Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 11 (2,139 Views)

Help! P500 not booting

[ Edited ]

This is my last resort as support is closed till Monday.

I've put my Thinkstation p500 into sleep from windows and couple of hours later it didn't resume/start.

Upon pressing the power button:

power button LED lights up

headphone jack LED lights up

dvd drive LED lights up

PSU green LED on, red led off

fans go to high speed and then quiet.

Keyboard lights do not blink.

After that I get no activity at all. No beeps, nothing on display, the fans are on and the power and headphone LEDs are on. The HDD LED stays off, not a blink.

What I tried -

Plug in my phone into the diagnostics USB with lenovo diagnostics on the phone and power cycle the thinkstation - nothing.

Remove RAM, gfx card, all sata cables - exactly the same behavior, leds come on but no activity.

Connect system SSD to my laptop via usb-sata (gets detected as a disk dive and seems to work fine)

Any ideas?

Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 11 (2,101 Views)

Re: Help! P500 not booting

So after the first attempt to resume from sleep (S3), the system essentially hung from what I understand.  Did you next attempt to power the system off and back on again?  If so, did it boot/POST correctly, or is it still hanging?

Unless the front panel is indicating an error condition (i.e. the orange diagnostic LED is on solid or blinking and the USB service port with the wrench icon is also blinking), then plugging your phone with the diag app into the front panel isn't going to do anything.  The system must be in the error mode for that to work.

It sounds like your system is not making it through POST at all at this point, so you were probably on the right track with starting to remove components.  You mentioned you removed the graphics, all drives, and the memory and you got "exactly the same behavior".  Meaning you didn't hear any POST code beeps when trying to power on?  Removing the memory should have induced an early failure in POST that should have resulted in a specfiic beep code sequence (4 long beeps as I recall) shortly after you powered the system on.  If you didn't hear that, then the system is becoming unresponsive extremely early in POST.  This would likely warrant a service call if it is the case.

What you could try:

1.  Unplug AC power for 60 seconds, then replug and see if system powers on normally

2.  Attempt the clear CMOS procedure found here.  The clear CMOS jumper on P500 is labeled JP4 (closest to the PCH heatsink).

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 11 (2,086 Views)

Thank you for your reply, not sure if the system was hanging or whether it was already crippled, it appeared powered on but no response. So I powered off by holding the power button and the system wouldn't boot.

Tried unplugging from mains, including holding down the power button for 10 secs.

I've tried the CMOS reset and didn't get any beeps afterwards.

I can confirm there are no beeps with all the memory out.

Thinkstation is in warranty until the end of 2017 so I guess I'll have to wait for an engineer to have a look at it.

Many thanks for trying to help

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 11 (2,069 Views)

Well, I don't know what the hell caused the problem but out of desperation I pulled the cmos battery and powered on with the jumper in the cmos reset position. Got the warning led an beeps this time.

The system then cheered up and it seems to be up and running fine. I can do some work now =)

SCSI Port
Message 5 of 11 (1,432 Views)

Didnt feel like making a new topic on this so maybe some gurus can help me out.  Similar issue to OP, except mine does almost nothing.  I turned off my thinkstation P500 the other day and now, I only get a green light on the power switch.

Green power light on to PSU

No USB front panel lights

Pressing the power button does nothing.  Holding it does nothing.  Clearing the cmos as best I can does nothing-- if I leave both pins in the 1-2 position, the green power button light comes on.  If I move both pins to the 2-3 position, nothing at all (no lights).  Taking out cmos battery does nothing.  Removing ram, all hdds, all add-in cards, same issue.

No beeps, no fans, nothing turns on at any time.  Whole machine stays off and the power button light stays solid on green.

Strange issue, but then again, I only seem to bring the strange ones to the forum!  Anyone have any ideas what to check otherwise I have to swap all my stuff over to another P500 and hope that support can turn this machine.

Lenovo Staff
Message 6 of 11 (1,420 Views)

@duckyP

Is the statement about holding the power button not having any effect true?  You should still be able to force the system to power down by holding the power button for 4 seconds (or so).  If that's not working, then you have something else entirely going on with your system as that function is basically hardwired to the chipset as I recall.

Any chance the system is throwing a diagnostic code?  Do you have a blinking/solid amber triangle LED on the front panel?

Based on the steps you've tried, I'm going to assume you've removed AC power for some period of time and then reattached AC power and still see the problem.

SCSI Port
Message 7 of 11 (1,396 Views)

hi psuturtle,

Yep, tis true sadly-- holding the power button for however long doesnt seem to make an effect.  My P500 is set to auto-start when the power cable is connected so disconnecting everything, pressing the power button a few times to discharge the capacitors, and connecting it up should have the machine booting up.  Nope, just a solid green light on the power button led, nothing else turns on (well, there is a solid green light on the psu as well).  Swapped PSU with another working P500 and same result.

Holding the power button doesnt seem to make the machine do anything either.  And since it doesnt boot, no fans even, I dont have any codes to pull and no other lights on the front panel aside from the solid green power button led.  I tried clearing the bios, and hopefully I did it right this time:

Disconnect everthing

Put jumpers J2 and J4 from 1-2 position to 2-3 position

Attach AC cord and this time there is no led light on the power button, press power button a few times, then disconnect AC cord

Reset jumpers back to position 1-2, connect up AC cord, and press power button again -- power button stays lit solid green but no response from machine

Repeat whole process again but removed the cmos battery as well-- no response.

Has me stumped on this one :/

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Message 8 of 11 (1,389 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the 4 second override is not responding, then something is fairly seriously out of whack.  I don't often say stuff like this, but based on the info presented I think this one warrants a service call for a possible motherboard replacement.  The chipset is not responding to what should be a very low level command.  And since you're seeing the same symptom with another power supply, I think that points squarely at the board.

Also, moving JP2 is not recommended.  That is a jumper for a hardware CMOS clear.  You only want to use JP4 to attempt to clear CMOS, which is a GPIO driven CMOS clear procedure.

SCSI Port
Message 9 of 11 (1,382 Views)

Thanks for confirming the potential bad news... well good news too as I can get some direction.  Before I try to service this by the professionals, is there anything else that you can recommend I try?  Based on your input, Ill try the correct bios reset via JP4 only (and Ill read the manual), and possibly try again with all things removed (even ram stick) to see if it can boot.  Thats an easy and quick check at least.  Thanks again!!!

Lenovo Staff
Message 10 of 11 (1,376 Views)

About the only other thing I can think of would be to do a boot block recovery of system BIOS using the DVD/CD ISO method.  However I'm not sure your board is booting into POST far enough to even get to that part of the code to allow it to work.  It's certainly worth a shot though if nothing else is working.  

Let me know if you need details on how to perform a boot block recovery.

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count