Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 11 of 17

Re: P510 no longer wakes up from keyboard after motherboard replacement

2018-01-30, 15:26 PM

Hello xwan!  

I understand that not having to reinstall your OS is paramount here.Have you thought about trying to boot a live CD or temporarily to another supported OS to see if the sleep functionality works there?  

In addition to the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, I would also recommend flashing back up to the latest or a recent BIOS dated after the SIO firmware's release date, updating your OS, and re-running the SIO firmware package with your new hardware/software combo.  My understanding is that the OS, BIOS, and the firmware must be running at compatible levels (preferably the latest) for you to get full functionality (although your symptom sounds like a pretty basic failure).  

If the SIO package must be run from a USB stick make sure you run the SIO package from a USB port in the back of the system, not the front. 

Also, since you're generously welcoming questions I just wanted to confirm:

a) the sleep issue was not present before the motherboard replacement

b) what symptom prompted the mobo replacement and is that issue fixed?

Let us know how it works out, I know I'd be annoyed if S3 was a death sentence for my workstation.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

9 Posts

01-25-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 12 of 17

2018-01-30, 19:57 PM

Still no luck after multiple tests and here are what I have done:

Updated BIOS to S00KT56A that was released yeterday :smileyhappy: Loaded with default values again.

SIO/FPIO firmwaer is up to date, reported by the SIO/FPIO setup downloaded from Lenovo support today.

Now to answer your remaining questions:

a) The workstation never had sleep/wake up issues until if failed to start and got motherboard replaced under warranty weeks ago.

b) The workstation suddently restarted under normal use on 1/12/2018 and no longer booted up afterward with amber flashing light on front panel. Downloaded diag file through FP diag USB port and decoded the file by Lenovo online tool. The report is available at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X4g1b0RrV43NmkquIhm2hu9Xml7X06aN   Report error codes are: B04F and S031.

btw, this reply is typed up from Windows 10 to Go and thanks for the continous help and suggestions.

Options

5256 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3702 Signins

51735 Page Views

• Views: 51735
  • Message 13 of 17

2018-01-31, 4:31 AM

Thanks for the update.  Each post seems to cross some things off (in my opinion) as to what the culprit could be.

Still a bit stumped here, but since your issue seemed to start only with the motherboard replacement, I'm wondering if it might be worth a shot to give the CPU socket a good inspection.  I'm guessing your original CPU was moved over to the new board during the motherboard replacement process, and it can be incredibly easy to end up with a bent CPU pin or some sort of debris in the socket.  

Assuming your comfortable with it, I'd consider removing the CPU and giving both the socket pin field and the bottom of the CPU a good inspection.  A bent CPU pin can often be spotted with good lighting and just looking for abnormalities in the array.  I wouldn't recommend any attempt to fix issues with the socket should you see one...that would be time to initiate another service call :)

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

9 Posts

01-25-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 14 of 17

2018-02-03, 1:18 AM

Finally found some time to checked the CPU socket, even had my macro lens ready to take a close-up picture.

Unfortunately, the heatsink screws are extremely tight and I was only able to loosen two screws away from heatsink fins. The two screws next to heatsink fins didn't move at all because I couldn't apply more torque on the screwdriver due to tight space and short handle. Long handle screwdrive has blade that is too thick. After 10 minutes of struggle with the screws, I put it back and turned it on to type this reply :smileysad:

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 15 of 17

2018-02-05, 14:58 PM

Hello again, sorry to hear you've got to inspect your socket.

Needing too much torque can be a warning sign, so from this point on you'll want to be extra careful. 

On that platform the heatsink screws are both hex and philips head with a depth mismatch on the perpendicular flanges and a slight divot in the middle.  If you're having no luck with normal hand torque with your usual philips head, try using a wider faced flathead with a thinner tip just to break the seal.  This can also help on a heatsink screw whose hex has gotten a bit rounded.

Make sure you start with the screw located clockwise to the keying triangle on the cpu/socket.  Then, in the reverse install order use enough torque on all 4 screws to break the seal, but don't fully remove or even unscrew each one at first.

Once you're sure all four screws can be turned, continue to remove the heatsink screws in the proper (reversed from install) order.  

Once you get the socket open if you can see no visible damage to the pins, sometimes it helps to blow out the socket with canned air or a non-ESD blower.  There can be dust down there if you left it uncovered for any amount of time.  If theres any thermal interface material around the socket, make sure to clean it up, as it tends to fall into the socket. 

Also, you can make sure that the contact points of the bottom of the CPU are free of any dust/residue with a dab of alcohol.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5256 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3702 Signins

51735 Page Views

• Views: 51735
  • Message 16 of 17

2018-02-14, 19:48 PM

Sorry I kind of got away from this thread.

The fact that you can't get two of the heatsink screws to loosen up is a bit concerning.  Since you mentioned the board was replaced, I'm almost wondering if the tech that did the replacement cranked the heatsink screws down too far when they reassebled the system.  It really doesn't take a lot of torque to secure the heatsink properly....maybe on the order of 15-20 inch-pounds if memory serves.  That shouldn't be terribly difficult to break loose with normal hand tools.

The heatsink screws are designed to support both phillips and flat blades, but just keep in mind if it happens to be overtorqued that either of those could end up damaging the screw head as you attempt to back it out.  If you have access to the right tools, a 4mm hex head adapter should also fit.  This is also the safest method in terms of least likely to cause damage to the screw head.  We have 6' thin barrel 4mm bits that we use, but those can be difficult to find in most stores (I've looked :)).

If all else fails, I wouldn't hesitate to open another service ticket to have the tech come back out and reinstall the heatsink (if you don't have the tools that allow you to do it yourself or don't feel comfortable with it).  Of course, before doing that I'd also probably try a clean reinstall of the OS to ensure your wake issue is not software related.  If a clean OS installation fails and the problem still exists, then I'd really start to question whether there is a hardware problem, possibly in the CPU area due to the heatsink being overtorqued.  The remedy in that case would likely be another motherboard replacement unfortunately.  That's a lot of "ifs" though, so best to take it one step at a time.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Answer
Options

9 Posts

01-25-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 17 of 17

2018-05-09, 16:40 PM

Update on this issue:

Replaced the motherboard again (along with PSU) today due to a recent reported PCI Express issue during self test.

Wake up from keyboard works again! So it seems to be a motherboard issue after all.

Same default settings for BIOS.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms