cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuboBubo
Paper Tape
Views: 285
Message 1 of 12

P500: Using two Nvidia Titan Xp graphics cards?

Hello! I want to use 2 Nvidia Titan Xp graphics cards. So I need to buy a new power supply connector with two 8+6pin drops, but it seems there is only one 8+6pin drop. I would like to now the FRU of the connector that I want, if there is any.

The PSU is 54Y8908 (650W) and I will upgrade it to 54Y8907 (850W).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 255
Message 2 of 12

Re: P500: Using two Nvidia Titan Xp graphics cards?

Are the Titan XP cards you're looking to use the Maxwell version, or the Pascal version?

In either case, I'm worried that combination is going to be too much for the power supply to handle.  The Titan XP cards have a very high input EDP current spec, and with dual cards installed with the 850W PSU, each card would essentially be on its own rail.  It's highly possible either card could end up going over current and causing the PSU to shut down.

We can possibly take a look at it for you in the lab if you can tell us which version of the Titan XP you plan to use.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
BuboBubo
Paper Tape
Views: 245
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your reply. I want to use the Pascal version. Now there are two GPUs in my workstation, GTX Titan X (Maxwell, TDP 250W) and Quadro K620 (TDP 30W). And output of current PSU is 650W. So i guess a 850W PSU may be enough for 2 Titan Xp cards (2*250W)
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 239
Message 4 of 12

I'll see if we can take a look at this sometime this week.  The overall power is not necessarily the only concern.  My biggest concern is how high the current gets and how long it stays at peak levels.  So adding up the card TDPs doesn't really tell you the whole story here.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
BuboBubo
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 5 of 12

Thank you so much for your help. Waiting for your test result. But will there be the same issue of current even if I install only 1 Titan Xp? Is it possible to avoid this problem by limiting the power cap of the card? 

Edit: Does GTX 1080ti cards also have a very high EDP current spec like Titan Xp?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 223
Message 6 of 12

The difference when installing a single Titan XP is that you're using both internal power drops to power the (single) card, which essentially splits the load across two internal rails.

In the case of two cards, now each card is being driven by a single rail (once the power connections are correctly dongled as needed).  This can cause some issues if the peak current becomes too high.

Capping the card power using Nvidia's utilities is certainly a possibility.  I think we've tried this in the past, but for the life of me I can't remember if it worked.  We can give that a try as well during testing if we can find the right command Smiley Happy.

Most any higher end Pascal card (and forward) has this high input EDP current issue.  You'd see the same potential issues with the 1080Ti as with the Titan XP.

BuboBubo
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 7 of 12

Hi. I am just wondering how is the test going.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 162
Message 8 of 12

Sorry, this kind of slipped off my radar.

Testing with dual Titan XP cards in a P500(or P510) with the 850W PSU failed as I suspected.  The input EDP current issue is most likely to blame.

So you can certainly get the cards to function, but if you intend on working them to full load, then there's a solid chance you'll see the system hit an overcurrent condition and the PSU will latch up and power off to protect itself.  Not exactly something you want to see in heavy or long run workload.  

A single Titan XP in that same config should be just fine since you can use the two available 12V rails to split the load.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
gongml
What's DOS?
Views: 62
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

I am also looking for a server that can host dual Titan XP (or dual 2080Ti) cards.  If P500 cannot, how about P920?

Thanks a lot for advices!

Wishes

gongml

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 54
Message 10 of 12

@gongml - For the cards you mentioned, I would certainly recommend the P920 over the P5XX series.  Dual Titan XP should not be an issue, and you could drive these in P920 with a single CPU if you didn't have the need/want to populate the 2nd CPU.  Doing so would force both cards into the "lower" PCIe slots.  If you wanted to split the cards and put one in the upper slots and one in the lower slots, you would need to have both CPUs populated.

Dual 2080Ti is potentially a different story.  Those are still under evaluation, and last I heard Nvidia was still fighting a thermal issue with those.  I think we can support 2 of the 2080Ti cards in P920, but you would almost certainly want to split these cards and run one in the upper PCIe slots and one in the lower PCIe slots (2 CPUs required).  This is in reference to the Founder's Edition, which for the 2080 series, Nvidia changed the termal design to a 2 fan design.  This design doesn't work well in a "stacked" configuration where 2 cards are placed directly next to each other.  One card ulimately will be starved for airflow.  My personal recommendation for this would be to look for 2080Ti "reference designs" that utilize the more traditional single fan impeller thermal design.  This pulls air in from the end of the card and exhausts it out the rear of the chassis, which is a much better airflow design for use in our systems.  I know I've seen 2080 designs that use this thermal design, but not sure if I've seen the 2080Ti class picking up this thermal solution...yet.  

Disclaimers (Smiley Happy):

- Neither of these GPUs are officially supported on ThinkStation.  Calling support if you encounter a problem is likely not going to get you very far.

- We typically only investigate the Founders Edition cards (unless there's a version that we're specifically claiming support for).  So if you choose to use a different version, any claims about possible support might change.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors