Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barlowdog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,653
Message 1 of 14

P500 instal W7 OS on SSD

I have recently purchsed a P500 workstation with no OS preinstalled and wish to instal Windows 7 64 bit OS.

The workstation is configured with a 1TB HDD on SATA 1 and a 256GB SSD.

I specified the SSD to be set up as the boot drive i.e.

1st M2 SSD Selection: 256 GB SSD, M.2, PCIe-NVMe, OPAL = Capable

Internal M.2. SSD Boot Drive: Yes.

Under the BIOS Setup Utility System Summary the HDD shows as SATA 1 and the SSD as Mezz1=PCIe-P1.

When I try to instal the OS from a new installation disk I select Custom Instal but the only drive listed is the HDD.

Using Diskpart from the CMD line also only lists the HDD as Drive 0.

I am reasonably computer literate but haven't installed a new OS before with this type of configeration.

I would be grateful for some assistance.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,638
Message 2 of 14

Re: P500 instal W7 OS on SSD

Your issue is probably a driver issue as Windows 7 doesn't have native support for booting PCIe storage devices.  

A couple of things to check...

1.  Make sure your PCIe SSD is installed in the correct slot on the FLEX adapter.  P500 only has support for a single M.2 PCIe device via slot 1 on the FLEX adapter.

2.  Is your OS installation disc win7 with Service Pack 1?

Unfortunately I don't have an easy answer to solve this issue at this time.  The default answer right now (from Microsoft) is that you need to essentially rebuild the windows installation ISO to include the necessary driver which is provided in a hotfix.  

More info can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

This method is rather complicated for average users in my opinion, but it will work and right now it's the "official" way to solve this issue for NVMe devices.  We're working on releasing a driver package that you can simply supply during the install process to get it to work as well, but it's not currently ready at this time.

NOTE:  I assumed you were talking about a NVMe M.2 PCIe device.  If you're using an AHCI M.2 PCIe device, then you should be able to install win7 to that without additional drivers as long as your intstallation disc has SP1 integrated into it.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Barlowdog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,625
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for this reply.

The device is NVMe and it was factory fitted for a boot device so should be installed in the correct slot but I will check.

I'll try the Microsoft solution when I get back from holiday and post the result then.

Kind regards.

Barlowdog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,614
Message 4 of 14

I took a look at the Microsoft fix and it looks a little scary.

How long before Lenovo release their package?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,597
Message 5 of 14

I don't have a target date at this time.  I can double check once I'm back in the office after the holidays and see if I can get you a tenative date.

If you need something urgently, shoot me a PM and I can give you some suggestions.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Barlowdog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,521
Message 6 of 14

Did you get chance to check up on a target date for this fix yet?

I'm not keen on tackling the complicated Microsoft fix.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,509
Message 7 of 14

I'm hearing sometime in mid-January, but let me see if I can get something more concrete for you.

I've got a beta version of the driver that appears to work just fine.  Just not sure when it's going to be ready for distribution.

Barlowdog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,502
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for that.

I would be happy to give the beta version a field test when it is ready.

Lenovo Employee Oemchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,432
Message 9 of 14

Hello,

one of my business partners had similar issues.

They solved it by using the NVMe drivers during installation (F6 drivers) for the Samsung NVMe modules.

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

Section G = Samsung

I can't guarrantee that it will work for everyone, but it's worth a try...

Best Regards,

Omar

Lenovo Employee shadowzhu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,415
Message 10 of 14

Dears: U can use this test version from third party , I have test this driver  this monday ,it works with the Samsung SM 951 NVMe disks ,but this one is not the official version 。

Lenovo will release the final version as soon as possible.

Tip need to use UEFI boot system Windows7 64 bits, and a more advanced version of the system

PSUturtle edit:

I removed the zip file that was originally posted as it had an internal structure not consistent with the beta driver we're actually using.  I've reattached the correct beta driver package to this thread.  Also removed comment about UEFI boot being required.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors