Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOS_user
Paper Tape
Views: 366
Message 1 of 6

Maximum HD size for S30 type 569?

I recently acquired a surplus S30 type 569 with a view of 1) using it to process photos, 2) some gaming (nothing demanding) and 3) RAID-1 to store/serve photos.

I am looking at some WD Enterprise 8TB drives (red) and would like to know if this flavour of S30 can handle the drive size in one volume.

These drive won't be used to boot, or house any applications (all that will be done on a SSD).

Is there any necessity to UG any further components?  RAM is 16 GB in 4x4 config, FX3700 GPU card, and E5-1620.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 332
Message 2 of 6

Re: Maximum HD size for S30 type 569?

Though not officially supported (8TB drives weren't really around when S30 was actively getting hardware refreshes/updates), you should be able to use an 8TB HDD in S30 as a data disk.  That version of S30 can support GPT partitioning, which would be required to create a single partition of that size, but it cannot support booting to a GPT partition due to BIOS limitations.  So as long as you're configuring a normal MBR boot disk, Windows should still be able to see the 8TB drive when formatted as GPT. 

Due to the size of the drive, you might want to consider adding the optional HDD fan if your S30 doesn't already have it.  Though I've heard these parts are tough to track down at this point.  The FRU for that part is 03W5468.

As far as other upgrades, that's really up to how much performance you need.  You can bump up the CPU if you want, but you have to stay in the v1/Sandy Bridge family of Xeons.  The GPU would likely be the best upgrade if you plan to do any gaming as that FX3700 is pretty dated.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
DOS_user
Paper Tape
Views: 319
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. Can I use the SCU ports for this? I installed the RST driver as suggested in another thread. As for the fan, where would the HDD fan be placed? Right now, the case has fans at the back, CPU, RAM (x2), and one in the front bottom (for the video card)? For the GPU, does it need to be a workstation GPU or will anything do? I assume I can use a PCIe card as it would seem PCI is obsolete. I do have a GT440 that I can use but it seems to be roughly equivalent. I was thinking an E5-2670 (preferred?) or 2680. imagine due to the slower speed, it will be worthwhile only if there is multitasking (most games don't use more than 2 cores, it seems).
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 294
Message 4 of 6

You should be able to use SCU for this.  But it's important to keep in mind SCU ports are limited to SATA2 speeds.  If you have a red AHCI SATA port available, I'd suggest installing it there if you have no other high speed SATA3 devices to install (such as SATA SSD).  Red AHCI SATA ports support SATA3 speeds.

The HDD fan installs on the rear side of the HDD cage in S30.  It's designed to pull fresh air over the drives from the front of the system.

As for GPU, it doesn't have to be a workstation class GPU to function.  We tend to recommend workstation class GPUs because that's what we officially support and qualify, and they meet the reliability requirements that typically come with workstation customers.  That doesn't mean consumer grade GPUs can't be used as long as the system is able to meet the requirements of the GPU.  I would not recommend any PCI based GPUs based on what you've relayed in terms of use case.  

For CPU, you need to examine your workloads to see whether additional cores or additional clock speed will help improve your performance.  For example if your applications are mainly single threaded, you'll want to avoid a high core count part and instead get something with the highest clock speed you can.  S30 was designed to use E5-16XX parts, so I typically recommend sticking to those.  Some E5-26XX parts are supported as long as you stay at 130W TDP or less....so the 2670 and 2680 would be supported.  Mandatory reminder that with 0569 S30 machine types, you must stick to Sandy Bridge (v1) CPUs as Ivy Bridge would not be supported.  Also keep in mind that with 26XX parts on S30, you're essentially paying for features you cannot use, namely the high speed QPI link used to connect CPUs together.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
DOS_user
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 5 of 6

Thanks once again My particular S30 has the 3 blue SCU ports,and only a pair each of the red and orange. I have the SSD plugged into one of the red ports. I guess I will have to see if it is better to use the data drives, when I get them, in the red ports and SSD in the orange port or not. Can you post a link to a picture of the S30 with a HD fan?. I don't see any reference to a HDD fan in either of the two manuals. Can you refer me to where the power port is? I could probably make one up if i can't find one..
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 208
Message 6 of 6

This should help.  It's basically a 75mm x 15mm 4-wire fan mounted in a plastic housing that snaps onto the rear of the HDD cage.  It's a pull design, so it's pulling fresh air in from the front of the chassis and across the drives.

This fan has to be on the thinner side to avoid interfering with the right-most DIMM slot.

As FRUs for this part seem to be tough to find, you could possibly rig something up with a similarly sized fan using zip ties or something like that if you want to get creative.  For reference, the FRU is 03W5468.

S30 HDD fan.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors