12-26-2019

US

14 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ThinkStation S30 OS Optimized Defaults caused Missing SATA Drive

2019-12-26, 23:54 PM

I tried to reset my ThinkStation S30 to deault. Now my sata drives are missing. 

I can only see them in under SCU, not sure what that is. I'm not running RAID.

My DVD show up on boot, but unable to load the disk for installation.

Currently i have:

1 DVD

1 SSD

1 Mechanical drive

Any help would be appriciated.

Thank you

PS: I have a pretty good feeling it's the BIOS. This bios is more complicated than i'm used to.

Solved! See the solution
Options

7 Posts

12-26-2019

US

14 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkStation S30 OS Optimized Defaults caused Missing SATA Drive

2019-12-28, 1:08 AM

Got it fix:

First of all, when you have been faced with Error 1962: No Operating System Found, press and hold the key combination of Ctrl + Alt + Delete. This will reboot your system.

1. In order to enter the BIOS setup, press the F12 several times in a row.
  2. A little box will appear on your screen and you will see the word Setup written in it. Hit Enter.
  3. At the top of the screen select the Startup tab.
  4. After this, go ahead and select CSM and hit Now select the Enabled option.
  5. Go down a little and locate Boot Priority, after which hit Enter. Now change the current option of Legacy First to UEFI First.
  6. Finally, press the F10 key and choose YES. With this you will have completed the steps to resolving ERROR 1962: No Operating System Found and should no longer be present, when you switch your computer on.
Options

4830 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3528 Signins

49320 Page Views

• Views: 49320
  • Message 3 of 7

2019-12-30, 3:35 AM

Glad you got the issue resolved, but just for clarity for anybody else that might eventually run across this thread, I wanted to note that there could be a myriad of issues that causes a system to display a 1962: No OS found error.  I'm guessing in your case you managed to somehow load BIOS defaults (either within BIOS or by resetting CMOS), and that reset the boot mode to legacy when your OS image was actually UEFI.  The steps you described will help get the system to boot in UEFI mode in that case.

Additionally...

- Hitting F1 during POST will get you directly into BIOS setup (saves a step :)).

- You could also change OS Optimized defualts (in the exit menu within BIOS setup) to enabled.  This will set BIOS into full UEFI mode with a single setting change and take care of the rest of the settings as needed.  This is typically how we would have shipped a system that had UEFI enabled by default from the factory.

- This only applies to the "newer" S30 platforms (machine types 4351 and 4352) as these were the only S30 platforms to fully support UEFI.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

7 Posts

12-26-2019

US

14 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-12-30, 3:43 AM
Thank you for the reply. I was able to get past the error. I'm still trying to find my SATA drive. No matter what tried in BIOS, My drive still missing. When I got it everything was fine until I reset the BIOS to default. During BIOS Post I can see the drive saying non- raid.

Any help would be apptreciated

Options

4830 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3528 Signins

49320 Page Views

• Views: 49320
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-12-30, 4:00 AM

What machine type is your S30 system?

Have you changed any of the cable connections for the drive(s) in question?

Which drive was your boot drive before you started having issues?  Were there any significant changes made to that drive (such as attempting to reinstall the OS, etc.)?

SCU is the Intel storage controller unit that is part of the chipset.  If your drive(s) are showing under SCU, then they are likely connected to the blue SATA ports on the motherboard.  These ports can certainly support booting to SATA devices, but you'll need to make sure the image is loading the proper (Intel RSTe) driver in order to do so.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

12-26-2019

US

14 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-12-30, 23:38 PM
Thank You. That clears up a few things.
I moved SSD to Red Port and Drive to Orange. Now I can see the volume on windows install page. But my total drive is only 906.2 GB. What happen to the rest. 1 drive 2TB - 1 450 GB.
Options

7 Posts

12-26-2019

US

14 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-12-30, 23:52 PM
Yes, the delight when problem solved.
I just went back to Bios and change SATA Configuration from RAID to SATA, reboot, now both drive show separately. Thanks psuturtle
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms