Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DAJUICE
Paper Tape
Views: 521
Message 1 of 8

P330 Tiny Discrete Graphics issue (Nvidia OpenGL)

I have a new P330 Tiny with the Nvidia Quadro P620 video card as well as the intel UHD 630.  Running Windows 10 with all the drivers up to date.  

When i run a graphics application - specifically FORM-Z I see that its defaulting to the openGL from Intel and not Nvidia.  I have tried to use the Windows 10 advanced graphics option to set the application to high performance but it does not make any difference.

The Nvidia control panel doesnt show anything in it excep the Managed GPU Utilization screen.  I cannot go to Manage 3D settings. 

Does anyone know how to either get the nvidia control panel to show up properly or ensure that this app is using the right openGL?

Form-z support has so far been slow to respond with the exception that they comply with the Nvidia Optimus workflow which should pick up the right card.

I have already tried doing a full clean install of the nvidia and intel drivers but i always get only this version of the control panel.  I have even tried the latest drivers from nvidia to no avail.

windows 10-2.jpgform-z.jpgwindows 10.JPG

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 497
Message 2 of 8

Re: P330 Tiny Discrete Graphics issue (Nvidia OpenGL)

Are you actually using the onboard graphics?  You could try disabling the onboard graphics in device manager to see if that allows the software to pick up the Nvidia GPU as the primary device.

I'm assuming you haven't changed the video setup option in BIOS at all?  If not, that should default to enumerating the Nvidia GPU as primary during POST.  So I'm surprised the software is reacting in that manner.  The only time I think I've seen that is when Tiny is installed in a TIO (Tiny-in-one) unit, in which case BIOS will make some settings changes in the background to try to accommodate that.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
DAJUICE
Paper Tape
Views: 467
Message 3 of 8

Ok so i remotely connected to the system and disabled the UHD card in windows.  However this actually turns off the output to the monitor on the unit which is pretty useless since the user cannot see the screen.  That being said, while it was disabled i was able to look at the nvidia control panel and test out the software.  It did indeed change to the correct openGL for nvidia and the control panel had a few more options but still missing the 3D settings page.

While the program was open i renabled the UHD 630 card and the monitor came back on at which point the user was able to continue to use Form-z with the nvidia openGL.  Of course as soon as i closed the program and opened it back up we were back to the intel OpenGL.

Im thinking that the UHD card cannot be disabled because its being used to drive the displays.

Here are the screenshots

2019-02-05_12-23-30.jpg2019-02-05_12-24-37.jpg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 463
Message 4 of 8

I probably should have clarified that up front....what display connections are you using for each controller?  It almost sounds like you have your output display(s) connected to the onboard Intel and are trying to dump the workload to the Nvidia GPU.  I'm not readily familiar with the software you're using, but I do think that sort of workflow is software dependent.  If that's accurate, you should try connecting your display(s) to the Nvidia GPU and see if that resolves the issue with Form-Z picking the right controller.

I'll check around to see if I can get some more insight on the software you're running.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
DAJUICE
Paper Tape
Views: 455
Message 5 of 8

Sorry but maybe didntd realize that this is a p330 tiny.  It's all in one box, there are no sepaeate ports for each gpu.  The GPU is built into the unit.  I'm assuming the are using an mxm board inside.

DAJUICE
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 6 of 8

Sorry i have to appologize, I'm actually working remotely and I was just looking at images of the P330 Tiny.  It does appear that it has 4 separate mini display ports which I am assuming are for the Quadro card.  Im having the user try to use one of those ports and see if that will work after disabling the onboard UHD card and report back.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 415
Message 7 of 8

Correct....the 4 miniDP ports are the Nvidia GPU.  The full DP ports are routed to the Intel graphics controller in the CPU.

I'd try attaching the display output to the Nvidia GPU and seeing if that helps resolve the issue.  As far as I know, the software application must be enabled to support directed workload (i.e. moving workload such as rendering off to a specific controller).  I don't know for sure if the SW you're using supports that or not.

DAJUICE
Paper Tape
Views: 413
Message 8 of 8

According for Form-z they do support Nvidia Optimus which supposedly is suppose to direct the workload.  However in this case it may not work the same since the Nvidia GPU is not actually integrated but rather a separate card.  I will report back when we have tested.  Im pretty sure this will resolve the issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors