Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 11 of 11

Re: P320 Thinkstation - No display on initial startup

2018-01-04, 19:53 PM

I'm not sure that you take a definite and/or noticeable performance on the entry-level workstation platform just by enabling the IGD as a secondary display, especially if your use case is more of a desktop-type than a workstation-type.   But you'd be safest to use up all the displays that can be driven by the Quadro card first (even if you have to invest in some mini-DP conversion dongles), before you enable the on-board port.

On the laptop side of things, we definitely notice performance degradation when the main display is driven in hybrid mode (i.e. both discrete and integrated GPUs run at same time), but that doesn't necessarily translate into the desktop space.

If you were actually rendering or doing other more traditional workstation use cases, you'd probably want to insure that the application in question was using the Quadro card for hardware accelleration, hence why we default to disabling the IGD as secondary display in the workstation class BIOSes. 

Any performance penalties you do take will likely depend on how much you have going on in that secondary display while you presumably do your other workload on the primary, just displaying the desktop background likely won't have too noticeable an impact, but refreshing web pages, monitoring real time output, or otherwise stressing the IGD likely will slow the system as a whole down, if not the actual workload @ the discrete GPU.

You should definitely experiment and find out what works best for you, and let us know how it works out!

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms