the connections are right, then I'd start looking at drivers and/or software.  The biggest clue to your issues, at least in my opinion, is the fact that the front hub doesn't seem to be responding when you attempt to run the FW update (even though I don't think the SIO + front panel FW update has anything to do with the port failures you're reporting).  That points to some sort of communication problem, which is why I think you need to address physical connections and drivers first.

Options

5 Posts

09-07-2017

France

8 Signins

76 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2017-09-25, 15:33 PM

- 14 / 23 (front main and usb3 card reader) single connector checked

- 21 (front usb) checked

- drivers okay

- system never been serviced (2nd time I opened the machine)

- can't rolling back the machine (only unique production machine)

should the machine be serviced ?

Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2017-09-25, 16:57 PM

Yes, I think in this case a call to have the machine serviced is the correct path.  My belief is that you have a driver issue going on based on your various symptoms, and that it's likely something with the chipset and/or USB drivers.  While it's possible the SIO and front panel firmware needs to be updated to bring it up to the latest level, I don't think the FW is the root cause of your issues.

Options

5 Posts

09-07-2017

France

8 Signins

76 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2017-09-26, 11:37 AM

and yet ... :-\

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms