Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 9

P340 Tower Microphone No Working

2020-12-30, 16:23 PM

I am having a problem with the audio on my new P340 Tower. Sound output works fine, but the microphone input does not. If I plug a microphone into the microphone input jack on the front panel the microphone is recognized by Windows 10 and shows up in the dropdown list of input devices in the Windows setup Sound panel. However, the mic does not work in the “Test your microphone” section of the Windows sound settings panel or in other applications. I have tried plugging two different microphones into the mic jack and neither work. I also tried a usb microphone with the same negative result. All three microphones work on other computers.

If I plug a microphone into the headphone jack on the front panel it does work, but then, of course, the audio output from the rear panel jack is disabled and I get not sound output. 

I'm at a loss as to what the problem might be. Any thoughts?

Options

225 Posts

07-14-2015

United States of America

323 Signins

3400 Page Views

• Views: 3400
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:P340 Tower Microphone No Working

2020-12-30, 20:22 PM

When you are running the "Test your microphone" there is no input response seen at all? Is this a microphone headset, or just a single microphone? By all accounts you are doing nothing different from when you plug the microphone into the rear port from when you are plugging it into the front port?

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2020-12-30, 22:03 PM

No response at all (aside from the name of the microphone appearing in the input device dropdown list) when running the "Test your microphone" when a microphone is plugged into the front panel microphone input. There is a response if I plug it into the front panel microphone jack. These are single microphones, not headsets. There is no rear microphone port, just the line-out port, which is connected to external speakers. It's very strange. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Options

4978 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3582 Signins

50240 Page Views

• Views: 50240
  • Message 4 of 9

2020-12-31, 1:31 AM

Have you tried updating or reinstalling the audio driver for your system using the driver from the Lenovo support site?  Since the mic(s) seem to be recognized properly, I'm tempted to think this might be a SW/driver issue.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-01-01, 17:37 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded and reinstalled the audio driver, but I still have the same problem. When I plug a microphone into the front panel microphone input jack it is recognized in the device dropdown list, but it does not produce any input. If I plug the same microphone into the front panel headphone jack it does produce input, but then the rear audio line-out is disabled. Any other suggesting before I pursue a warrantee repair claim?  

Options

4978 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3582 Signins

50240 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-01-04, 17:00 PM

Do you have details on the mic(s) you're using?  Vendors and part numbers would be helpful.

Based on what your saying, I'm wondering if your device is a headset device that has both mic (input) and headphone (output).  If so, that device would have to be plugged into the appropriate port on the front panel to function properly, which would be the headset port (closest to the USB type-C connector).

Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-01-04, 20:47 PM

Only one of the mics I tried was USB C. That is a Jounivo JV-603Pro. It is possible that that unit is defective. The other two mics are small, generic, condenser type mics.   They are not headset devices. Both work when plugged into other computers. They also work if plugged into the front panel headphone port on the P340, but not if plugged into the front panel microphone port.

Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-01-05, 18:40 PM

I have an update. I purchased another USB microphone and it works as expected. This confirms that the previous USB microphone which did not work was defective. However, microphones plugged in to the front panel microphone port still do not work. They are recognized by Windows 10, but there is no sound input. Could the microphone port be defective?

Options

4978 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3582 Signins

50240 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-01-06, 15:35 PM

Could you possibly post pictures of the 3.5mm plug for the mic(s) in question along with which ones are working or not working in each port?  I think that might help us rule out some things from the hardware side.

Anything is certainly possible when it comes to potentially defective hardware, but based on the fact that the mics are seemingly being detected upon insertion and simply not functioning properly, I tend to think it might be something else aside from a defective headphone port.  But the pics should help us debug further.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms