Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-20-2018

Australia

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 1 of 8

Lenovo D30 5354 Kernal power 41 Unexpected shutdown

2021-08-19, 3:32 AM

As the title states, I have a Lenovo d30 5354. It is an absolute powerhouse of a machine which I have become very attached to. I have gone and upgraded a few of the components, mainly GPUs, which has pushed me outside of what is "Validated" for these older machines.

My Hardware list is attached:

-Ram 32GB PC3 ECC that came standard with machine

-SSDs

- 500GB Samsung 870evo

- 2TB Samsung870evo

- 2x 240GB SSD (Raid 0) Through bios

- 300GB HDD (HyperV images)

The issues with the system is that intermittently, it seems to be linked to no particular behavior of the system, the machine will power cycle. It will shutdown with no warning or noticeable indicators. Then will immediately restart as per BIOS policy of power recovery. 

I have checked through Windows reliability history as well as through the Event viewer and cannot find any particular issues which would indicate that this machine has a failing component.

I originally though it was temp related. As the two GPUs in the system are not validated for this model. As well as pushing the machine close to the power budget under full load. However, I have run stress tests using IDA64 and fur-mark on both GPUs and the system seems to be extremely stable under full load. All fans operate as intended and while things to get rather thermonuclear, everything is within spec.

I have noticed that Reliability history is looking like an absolute bloodbath recently. I attribute this mainly to the almost daily crashes. I have attached a image below:

Below are Two snapshots of the above highlighted crash in the event viewer from the "System" list under Windows logs:

The reliability history indicates that there is something going on, as there are program crashes. These crashes occur during times of system instability. The 8 day period with no instability was when I jacked the power plan up to "High Performance" and only seemed to go back to instability when "Balanced" was re-checked. Though this could be a coincidence.
Similarly, it is never the same program that crashes more than once. And i have never had these crash in front of me. This has all happened when either i have in a conference call with colleges or the machine is completely idle. Never has the machine crashed from what I deem a full load state.

Some instance s have been that I will get up in the morning to find the machine has restarted and that all work that was sitting idle overnight has been lost.

I am at a loss as to what is causing this. Any help is appreciated.

Options

4691 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4715 Signins

54117 Page Views

• Views: 54117
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Lenovo D30 5354 Kernal power 41 Unexpected shutdown

2021-08-19, 7:52 AM

What version of Windows are you running?

I presume you have updated all your drivers to the latest, but if not that would be a good first step.    Often a system will crash when entering or resuming from sleep due to driver issues, so if you system is configured to go to sleep, try disabling sleep mode for a while and see if the crashes stop.

Have you checked to see if it is Blue Screening?    The presence of minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidump or a full memory dump C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP created at or near the times the system is crashing might give you some insight.    There is a free utility from Resplendence called WhoCrashed that will examine mindump files, and may be able to provide a clue to what is causing the problem if the system is indeed Bluescreening.    

WhoCrashed

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

WhoCrashed 6.70 Download link

https://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

If WhoCrashed does not provide any insight, then zip up the .dmp files and attach them to a reply, or upload to OneDrive etc. and post a link.

Regards,

Options

10 Posts

02-20-2018

Australia

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-08-19, 8:50 AM

Thanks for the insight,

that is a very handy tool to know about. Unfortunately it didn't shed any more light on the situation.

I can't believe that I didn't mention that I am running,

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎23/‎01/‎2021
OS build    19043.1165
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Though I have been experiencing this issue before updating to this particular version.

The program that you mentioned did return one result for the system. Though I checked it against reliability history and the event viewer. Neither mentioned that a crash took place on this particular date or time.

I have in the meantime, set the system back to high performance mode to attempt to verify if that was a source of stability. I will keep the thread posted about what I find.

It seems to me that the system is unable to collect any crash data as the system is suddenly shutdown. There have been situations where it has completely bound. Frozen completely as if no-one is home and I have to hold the power button to make sure that it shuts-down. However, the majority are a complete snap restart. As if someone has flicked the switch at the wall.

I am hoping that this is not hardware related. It seems strange to me that the system would power-cycle like this at an idle state or some arbitrary moment if there was a hardware fault. Surely, higher loads would encourage system failure?

EDIT:

For those who are looking at this thread and can't be bothered googling the error. The error reported with "WIN32K_CRITICAL_FAILURE_LIVEDUMP" is that the 0x1 : REGION_VALIDATION_FAILURE - Region is out of surface bounds.

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Views: 51545
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-08-24, 19:04 PM

I agree with JDGillis in that you should probably first be focusing on drivers.  Dual 1080 cards, though not officially supported, shouldn't tax a D30 system too much to the point that it would induce a HW driven failure.  And given the fact that you seem to indicate the crashing is happening at odd times (i.e. not under full load), leads me to believe the issue is not power related (such as over-current) or thermal related.  Thermally the GPU will throttle to try to keep things in the functional range, so you would hear the fans going nuts to try to compensate typically before you'd get to a point where the GPU thermally trips (92C I think for that GPU if memory serves...but it's been a while).

If you have another GPU on hand to test with, preferably something NOT from the GeForce line :), that would be another good validation point.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

10 Posts

02-20-2018

Australia

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-08-24, 23:43 PM

As always thank you for your insights PSTurtle. I have gone and used the Lenovo tools to run a hardware scan on my computer (tin foil hat aside). The utility found a few items to update drivers on so we will see if that has any effect.

I have also been testing a running theory of mine in the background. I have found a connection between using the "High performance mode" in windows power settings, and the snap restarts that i have been experiencing. Without making any changes  to hardware, and forgiving the usual windows store apps instability. I have not had a windows snap restart crash in 6 days.

I began to notice that there was an issue with the "Balanced performance mode" and that the system was more stable under high load. Which i wondered might have something to do with how the system was handing low power state. As it turns out, my hypothesis might hold water. With the system in high power mode, I have six days of uninterrupted operation. Complete with long overnight idle states.

Obviously this mode is terribly inefficient, and the memory fan noise is close to unbearable at times, but seems to have addressed the issue with stability. I have already changed the PCIe link power state in the balanced power mode, and found that made no change to the crashes. So I'm now wondering if it is something to do with power state management on other components.

As always sage wisdom is appreciated. But this just got more interesting.

I will try a different GPU, i have an old 980 sitting around as well as a vega 64. So i can try those. But it will take a few days to test high and low power mode reliability.

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-08-27, 18:53 PM

Have you confirmed the type of system crash yet?  Everything I'm reading here points to an OS or driver level failure so far.  I would expect there to be something showing up as a memory dump file if the system is blue screening (as JDGillis mentioned).

I'm following up on what exactly might get changed with the different power plan settings (balanced vs. high power), but my hunch is that might be a red herring.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

10 Posts

02-20-2018

Australia

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-08-31, 0:29 AM

Good Morning Psuturtle,

I have been testing my theory of HIGH vs Balanced modes over the last couple of days. I definitely don't feel that this is a red herring event. I don't think i was very clear in explaining the events leading to the crash and the events afterwards.It is my understanding that if a kernel level, operation in the OS encounters an error. Then KeBugCheck is called for a BSOD. This would mean that either a kernel or kernel space error is crashing the system. With either a lock up or some sort of Blue screen denoting the error as well as appropriate error messages being included in the dump files and event viewer. None of this is present on the system. Instead, the crash does not have any BSOD associated. The computer will power cycle as if someone has just turned the power at the wall off and on again. Likewise, i have no error logs and no MEMORY.DMP file being generated with meaningful errors. This is because the kernel never gets to call KeBugCheck.

The computer is power-cycling before t he operating system knows what is happening. Hence error 41, unexpected shutdown. What has me confused, is that if i am in high performance mode, i am not experiencing the shutdowns. Where as, if i switch back to balanced. I am able to witness a failure in a matter of hours. Timing seems relatively consistent too, with 3 - 5 hrs of uptime causing a crash. All of this would lead me to believe that some sort of hardware based error is being caused by power state. What is confusing is that usually a high power state leads to quicker failure in the majority of machines, where mine is not.

I would also think that high power state is reducing system stability by testing heavy loads. However, this seems to increase system stability. All of this is very confusing. I am now wondering if there is an issue with the processors as clock frequency may be a factor. or if voltages being supplied is also a factor. However, i am unsure on how to safely proceed with these checks on this system.

If you have any insights as to what is the problem. I will continue to run the system in high power state. I am also going to reinstall graphics drivers, and windows and Lenovo are convinced that everything else is up to date on the system. Thank you for your continued support.

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-08-31, 20:16 PM

Do you have more specific details on the 1080 cards being used?  Also which slots are they installed to within the system?

The symptom of your failure doesn't really point to a power problem in what I could consider the traditional sense.  Usually over-current conditions will resort in the power supply latching up and shutting down as a protection method.  When that happens, AC power usually needs to be removed from the system to allow the power supply to properly reset before it'll power on again.  Your symptom seems to be describing a rather simple unexpected reboot, so I'm not sure it's hitting an over-current problem.

It's been a while since I've seen a system encounter over-power problems in the field, so I don't recall off the top of my head exactly how the system would behave.  I think it follows the path of the over-current condition I described above, but just not certain.  At any rate, D30 will run up to its 1120W rating, and likely even beyond that threshold under certain conditions (i.e. there's no steadfast trigger that the PSU will shut down or reset when the output goes >1120W....there's some buffer there).  Based on the config, I don't think you're getting to an over-power condition either.

From the HW side, thermal could still be in play.  So the details on the card arrangements might help.  I've also asked our performance team about what changes with balance vs. performance mode on these systems, but haven't gotten a response yet.  Being D30...that's going back quite a few years.

There's certainly a lot of data that is contrary to what I would normally think when trying to debug something like this.  So it's a bit of a head scratcher.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms