SG

3 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 7

P340 Tiny availability anyone?

2020-05-10, 7:25 AM

Dear Community,

I'm very new to the ThinkStation universe. My first post so please be kind :)

Due to COVID-19 I've decided to ditch my laptop for a reliable workstation -- thus set my eyes on the P330 Tiny!

With Intel's 10th gen just released, plus existing models with 8th gen on the offer, I'm led to wonder whether the P340 Tiny is just around the corner.  I'm most definitely able to wait a couple of months.  So that I don't end up with a 2 years ageing processor going into the post-COVID world (Singapore doesn't sell 9th gen!)

Any idea when P340 Tiny is coming out?

add-on edit: 

Any real world performance difference between T and non-T processors other than wattage when idle?

TIA!

Options

784 Posts

01-14-2014

US

1958 Signins

13909 Page Views

• Views: 13909
  • Message 2 of 7

P340 Tiny availability anyone?

2020-05-11, 13:39 PM
I'm not sure I can give you a lot of details here on the P330 Tiny follow-on (i.e., P340 Tiny), but we are planning on coming out with one later this year. As for the performance between the T vs non-T processors, I don't think there would be a performance difference, but I'll likely have to defer to our internal benchmark team for more precise answers on performance differences.
Options

3 Posts

05-10-2020

SG

3 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:P340 Tiny availability anyone?

2020-05-11, 14:04 PM

Yes that is music to my ears! Thank you!

Options

16 Posts

04-23-2015

US

41 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-05-11, 18:40 PM

Let me expand on the performance differences between the "T" series CPUs and the non "T" series.  Yes, there is a performance impact, and in some cases it can be significant.  I pulled some data from a common benchmark called Passmark comparing an i7-9700 to an i7-9700T, see the image below.

The green box below shows the difference in CPU frequencies (this is a direct result of the power differences (35W vs 65W).  What they show as Clockspeed below is the base frequency of the CPU, which in most circumstances is the minimum CPU frequency if all of the CPU cores are working at 100%.  Turbo speed is, of course, the best speed you will see if only one CPU core is working.  So for this example the i7-9700 has a base freq of 3.0 GHz and a Turbo of 4.7, while the "T" version has a base of 2.0 GHz and a Turbo of 4.3 GHz.  

These differences are what is driving the performance score differences toward the bottom of the image.  Single thread rating scores are shown in the red box, and the overall CPUMark score (which included the single threaded score plus a bunch of multi-threaded tests) is shown in the blue box.   Clearly the non "T" processor outperforms based on this benchmark.  

Options

3 Posts

05-10-2020

SG

3 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-05-13, 3:10 AM

Very informative post thank you. I'm really impressed with the quality of posts here!

The 30% difference is significant in my opinion, even sounds like the kind of performance jumps between i3 > i5 > i7. 

Based on this point, please may I bring out 2 further points for discussion:

1) Your post led me to question whether a T i7 variant would perform similar to a non-T i5? So I went to Passmark and found the following:

Finding: i7-9700T is marginally (+6%) better than the i5-9500.

I further found that for some reasons, the 9th gen i7 no longer have Hyper Threading. (I have been living under a rock for the past few years I know!) Thus now it seems there are not much significant differences between the two processors above.  My use case is mostly for running Excel. Not a gamer. And if this Covid thing goes on longer, I probably would be able to find some time to venture into testing VMs/Linux. Which lead me to....

Question 1: Would you go for the i5 or i7 in this case? Regardless of processor type, I am planning to up the RAM to 16GB. Would it be the correct way to think in terms of i5+32GB vs i7+16GB here?

2) From Userbenchmark, I see that a lot of custom builds built on such powerful i7's are mostly built on standard sized motherboards (gleaned from their accompanying graphic card selections). Therefore,

Question 2: Considering the hot and humid Singapore weather, does anyone know/have experience whether the Tiny ThinkStation is able to be thermally efficient in a small casing, as compared to a standard sized case? I'm really drawn to the mountable setup due to my room size. Really appreciate if anyone with similar experience could share your insights! :)

Options

16 Posts

04-23-2015

US

41 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-05-13, 20:15 PM

If you want to add a discrete video card to your P330 Tiny (i.e. the NVIDIA P620 or P1000) you MUST use the "T" version of the CPU due to power and thermal limits in the chassis design.  If you are planning to only use Intel integrated on-board video and no discrete video card, then there is no reason to use the "T" version of the CPU from a performance standpoint.  So pick the highest CPU that your budget will allow.

The memory question is trickier to answer and is really not dependent on which CPU you choose.  Memory should be selected such that you can fit all of your applications in memory and still have available memory left over to spare.  There is no easy way to predict how much you need, so what I usually recommend is to use the Windows Task Manager, and launch every application you plan to run at one time.  If you click on the Memory chart in Task Manager you will see "In Use" and "Available" memory.  When you've loaded everything, make sure you have some Available memory left.  If that get's below 2 GB or so I'd recommend increasing the total memory in the system.  Your performance will tank if your system runs out of memory and is paging frequently no matter what CPU is installed, so avoid that.  Whatever you decide for memory requirements, it's best to use two SODIMMs to fully utilize the memory performance of these CPUs, so if you want 16 GB, I'd recommend 2x 8GB, for 32 GB use 2x 16 GB.  This system supports up to 64 GB total.

For your last question on operating environment, I understand the concern, but this system is designed to operate across a wide range of environmental conditions.  Here is a link to the specs, you can scroll down and review the Operating Environment specs for the system (https://thinkstation-specs.com/thinkstation/p330-tiny/).  You can see that the system is designed to operate up to 35 C.  Keep in mind that at higher temperatures the system fans will need to run faster, so it will be louder in hotter conditions.  The small size is actually an advantage to a larger system in terms of airflow.  It's easier to keep air moving over critical components in a small system, so there is no need to worry about that!

Best of luck!

Options

3 Posts

05-25-2020

US

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-05-25, 3:54 AM

PSREF has just been updated and shows the P340 Tiny with the new 10th-gen processors. The website however doesn't show it as of now. Any idea on how long roughly it takes until we'll be able to order it? 

Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete