Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 424
Message 1 of 9

P330 New Secondary M.2 Drive Not Appearing in Disk Manager

I have a P330 (30C5000HUS) and about 2 months ago, I installed a secondary SSD (Samsung V-NAND 970 PRO NVMe M.2) onto Lenovo's "ThinkStation M.2.SSD Adapter-high profile" card, which worked perfectly.

I just upgraded the 512GB SSD above to a 2TB SSD (Samsung V-NAND SSD, 970 EVO NVMe M.2) and when I open Disk Management it doesn't find the drive (even in its uninitialized state), even when I try to refresh.  I didn't have this problem when I installed the 512GB SSD two months ago.  I've reinstalled the 2TB drive, ensuring everything is seated correctly and yet Windows can't find the drive.

Lenovo Employee croooowe
Lenovo Employee
Views: 376
Message 2 of 9

Re: P330 New Secondary M.2 Drive Not Appearing in Disk Manager

You are using Windows 10 Pro for Work Station?

I am not sure if we have that exact drive but I will test this on one of our systems.

jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 329
Message 3 of 9

Windows 10 Pro

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 298
Message 4 of 9

Looking up the MTM 30C5000HUS, I see that the system originally came with a 512GB NVMe M.2 boot drive with Win10 Pro on it. This M.2 drive should be installed in the onboard M.2 slot on the motherboard, correct?

From reading above, you're trying to add a single 2TB M.2 NVMe drive into a PCIe carrier card. I'm assuming you're installing this into PCIe Slot 3, correct?

Have you checked "Device Manager" from within Windows for any yellow bangs after installing the 2TB NVMe device? If no yellow bangs, check the "Disk Device" under "Device Manager" from within Windows to check to see what drives Windows is showing.

If there are no yellow bangs and the 2TB M.2 device isn't showing up anywhere from within "Device Manager", try going back to the 512GB SSD to see if that is still being recognized.
jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 255
Message 5 of 9

Yes, the system came with a 512GB on the motherboard.  As noted in my initial post above, I purchased a Lenovo "ThinkStation M.2.SSD Adapter-high profile" card, where I installed a second 512GB SSD.  But after about 2 months of both drives operating perfectly, I decided to upgrade the M.2 SSD to a 2TB SSD (model numbers provided in my original post).  But the 2TB SSD is not recognized by my PC.  I do not have any yellow bangs anywhere in Device Manager.  Per your request, I have reinstalled the second 512GB SSD into the M.2 card and it IS recognized by the computer.

So either the 2TB SSD is malfunctioning/flawed or the Lenovo P330 (30C5000HUS) does not allow for a secondary drive to be that large. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 218
Message 6 of 9

Let me take a few minutes to set something like this up in the lab. We don't necessarily have those specific 2TB M.2 drives in the lab, but we should have some other 2TB M.2 drives in the lab I can use to look into this further.
jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 215
Message 7 of 9

Thanks!  I also tried putting the 2TB drive on the motherboard in the first slot and moving the original 512G drive to the M.2 card.  The computer booted up using the 512G drive but couldn't find the 2TB drive (even when using Disk Management).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 200
Message 8 of 9

I have a similarly configured system set up in the lab. Granted, I don't have the particuluar 2TB M.2 drive you're calling out above.  But, I am checking this on a Samsung PM981a 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD.  

One thing to check is go into BIOS F1 Setup -> "System Summary" menu on the front page and see if BIOS is detecting your particular M.2 drive.  In my case, you can see both of my M.2 drives here. That is, the onboard 512GB (boot drive) + 2TB drive in the M.2 carrier card. 

test.jpg

If you can see your 2TB M.2 drive show up here in BIOS, I'd recommend  "Secure Erasing" the 2TB drive.  To do so, go into BIOS -> "Security" menu tab along the top -> "Hard Disk Drive Password" menu down toward the bottom -> Enable an M.2 drive password for the M.2 drive (see below screenshot) -> Save and Exit BIOS -> Go back into BIOS setup -> "Security" menu tab -> "Hard Disk Drive Password" menu -> "Security Erase HDD Data" option -> and select the drive to "Secure Erase". 

test1.jpg

If you can't see your 2TB M.2 drive in BIOS "System Summar" tab, then BIOS isn't detecting your M.2 drive.  If that's the case, you can try cleaning the gold fingers of the M.2 drive and reseating the drive into either the carrier card or onboard M.2 slot.  If that still doesn't work, then you likely have a bad M.2 drive. 

Highlighted
jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 144
Message 9 of 9

Thanks.  I discovered in the documentation for the P330, it states the M2 slot has a 1TB maximum capacity (please see attached)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors