Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,126
Message 1 of 19

P330 Tiny GPU fan noise

I just got my P330 Tiny and I really had my hopes up, but the GPU (Nvidia Quadro 620) fan noise is driving me nuts! I see people have complained about the CPU fan, but this is certainly not it. The fan noise is coming out of the top of the unit (not the back) and its quite noticeable, although not very loud. Its like a constant hiss. Is this a fauly GPU fan? 

I really like this PC but this may be a deal breaker for me. I have it mounted on the wall just behind my monitor and I can't concentrate with the noise. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,086
Message 2 of 19

Re: P330 Tiny GPU fan noise

Can you possibly post some pics of your system for us?  Specifically I'd like to see the following:

- Inside of the top cover in the area around the perforated/vent section

- The top of your GPU

There have been some tweaks to P330 Tiny in this area to try to resolve some minor acoustic issues.  I'm hopeful these tweaks might help resovle the issue you're seeing.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,081
Message 3 of 19

I’ll post those this afternoon. 

I really don’t need a GPU but in the US there is no option to purchase without. This is quite unfortunate if we won’t be able to fix this. 

Also is it normal for the CPU and GPU to be running at 50-60 degrees C? Seems a bit high for an idle system. 

PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,066
Message 4 of 19

03AC54C6-5BBD-4285-852C-F9C961291458.jpeg

03A497F3-4EE5-44C0-BBBD-6ED81C4BC9CF.jpeg

A6DCC122-4377-4284-BF29-31E12E6B740A.jpeg

F0CD742B-361E-4EC2-AC80-75D8D1E55D5D.jpeg

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,009
Message 5 of 19

From your pictures, it looks like one of the changes might have already been made to your system, which was to remove a mylar sticker that was present on the top hub of the GPU fan.  I'm still confirming details on the other changes, mainly involving the mesh screen on the underside of the top cover.  However in the meantime you can double check to ensure the riser assembly that holds the GPU is inserted fully, especially on the end closest to the GPU fan.  

I'll post back with more detail once I can confirm a few things.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 1,005
Message 6 of 19

OK, thanks. To me it seems like the fan is simply the cause of the noise. Perhaps those GPU fans work like this or I have a faulty fan? The noise is not loud, but it is quite present. Its like a constant hiss that is pronounced at some angles (when my head is facing a particular direction, probably from reflection of sound). Once the PC is powered off, its a big relief on the ears. I think I even hear a slight vibration since yesterday. I'll update when i check the HW.

PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 972
Message 7 of 19

Riser assembly is fine. This is definitely the small GPU fan that's making an annoying hissing sound. If I place my hand on top, of the fan intake hole, the noise is gone.

Could it be an imperfect fan on the GPU? Or is that just how these Quadro's come?

Half the reason for this new PC was to get rid of all the noise of my big tower Smiley Sad

Also, is there anyway to buy the unit without the GPU? Just return the component perhaps?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 946
Message 8 of 19

Apparently this is still a very active subject internally.  It seems there have been some tolerance issues within the manufacturing process that are causing the noise to occur.  There are still several possible solutions/tweaks being considered to try to resolve this problem.  As such, if you wouldn't mind sending me a private message with the serial number of your system, that would be appreciated.  I want to pass that info back to our internal teams that are investigating the problem.

You have a couple of options at this point as to how you'd like to proceed to try to resolve the problem.

1.  On some units, there is a mylar disk on the hub of the GPU fan.  This disk is not needed, and reduces the clearance between the top cover and fan.  This disk can be removed.  However, based on your pics, I believe this mylar is already removed from your GPU.

2.  The mesh on the inside of the top cover could also be removed.  This will also help increase the clearance between the top cover and fan.  However, if you plan on trying to have the unit serviced for this issue, you might want to hold off on that.  I wouldn't want them to possibly deny service because you've altered the system (even at my advice).

3.  You can contact service now about the issue.  I'm not sure what guidance that team currently has with regards to attempting field repairs for this particular problem, but it's certainly possible that they could swap out the GPU (or unit).

4.  Wait things out until a final solution is reached by the team here.  I know there are proposals being evaluated currently, so I don't expect it to take too long for them to settle on a final solution.

5.  If you really don't need the GPU at all, you can simply remove it from the system (or remove it temporarily if you decide to go with option 4).  Your system should have a CPU that supports onboard graphics, so you could still use the system in that way and simply change the port that you currently have your display(s) connected to (the onboard graphics ports are the full size DP and HDMI connectors along the bottom rear edge of the system).  I can give you instructions on how to remove the GPU if you want to go this route as it's pretty easy to do.

PolishPaul
SCSI Port
Views: 943
Message 9 of 19

Thank you for the attentive help.

I would definitely remove the GPU but I don't want to pay for it, i'm sure you understand. Although possible in other countries, it is not possible to order the same unit without a GPU.

Removing the mesh won't help, its simply a hum of the fan spinning. I may have to return the unit. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 928
Message 10 of 19

P330 Tiny systems in North America typically only ship with the discrete GPU installed.  Without the GPU, there's very little to differentiate a P330 Tiny from one of the other Tiny Desktop platforms.....the discrete (Quadro) GPU is what makes this product a workstation.

My assumption was you already had (and paid for) the GPU along with the system.  If you don't need the discrete GPU, then you might want to consider one of the desktop Tiny units instead of the P-series.

I don't necessarily agree that removing the mesh won't help.  The noise (at least the one we've diagnosed on this platform) is a harmonic that is directly affected by the clearance above the fan (and the airflow impedance).  You should be able to confirm this by booting and temporarily running the system without the top cover installed.  I suspect you're not going to hear/notice the same noise that you described in your initial post. 

Typically the GPU fan is pretty quiet at idle.  But every person has a different opinion of what constitutes a "quiet" fan or system.  But it's a spinning fan, so some noise is going to be generated regardless. My guess is it's likely worse with the top cover on rather than off due to the issue I described.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors