Options

11 Posts

04-04-2020

US

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 5

New P720: Boot time "Warning 071: Abnormal audio diagnostic status (10b)" + Tick-Tick-pause sound

2020-04-28, 18:28 PM

Just received a new P720.  As soon as I plug in a power cord, without powering it on, I get a continuously repetitive audio code coming out of the front speaker.  The code sounds like 

Tick, one second pause, Tick, two and a half second pause; and repeat infinitum.    The pauses are slightly shorter than that.

At boot time, after or as a part of POST on the top left hand of the Lenovo logo screen, I get a "Warning 071:  Abnormal audio diagnostic status (10b)".

A new power supply is not the solution:  I called support yesterday and to make a long story short, in lieu of a full replacement, they suspected the power supply and sent me another 900 Watt supply.   Nope, that didn't solve the problem.   Also, the power supply's LED is solid green.

Any ideas?  What does this 071 warning mean?

As a very low probability outlier, it could be that my house has no ground wiring.  It's an old house and has pre-modern electrical.  {I doubt this could be it because a P500 and four other computers work fine.}

Otherwise, the machine appears to run fine.  It passes all diagnostics, including extended ones.  I've run them several times both from BIOS and from the OS.  

Also, the front headphone jack works fine, and doesn't include the Tick-pause-Tick-longer-Pause sounds.  Nor do the Tick sounds go out over USB audio.  I've not tried the back panel audio but I suspect it is the same.

Disabling the motherboard audio in BIOS doesn't remove the boot warning or the Tick sounds.  The same goes for disabling the front speaker.  No affect.

For now I've unplugged the front speaker and the ticking is gone.  

Options

729 Posts

01-14-2014

US

1934 Signins

13664 Page Views

• Views: 13664
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:New P720: Boot time "Warning 071: Abnormal audio diagnostic status (10b)" + Tick-Tick-pause sound

2020-05-04, 4:02 AM

Usually when you first plug AC power in on the P720 system, you'll get a single high-pitch "tick" sound.  This is completely normally as this should be the audio diagnostics initializing.  

One thing you could try doing to suppress the warning message is to clear CMOS.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-reset-the-BIOS-and-or-password-on-my-ThinkStation/ta-p/542883

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2020

US

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re:New P720: Boot time "Warning 071: Abnormal audio diagnostic status (10b)" + Tick-Tick-pause sound

2020-05-19, 19:39 PM

Thanks but that high pitched beep is welcome and something altogether different than what I'm reporting here.

Before I clear CMOS and lose my RAID and other important CMOS settings, I'm hoping someone will post here something specific about this particular error code, or codes.  Someone must know. 

The audible ticks are clearly an error, warning, or status code of some kind.  At first I was thinking that the audible code was a tamper switch indicator.  But I went into BIOS and tried to reset the tamper switch detection and it wasn't set to begin with.  So that's probably not it either.

Anyone?

Options

4559 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3430 Signins

47965 Page Views

• Views: 47965
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-05-19, 20:08 PM

It might be good to make a video showing the issue you're encountering and try posting it here.  I've found that descriptions of error beep code sequences can be quite subjective, and we really need to understand what info is being conveyed with that to ensure we're heading down the right path.  I would not clear your CMOS yet until we get a better understanding of the issues you're facing first.

Your warning message sounds like it might be some sort of POST error, but it's not one that I've encountered before so it would be good to get a better all around understanding of what your system is doing if we can.  Hopefully a short video will help with that.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

11 Posts

04-04-2020

US

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-05-25, 1:46 AM

Thanks PSTurtle

I had disconnected the front speaker and it turned out to be more difficult to reconnect it than I thought it would be.  Apologies for not providing the video at this time.  Anyway, the most informative part of the video would be the audio made by the speaker, which is not connected at present.   Otherwise the visible part of the video would show plain text at the end of POST / BIOS just before passing the baton to Windows or Linux reading "Warning 071:  Abnormal audio diagnostic status (10b)" .  

To describe the sound in words, I'd say that if you tapped the sharp part of a fingernail on a desk or piece of wood, that's what it sounds like.  It is a pair of those separated by about 0.85 seconds, followed by just under 2 seconds before it repeats again and again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete