Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

07-11-2021

Australia

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 16

Lenovo p500 blue screen can't boot

2021-07-18, 12:51 PM

Hi I had some issues with my machine earlier in the week, in other posts, which I resolved.

I since tried to set up a RAID 0 with 2 standard HDD (D:) and Windows 10 on an SSD (C:) as ta seperate boot disk strictly following the Lenovo guide. This all seemed to work, however, I cannot now get the machine to boot. I encounter what I believe is called the Blue screen of death with a message saying Inaccessible Boot Device. 

I can boot the machine with a recovery USB drive and with a Lenovo diagnostic USB (after changing the BIOS to disable secure boot). The diagnostics are all fine. I cannot boot in safe mode or get to recovery mode. I can get to the Trouble shooting section and have tried various options including cmd prompts like chkdsk but it only sees the attached USB, no other drives. On the trouble shooting screen the box option to restart in safe mode is not there.

I have backups of my files and after many attempts, decided to simply reinstall Windows and start again, however, the USB install either doesn't see my SSD drive, or sees it as an external EFI formatted drive.  I also cannot restore a backup system image from an external disk as I get a message saying it was created using BIOS. The machine is now set to UEFI as per the RAID setup instructions (although when I first received it a few weeks ago and I first installed Windows, it was set up to use UEFI)

I am pretty unfamiliar with Windows (although after all the research to get it going, more familiar than I would like to be) so please forgive any vague use of terms and for causing my own problems. One thing I am imagining might be a problem is when everything was working well, I moved all the key folders to my D: drive (using the properties panel as recommended) rather than have all the files clutter up the small SSD boot drive. In a Mac this can cause permission problems if there are not similarly named folders on the startup - but it seems those folder were still there, but with generic style folders. 

Essentially, it seems like Windows is not seeing the boot SSD at all and even the recovery USB doesn't (or the discs in the RAID array - the Lenovo diagnostic USB sees both correctly however). It has me gradually pulling my hair out - and especially as it won't simply just reinstall the OS which would be the simple, although nuclear, answer.

Any help, very gratefully received. 

Cheers

Answer
Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Views: 51380

Re:Lenovo p500 blue screen can't boot

2021-07-19, 19:58 PM

I think you're both on the right track here.

The problem likely stems from the fact that your original boot drive was connected to sSATA when it was configured as AHCI.  You then switched that setting to RAID in order to connect the other two drives and configure them in RAID (which is normal).  The problem is your boot drive is now connected to the Intel sSATA controller with it set up in RAID mode, and it's likely not able to load the correct driver and boot to the existing image/partition.

A simpler solution for this might be to try connecting your boot drive to SATA5, SATA6, or the eSATA connector.  If I remember correctly, those ports are routed to the regular SATA side of the controller, and the existing non-RAID AHCI driver that your current image is likely using might work cleanly when connected to those ports.  

Otherwise, the ways to move forward would be to inject the proper sSATA RAID driver to your existing image, or reinstall the OS and provide the proper RAID driver for the controller you're using.  I believe the good news with this is all the Intel RAID drivers you need (SATA, RAID, etc.) should be included in the Intel RSTe package for the platform (choose the correct F6 driver for your needs).  So it should just be a matter of getting the system to pick up the correct one or manually pointing the installer to the right one.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(15)
Options

102 Posts

01-04-2021

Russian Federation

83 Signins

855 Page Views

• Views: 855
  • Message 2 of 16

2021-07-18, 13:36 PM

For Windows 10 to see your RAID on boot from install/recovery media you need to inject appropriate RAID drivers into Windows image file BEFORE creating bootable device on its base.

Check procedure here:

How to Inject Drivers into a Windows 10 WIM/ISO Install Image? | Windows OS Hub (woshub.com)

Options

102 Posts

01-04-2021

Russian Federation

83 Signins

855 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2021-07-18, 13:39 PM

This is your case:

" If you need to add drivers to a Windows boot image (from which the computer boots when you install Windows), you need to add drivers to the Boot.wim file. This is usually necessary when installing Windows, the computer doesn’t detect local hard drives or doesn’t connect to LAN. Usually, only drivers of disk controllers and network adapters need to be integrated into the boot.wim image."

Options

15 Posts

07-11-2021

Australia

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2021-07-18, 13:48 PM

Hi Cromanin

Thanks for your quick reply and that looks like a very likely answer. It is very later here in Australia now so I will get a chance to try this tomorrow and report back. It looks a bit complicated, not sure what drivers I need but will read the documents and follow. 

Thanks again

cheers

S

Options

15 Posts

07-11-2021

Australia

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2021-07-19, 0:18 AM

Hi, I have reviewed the links you sent, thank you,  but will need to reset up another PC to create a USB and run through all the steps (which look pretty complicated and may take me some days). Before I do - just to clarify -

Windows 10  was already installed on the SSD boot, so it has all the drivers already (and the whole operating system), but I can't access the boot volume. The RAID was setup just for files. Do you mean I need to install the drivers on the RAID array as well? (and wouldn't these be automatically installed by the operating system when setting up the RAID?) Or, do you mean I should reinstall them on the SSD boot volume? (the most recent ones would already be there, so not sure why they aren't working.)

I can find drivers on the Lenovo site for the P500 but they are for Windows 8.1 and an ISO image - would these be the correct ones to use?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Options

102 Posts

01-04-2021

Russian Federation

83 Signins

855 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2021-07-19, 10:34 AM

Ok I may have not read your initial post carefully.

If you boot from dedicated (non-RAID) SSD then it should be definitely visible to OS. And actually looks like it is as you see Windows BSOD and not just BIOS message of missing boot drive.

You can go to BIOS and check if all your disks are visible there; next check what mode set for disks - AHCI, RAID etc. I suppose this should be set to AHCI.

Options

15 Posts

07-11-2021

Australia

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2021-07-19, 12:48 PM

Hi Cromanin,

Thanks again for checking in and helping, greatly appreciate the help. 

Checking my bios I can see all the disks. I can also see them using the Lenovo diagnostic tool start up USB which reports they are all fine as per my first post. I have included some other information below, not really sure what is relevant but these were involved in setting up the RAID.

Under the Intel RSTe sSATA Controller - there is my RAID listed 1.7tb, Normal

and my SSD as:

Non-RAID Physical Disks: Port 0, Toshiba etc. 

other settings:

OS Optimised Defaults is (Enabled)

CSM is Disabled, Boot Mode is UEFI only and both are greyed out and unchangeable. 

PCH sSata Configuration - sSATA controller (Enabled); Configure sSATA as RAID (as per Lenovo RAID set up instructions.)

PCH SATA Configuration - SATA Controller (Enabled); Configure SATA as (AHCI)

I am really a newbie to all this but after a bunch of research I am wondering if the issue is because the SSD was set up with BIOS rather than AHCI. I don't think it was but when I tried to do a restore of a system image as described in my first message from a backup disk, I got a message saying this was impossible as it was set up using BIOS. I am not sure if that meant the backup disk or the Windows system. When I got the machine, it had no operating system on it but was registered with Windows. I installed Windows using a startup USB and it was recognised. I guess it is possible the machine was set to BIOS at the time, but I thought I saw  AHCI as the setting in the BIOS. 

I am wondering if changing the PCH SATA controller to BIOS rather than AHCI would work if the SSD was in fact set up using BIOS but - I am worried that if I did that I might make the situation worse and thing wouldn't boot at all. My start up key is for an AHCI system I believe. 

Thanks 

Options

102 Posts

01-04-2021

Russian Federation

83 Signins

855 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2021-07-19, 15:36 PM

Try to change SATA mode for your boot drive (not RAID) and see if it boots / visible. 
Doubt you can do any harm by that as you can always revert it back in BIOS. 

Answer
Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Views: 51380
  • Message 9 of 16

2021-07-19, 19:58 PM

I think you're both on the right track here.

The problem likely stems from the fact that your original boot drive was connected to sSATA when it was configured as AHCI.  You then switched that setting to RAID in order to connect the other two drives and configure them in RAID (which is normal).  The problem is your boot drive is now connected to the Intel sSATA controller with it set up in RAID mode, and it's likely not able to load the correct driver and boot to the existing image/partition.

A simpler solution for this might be to try connecting your boot drive to SATA5, SATA6, or the eSATA connector.  If I remember correctly, those ports are routed to the regular SATA side of the controller, and the existing non-RAID AHCI driver that your current image is likely using might work cleanly when connected to those ports.  

Otherwise, the ways to move forward would be to inject the proper sSATA RAID driver to your existing image, or reinstall the OS and provide the proper RAID driver for the controller you're using.  I believe the good news with this is all the Intel RAID drivers you need (SATA, RAID, etc.) should be included in the Intel RSTe package for the platform (choose the correct F6 driver for your needs).  So it should just be a matter of getting the system to pick up the correct one or manually pointing the installer to the right one.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

15 Posts

07-11-2021

Australia

8 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2021-07-20, 7:55 AM

Hi thank you both for your help. My unfamiliarity with all this makes it harder and the time zone difference doesn't help.

I will try your suggestions but before I do, I double checked my bios and just want to be clear. 

In the Advanced tab, under the Intel RSTe sSATA Controller the RAID volume is listed  as RAID0. The SSD also is seen and is correctly listed a Non-RAID Physical Disk so the disks seem set up correctly - BUT, I noticed,  it is listed as being Port 0. 

Now in the PCH sSATA Configuration RAID is enabled and 4 ports 1-4 are listed as all enabled.

And the PCH SATA Configuration AHCI is list and 4 Ports 1-4 are listed as enabled.

I thought was I could change AHCI to legacy in the PCH SATA are but the options are only IDE, AHCI or RAID.

But is the problem really that the machine is seeing  the internal SSD disk as on Port 0 (which doesn't seem to exist) - is this the reason it can't be found? If so, is there a way to correct it? It is physically plugged in to the Hard Drive Bays Port 1. 

I hope this makes sense, I am well out of my depth here but that Port 0 thing seems very odd. 

Cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms