Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CN7
Punch Card
Views: 697
Message 1 of 5

P320 Tiny storage options

From what I've found here (please correct me if I'm wrong), the P320 Tiny supports two NVMe SSD slots (with one being able to support either a M.2 SSD or NVMe SSD).

See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/Thinkstation-P330-Tiny-M-2-Drives/td-p/424263...

My question is, if I remove the graphic card and just use the CPU's onboard graphics, would I be able to install another SSD (SATA, M.2 or NVMe PCIe) in the space where the graphic card is (like in the M910q Tiny)?

TIA.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 666
Message 2 of 5

Re: P320 Tiny storage options

Your first statement is correct.  In P320 Tiny when considering the onboard M.2 slots, there is support for dual M.2 NVMe, with the 2nd M.2 slot being capable of supporting M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe (but not both at at same time in the same slot obviously).

For your question about the discrete GPU, if you order a P320 Tiny configured without the GPU (onboard graphics only), it should come with the bracket and cable assembly to support putting a 2.5" SATA drive in the space normally occupied by the GPU.  If you order the system with the discrete GPU up front, these parts are obviously removed to make way for the GPU.  I do not see an easy path to support removing the GPU in the field and adding in these two additional parts.  As the bracket is kitted with the chassis, I think the only way to do it would be to order the FRU for the entire chassis.

Hope that makes sense.  Let us know if you have other questions.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
CN7
Punch Card
Views: 659
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: now referring to P330 here!

I saw that there was no option for no GPU on the US Lenovo online store site currently that's why I was asking. But there seem to be some on eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153168071016

In any case I'm in Singapore and neither the P320 or the P330 Tiny are available here yet.

So theoretically speaking it would be possible to have 3 NVMe SSDs in the P320/P330? One on a PCIe riser card?

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 637
Message 4 of 5

Yeah for some reason the available US models seem to be restricted to the configs with a discrete GPU right now.  It's probably a planning/complexity/logistic thing.

Theoretically you could add a 3rd M.2 NVMe drive to either of those units as the lanes are there to support it.  However in practice it would be difficult to impossible to do because adding a standard PCIe carrier card to the Tiny chassis is not feasible using off-the-shelf solutions.  In both P330 Tiny and P320 Tiny, the rear IO bracket of the card (normally GPU, but some others as well now with P330 Tiny) actually forms an integral part of the chassis.  So each card we support in that spot needs to have a unique rear IO bracket designed in order to work with Tiny.  This is what would make it so challenging to use a PCIe carrier card as we don't have the "Tiny" rear IO bracket designed for that card.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
CN7
Punch Card
Views: 630
Message 5 of 5

Ah, I see. OK too bad. But thanks for the info and taking time to reply! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors